It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a toilet not a restroom, get over yourselves! ...and other annoying Americanisms

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

The fact that you did not know 'asshat' means you've got your head jammed up your ass and appear to be wearing your buttcheeks for a hat means you're a royal asshat.

The fact that I'm more than happy to publicly call you out for being an asshat, means I'm a royal asshole.

See the difference?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

The fact that you did not know 'asshat' means you've got your head jammed up your ass and appear to be wearing your buttcheeks for a hat means you're a royal asshat.

The fact that I'm more than happy to publicly call you out for being an asshat, means I'm a royal asshole.

See the difference?

Hmm...
The public call out is not asshole behaviour in my opinion, I did start the thread so invited alternative opinion by default.
Whatever, 'asshat' is lame as #

edit on 1.3.2016 by grainofsand because: clarity

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It's upbringing.. it's where you grew up.. it's what you learned from life experience. I call it a restroom because while serving in the Army, that's we ever called it. So, that term stuck. Soda or pop? Honestly.. who cares. : )

Creek? Crick? omg...

Don't judge folks too harshly. What you learn is what you know.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Water closet
Crapper
Backhouse
John
Throne
Potty
Library
Reading room

Almost as many words as the Inuit have for snow.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
loo, oval office, water closet, etc etc. pardonez moi but i put toilet water on today... thats actually a pitcher and a bason, for a bath. i simply made #e smell like other #e.

such an extreme over this that and the other and well sometimes a # is the only respite one can get to themselves with so much responsibility. better to bearth the buttocks take a rest and leave any crap in there than smile like you ate it... in a throne room. much to much and youll be hung over praying to the damned thing.
edit on 2-3-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Well my favorite expression is, "Excuse me, I have to drop the kids off at the pool."

My second favorite is saying "crapper", as the modern flush toilet was invented by John Crapper. I # you not.

Kev

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

I prefer "Gotta Bomb Japan".

It just seems to offend all the right people.

But its apt, sometimes it's safer to have been at Hiroshima and Nagasaki instead of being near the toilet I'm imploding.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I have to tell you.. this thread got me to giggling so hard, it triggered an asthma attack. I was rolling around from side to side and squealing, and woke my wife up from dead sleep, though I desperately tried not to do so.

There is NOTHING better than potty humor to make one happy. Well it does seem to be mostly a man thing.

You know.. looking back with a big look of pride on one's face on occasion simply cannot be denied.

Kev

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Normally I read every post to make sure something hasn't been said, but I am just going to go ahead and point out the difference between 'using' a toilet and 'going' to the bathROOM (it is the room itself that carries the name, specifically because the english language is only capable of expressing the idea of a 'toilet-room' through euphemisms like men's room, water closet, etc. Even the word latrine cones from latin for 'to wash'.) While you may not find comfort in this, the British version of 'restroom' is 'retiring room'.

Frankly, I think that 'going' to a toilet to 'have' a dump sounds like an awful set of dinner plans, but to each their own.
edit on 8-3-2016 by ibatom because: Hooked on phonics worked for me!

edit on 8-3-2016 by ibatom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ibatom
the British version of 'restroom' is 'retiring room'.

Never heard that before so I Googled it and aside from a room in Indian railway stations where one can pay to stay for a day or two, there is nothing.
You made it up didn't you? Lol

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I suspect the poster has read and is misremembering that "drawing room" is short for "withdrawing room".
The ladies would withdraw there, after dinner, to chat amongst themselves while the gentlemen had their port and cigars and talked politics.

edit on 8-3-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
P.S. I don't think anyone has mentioned yet "the usual offices".

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I suspect the poster has read and is misremembering that "drawing room" is short for "withdrawing room".
The ladies would withdraw there, after dinner, to chat amongst themselves while the gentlemen had their port and cigars and talked politics.

The ladies were REQUIRED to withdraw from the room as it was deemed unsuitable for them to present during the discussion of politics and business.

It was felt that the concepts involved would overheat the female brain with its complexity and cause them to become ill.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
The ladies were REQUIRED to withdraw from the room as it was deemed unsuitable for them to present during the discussion of politics and business.

It was felt that the concepts involved would overheat the female brain with its complexity and cause them to become ill.

Sounds sensible...
[/runs for cover]

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Lol, I watched that years ago when it was broadcast...it really was bad times for women back in the day.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: hibbity

Is a half bath an En-suite?

*Can feel grain of sand going, 'En Suite'- who says please can I use your En-suite!??*

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

Lol, I lived in a tiny flat years ago which only had an en-suite.
Was a #ing nightmare as I had to keep my bedroom tidy in case guests needed a piss.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

You could have told them to go in the sink.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

I love this sketch

But I will stop sharing my opinions and go and stroke a kitten.

Aren't kittens wonderful

edit on 8/3/2016 by MrsNonSpecific because: My run addled my brain

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join