It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experiment Shows Differences Between Children With Guns in the Home and Those Without

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Please, for the lives of your children, teach them about firearms safety!

The life of your child and mine depend on it!

Especially since your untrained kid will probably shoot my kid because you neglected to teach them responsible gun safety.

Video at the link:
fox17.com...

Experiment Shows Differences Between Children With Guns in the Home and Those Without
By Adrian Mojica Friday, February 26th 2016

An experiment held in Texas by police officers and parents had some interesting findings.

Police put a fake gun which could not be fired in a room and then let eight children into the room. It took a child just 15 seconds to find the gun. With parents and law enforcement watching, the children were passing the fake weapon around, aiming it and attempting to shoot it.

While the result might not be surprising to most, the children who didn't touch the weapon were children whose families have guns inside the home and have explained the dangers and responsibilities of guns.

edit on 26-2-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
So kids trained to use guns don't miss handle guns. Who woulda thunk it?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Your kid comes into my home there is absolutely no way either mine or yours is gonna get a hold of mine. Well unless I assume room temp suddenly and they lift it off me. Just keep em stored safe and all the problems gone, as with taking the curiousity out of the equation by proper education.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Yep. I grew up in a household that had a gun. I was introduced to it at a rather young age.

My father showed it to me, told me how to load it, how to hold it, etc. At the end of the lecture, I was then told in no uncertain terms that if I ever touched it I would not be able to sit down for a very long time.

It was a lesson that stuck with me for my entire childhood.

-dex

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

What a dangerous experiment.

Next thing you know these impressionable young'uns will be chewing their toaster pastries into guns and become threats to national security.

Seriously though, a five year old could've figured this out.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

This is exactly why in addition to teaching my kids basic firearms safety procedures and a healthy respect for the weapon, I include my son when I do a build. At this point he can tear down and put an AR together from a box of parts if need be. In my house there's a bigger chance one of the dogs will create an accidental discharge while everything is locked in the safe than there is of either of my kids touching a firearm without me giving them permission let alone picking one up, locking a round into the chamber and pulling the trigger. Actually, there is one exception to the rule and that's in the rare occasion that I'm not home and an intruder gains entry. Any stranger comes into the house and makes it past the Akitas is in for a short lesson in the finer details of self preservation. Just to be clear, everything is always locked in one of the safes. At night while I'm sleeping, I have something next to the bed for emergencies and on the rare occasion I leave my son home without me, he gets the key to the downstairs safe and returns it to me when I get back home. Each room that a safe is kept in is wired with cameras and recorded to a DVR just in case I need to identify a thief. It also means I can check the feed while I'm not home from my phone, a tablet etc... and my son has not once gone near the safe let alone opened it while I was out of the house. I'm pretty confident I have taught him well.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
"We let a bunch of children in a room with a fake gun, the ones who were educated reacted accordingly, the ones that weren't acted accordingly."

Hopefully no money was spent on this "experiment".

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
By the time I could walk my father was showing me what firearms could do and why I could only handle them as I grew older and more responsible. I never touched a gun that I shouldn't have and never had the desire to. On the other that belt was one hell of deterrent too, lol!

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I grew up with guns in the house, they were always locked up.
I was taught by my father who is a former drill instructor out of Fort Knox, how to use, dismantle, clean and reassemble and most of all safety and respect for every gun in the safe. And I have passed that along to my son. None of us ever had a ND ...ever.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Teach them or the TV will and its as bad as your average media reporter.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
So the obvious, intelligent conclusion is not to have guns if you have children. That is more effective and makes a lot more sense.

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

And the kids without guns are the ones who have no clue what to do when they run across one except to treat like they saw Rambo do it on TV last week ...

Uh-huh ...

I think you don't understand.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The NRA had a program years ago that taught kids about gun safety. They had a safety instructor that would speak in schools. Those programs were phased out by liberal school administrators because "guns are evil"... whatever... if you teach your child gun safety and proper handling, along with the shooter's responsibilities... well, he probably won't shoot up his high school to thin down the graduating class...

Feed him psychotropic meds (as prescribed, of course... all teen angst can be medicated,. after all... ), give no education and let video games feed his moral compass... then let the media glorify his crimes... recipe for disaster.

ALL of my kids have been very well instructed as to proper firearms handling.... they are all excellent shooters, and not ONE of them has killed themselves ACCIDENTALLY... NOR have they shot up their schools.

Awesome topic!

edit on 26-2-2016 by madmac5150 because: Sponge Bob!!

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
We have guns.

I've had kids (most grown now).

Guns are locked up, and so is the ammo. Keys are with me at all times.

Just like dangerous cleaners or prescription drugs: Keep Out Of Reach Of Children.

Problem solved. No over reacting or knee jerk crap laws needed.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

what utter bollox

the " experiment " does NOT show :

Differences Between Children With Guns in the Home and Those Without

it actually shows the difference between children who are educated in firearm saftey and those that are not

Adrian Mojica`s employers really need to reconsider thier hiring choices

because erin smith and david berger died to demonstrate that mr Mojica is an idiot

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I grew up in West Virginia ( a shooter's state... look up WVU's NCAA record...)

I remember one of the very first shooting lessons that I was taught. My uncle handed me his .30-06 rifle, and had me shoot a melon at 100 yards. I hit it dead center, and it disintegrated into a large pinkish cloud.

I was 11.

He said to me (I will never forget it...) NEVER point a firearm at anything unless you are ready to kill it, and face the consequences after.

That was an amazing lesson.

Smart man, my uncle...

edit on 26-2-2016 by madmac5150 because: San Dimas High School rules!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
So the obvious, intelligent conclusion is not to have guns if you have children. That is more effective and makes a lot more sense.

Of course! Don't train your child to handle any possible situation!

Train them to hope they will never need that information!

Kind of like teaching a child not to drown by throwing them in a lake.
edit on 27-2-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
In my firearms class, the instructor warned to always check a gun's breach for a live round, no matter WHO handed it to you.

Then they called a kid up to the front on a different premise to handle the gun. Just after the kid took it, the instructor said "whoa", grabbed the gun and opened the bolt....out popped a (dummy) round. As it clanged on the floor we were all silent.

That lesson worked.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
In my firearms class, the instructor warned to always check a gun's breach for a live round, no matter WHO handed it to you.

Then they called a kid up to the front on a different premise to handle the gun. Just after the kid took it, the instructor said "whoa", grabbed the gun and opened the bolt....out popped a (dummy) round. As it clanged on the floor we were all silent.

That lesson worked.

And it is AMAZING how many IDIOTS screw up everything for responsible gun owners...
edit on 27-2-2016 by madmac5150 because: 2 letters

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
We have guns.

I've had kids (most grown now).

Guns are locked up, and so is the ammo. Keys are with me at all times.

Just like dangerous cleaners or prescription drugs: Keep Out Of Reach Of Children.

Problem solved. No over reacting or knee jerk crap laws needed.

No gun locker.

No ammo.

No guns.

No kids.

Problem solved.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join