It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Robert Pickton pens book for sale on Amazon"/Book Pulled, No Law to Stop Profiting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Robert Pickton, the notorious "Pig Farmer" serial killer who murdered at least 6 sex workers (and probably closer to 30+) in British Columbia in the 90's and early 00's has penned a book titled, 'Pickton: In His Own Words'. Apparently the book is a ramble of scripture and declarations of innocence. Pickton used a man named Michael Chilldres to get the book to a Colorado based self- publisher. The publisher, Outskirts Press, has expressed remorse for publishing the book, and did not realize the book was actually penned by Pickton.

Amazon has removed the book from their websites after outrage from the victims families, as well as a huge push from BC legislators. Currently, British Columbia has no laws preventing criminals profiting from book sales. Apparently, British Columbia's Premiere, Christy Clark, is working on drafting a law preventing this happening again as I type this.

Flurry of Links

For those of you who aren't familiar with Robert Pickton:

Robert William "Willie" Pickton (born October 24, 1949)[2] of Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada, is a former multi-millionaire pig farmer[3] and serial killer convicted in 2007 of the second-degree murders of six women.[4][5] He was also charged in the deaths of an additional twenty women,[6] many of them from Vancouver's Downtown Eastside; however, these charges were stayed by the Crown in 2010.[7] In December 2007, he was sentenced to life in prison, with no possibility of parole for 25 years – the longest sentence then available under Canadian law for murder.[8]
Wikipedia

Personally, I have an unpopular opinion about this. I don't see the difference in a book written by a serial killer, and a book written by a crime writer or journalist. I do agree that no serial killer should profit from the sale of the book, but it doesn't mean they cant write one and give it away. Is it disturbing? Yes, disgusting even; but serial killers are disturbed, disgusting individuals. Rare book collectors and serial killer groupies have probably purchased the majority of the copies.

Robert Pickton is in jail for life with no chance of getting out, so I wonder where the money will go that he did make. Who is this Michael Chilldres individual? Will the new law that is sure to be drafted soon be retroactively applied to the profits fro Pickton's book?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Personally, I have an unpopular opinion about this. I don't see the difference in a book written by a serial killer, and a book written by a crime writer or journalist. I do agree that no serial killer should profit from the sale of the book, but it doesn't mean they cant write one and give it away. Is it disturbing? Yes, disgusting even; but serial killers are disturbed, disgusting individuals. Rare book collectors and serial killer groupies have probably purchased the majority of the copies.

I agree with your opinion on the matter.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I applaud Amazon. You would join those outraged families if it had effected your family.

I don't see the difference in a book written by a serial killer, and a book written by a crime writer or journalist

This is a disturbing statement for various reasons.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

I applaud Amazon. You would join those outraged families if it had effected your family.

I don't see the difference in a book written by a serial killer, and a book written by a crime writer or journalist

I can understand why Amazon did what they did and, if it was my decision to make (in their shoes) I would have made the same decision that they did.
But I do not agree with book burning, so I say if there is a publisher that chooses to print such books, that is afforded the same First Amendment protection as a book about flowers and butterflies.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

effected your family.....This is a disturbing statement

Even more disturbing is how I'm affected by your incorrect placement of "effected"

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I guess I have to ask why he can't write it, but crime writers can as well? If all the money goes to the families, and he receives nothing.

Do crime writers give their money to the families?

I wouldn't read the book, but it does make me wonder.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

You totally glossed over my statement that the serial killers shouldn't profit. Families don't have to read any books. Every major crime will have a graphic, gory book written about it by someone.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I'm in the same boat as you and butcher guy.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Amazon didn't burn the books, they pulled them. I agree with their decision.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

If that disturbs you, you are really gonna be comatose when TSHTF.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I glossed over nothing. There is a reason there is a diff. Between fiction and nonfiction.

top topics

join