It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Come to Canada to flee US Politicians "

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
A man from Canada who's trying to bring more people flocking to his town has made much progress after saying if people want to leave America, due to the fact of Trump (or Hillary) becoming president, their welcome to come.

www.rollingstone.com...

Calabrese and his wife have been following the U.S. election with a keen interest, and they think it could hold the key to reversing Cape Breton's fortunes. "There's always a group, mostly Democrats, who threaten to move to Canada if so-and-so is elected," Calabrese says. "This year you may hear that more than ever, so we wanted to get out in front of it, and let those people know, 'Hey! Here's your chance. We will welcome you with open arms.'" The difference this year, of course, is Donald Trump — the most disliked candidate of either major party. Over the course of his campaign, Trump has alienated vast swaths of individuals: Mexicans, black Americans, Muslims, women. And these are the folks Calabrese is targeting. In Cape Breton, he says, "we don't care about your religion, we don't care about your gender, how you identify, your orientation, your race. We need people who want to make a new life in a peaceful place." For those unfamiliar with Cape Breton, Calabrese has made a website enumerating the island's many virtues; it's a place where "women are legally able to choose an abortion, Muslim people can roam freely, and the only 'walls' are holding up the roofs of our extremely affordable houses." But that's not all. On Cape Breton — which Calabrese notes is often ranked among the world's most beautiful islands — "health care is free, you know your neighbours and they look out for you, and nobody has a hand gun!" Calabrese launched the website "at supper time" last Monday, and since then the responses have been rolling in. "I'd get one every half hour or 25 minutes, and I was answering them myself. My brother and wife started helping when it picked up, and we got to a point where they were coming every few seconds," he says. Calabrese, for his part, insists he's not anti-Trump. Rather, he says, "our way of life is opposite of the things he says in his campaign." "We just thought it would be a good opportunity to let people know: If you're nervous about the possibility of Trump being president... this is how it is here," Calabrese says.

edit on 22-2-2016 by DimensionalChange03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Uh, I'll pass. From what I've seen and heard from the Canadians here, your politicians are just as bad as ours.
Just more polite.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I don't know their politics, but Canada hasn't invaded dozens of countries over the past few decades, nor is their health care system their leading cause of bankruptcy claim. I'm an American btw..

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DimensionalChange03

I don't know their politics, but Canada hasn't invaded dozens of countries over the past few decades, nor is their health care system their leading cause of bankruptcy claim. I'm an American btw..

I guess all those Canadian soldiers I worked with weren't actually Canadian?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DimensionalChange03

You sure about that?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

"I guess all those Canadian soldiers I worked with weren't actually Canadian?"

--

I said Canada hasn't invaded dozen of countries. Are you not able to see a difference from what you said and what I said? War profiteering ring a bell? Billions in oil and weapons contracts.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Are you using Wikipedia for your argument? And you must have read past my statement about US health care causing mass bankruptcy and thousands of deaths every year.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

If I were to flee to another country, I would abide by their rules and culture.

Eh.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm not endorsing this as an answer, I just thought it was an interesting article.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Canada is too cold for my taste. Costa Rica here I come.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Roast yes, nice of you really to invite us The brotherhood we have established...so proud Chronic

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
No thanks.

I say round up all 535 congressman on capitol shill, and send them to club Gitmo.

As bad as things are here. There's no place like home.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   

So..................are you trying to say the Canada hasn't been involved in the wars listed on that page? Canada's World War II and GWOT veterans would probably have to disagree with you about that.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The people in Canada have fallen for the anti-Trump rhetoric. Supporting anything he says is nearly considered hate speech nowadays.

If you come to Canada, there is plenty of room and beauty, but please bring your constitution.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Antonio1

So are you trying to say Canada is even close to how insane the American government is, based on a Wikipedia page of Canadian conflicts that are mostly from the 1800s and early 1900s? Find a list a American invasions and it'll be twice as long.. And I guess that's why the entire conspiracy world is focused on Canada and not America.. All those Canadian invasions of countries that happen to be rich in oil.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

True, but there's no place like a country that let's you die if your a middle class american, as opposed to a country that has health care as a right? There's goods and bads on both ends.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory
The people in Canada have fallen for the anti-Trump rhetoric. Supporting anything he says is nearly considered hate speech nowadays.

If you come to Canada, there is plenty of room and beauty, but please bring your constitution.

We already have one, thanks. Unless you mean for tinder. Better off with an English/French lexicon or a metric conversion chart. Oh, and potential immigrants might want to think about leaving those guns behind as well.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Better scenario than companies and jobs leaving the country. The US has the biggest consumer market in the entire world and anyone who wants access to this incredible source of wealth and opportunity will stay and abide by the rules set.

Canada has it good because of America, there isn't a nation in the world that wouldn't love to have the geographic proximity and trade opportunities Canada has. If you want to hate America and benefit greatly from its existence Canada is a great place to do that.
edit on 23-2-2016 by DeadAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DimensionalChange03

Let us know when you move to Canada.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: TheTory

We already have one, thanks. Unless you mean for tinder. Better off with an English/French lexicon or a metric conversion chart. Oh, and potential immigrants might want to think about leaving those guns behind as well.

Something to wipe the tears upon seeing the programming we pay for on the CBC. Or maybe as a makeshift muzzle for when the government decides what you can and cannot say.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join