It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Feminism.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Extremist men's groups? What, like pick up artists?

The fact of the matter is, that this thread is just fine the way it is, and the OP has some solid points to make. If you believe that there should be a focus on the real issues as you see them, then I would love to see you make a thread on the subject, because God knows we could use some reality around these parts, especially during the US presidential campaign season.

However, this thread is legitimate. It posits an issue, provides a counter argument from the position of a feminist, and provides a useful counterpoint to the nonsense in videos like the one done by Buzzfeed, which asks utterly idiotic questions of an entire gender, which only apply to a tiny percentage of knuckle dragging halfwits.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

My point is that the OP has detracted from the real issue here by focusing on the insignificant while not even mentioning the underlying important issue, I see this as a further detraction which confuses me because this was the OPs entire premise for this thread, not to bash extreme feminists. It is confusing when a self-professed feminist does not make the real issues front and centre but chooses to treat the extreme rantings of a minority as being more important.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Well I think that the member was right to post her feelings the way she has. As I mentioned before in this thread, the tendency is for people to believe that every member of a particular demography (other than their own of course) is singing from the same hymn sheet. Therefore, a gentle reminder that the extremist angle taken by some feminists is not representative of the whole mass of feminists, is a reasonable point to make, not to mention an important one.

And for what it is worth, I am a British citizen and proud to be. There are an awful lot of things that need fixing up around here of course, infrastructural changes, power structure changes, banning money from politics, both on the part of parliamentarians, and on the part of businesses who might try to purchase their time or votes. But the thing that must be done first, before any of that CAN be addressed, is we need to rid ourselves of nationalist dogs who want to set up a Reich on my doorstep, and urinate on my ancestors memories in so doing.

I see no difference between the members attitude toward radical feminism, and my attitude toward rampant British nationalism. Both sicknesses requiring a cure before any proper progress else where is made impossible by their presence.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

That stuff does get discussed, just not in this thread, because...again...it's about Extreme Feminism.

I'll join in on your thread, though, if you want to discuss the stupid things that men say, too. Hell, instead of separating it by sex, just make a thread about stupid things that humans say...what's more equality-driven than just removing gender altogether?

But like I said, there are threads all over ATS that discuss the stupidity of extreme everythings, so I'm at a loss as to why you're wondering why nobody discusses it.

originally posted by: InTheLight

My point is that the OP has detracted from the real issue here by focusing on the insignificant while not even mentioning the underlying important issue, I see this as a further detraction which confuses me because this was the OPs entire premise for this thread, not to bash extreme feminists. It is confusing when a self-professed feminist does not make the real issues front and centre but chooses to treat the extreme rantings of a minority as being more important.

It's because "the extreme rantings of a minority" are usually done with the loudest bullhorns and the biggest bully pulpits, so those who are part of the actual movement get grouped in with the loud crazies. It happened with the Tea Party movement. It has happened with both the Democrats/Liberals and the Republicans/Conservatives. Hell, it even happens with us libertarian-minded people--we all just want pot-smokin' anarchists running around in a lawless nation, right? Every pro-choice individual loves the thought of live-birth abortions. Every pro-life person wants control of a woman's uterus and to silence her wishes. Right? Isn't all of this right?

No. Of course it's not, yet the loud bullhorns of the extremists in any politically focused group create the stereotypes of the group members, as if they're all autonomous robots without the capability of individual thought. That's the reality of modern life, where stereotypes hit internet memes faster than we can seek out and find objective journalism that tells the real story. It is what it is, and it's worth ranting about.

My wife is a combat vet. What stereotypes does that create in your mind without knowing anything about her as an individual?

edit on 23-2-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2016 by SlapMonkey because: spelleeng hawrd four mee

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

That's my point, progress is being made in spite of them, so that is where the focus should be. I just chimed in here to post the underlying root protest going on, which the OP failed to do, as I considered it more important.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: IvyNeptune
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I feel like for a job like that everyone should have to meet the requirements whether they are female or male.
Im sure a male who cant lift that amount wouldn't be accepted. it seems biased.

100% agreed

Obviously I understand "special treatment" in certain areas, such as maternity leave. things of that nature.
but a physical requirement like lifting a certain amount seems very important to a job like that. its not a job we should be messing around with just for the sake of being politically correct.

100% agreed, especially maternity leave.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IvyNeptune

a reply to: IvyNeptune

In researching this tampon issue, it appears there are worldwide protests regarding removing the taxing of this and other sanitary menstral items. For instance incontinence products are not taxed but menstral products are. So, I am not sure why you are focussing on one extreme feminist's comment and ignoring the main driving force behind this protest. Women's health issues and basic necessities (which should not be taxed) are still left in the dust.

www.bbc.com...

It wasnt just one comment that I was referencing. A lot of females in this 3rd wave movement of feminism were speaking of self rape. My whole point what that by this kind of nonsense it took away from the actual meaning. Like you said.. tax on tampons. So you only really proved my point that being extremist on issues take away from the real cause and real issues.

What is a lot? Whereas there is a worldwide protest to end taxation of a feminine hygiene product, which is a much more worthy topic for discussion than a radical feminist bashing thread, which in my opinion takes away from the important issues.

I could flood the rant forum with extreme men's rights groups who bash women threads, but I don't because they are a minority and their frustration and hatred is misguided - so what's the point of giving it any focus, it's a lost cause, just as with radical feminism.

At no point in my original post or any after the fact did I claim that fighting for equal rights, such as ending taxation on a product we all need to use as females, was not a worthy cause.
I understand the reasons you posted what you did. perhaps I should have highlighted the real reason for the free bleed protest. And its a good thing you did. But some of the replies you have made since that seem misplaced. I did mention some real issues that should be talked about but that was not my main focus.
You telling me what my main focus should be is a bit odd.

If I was wanting to make a post highlighting the difference that feminist protesters make I would have put it somewhere else.
However I posted it in the rant forum for the purpose of having a rant. My rant wasnt about people actually trying to make a difference. Its about the people slowing it down from the inside. And also because Ive been personally targeted by women like this when Ive voiced my opinion on certain issues to do with being female.
This was actually my first post, and it was something I felt annoyed about on the day I made it, and I still do.

Yelling extreme ideas at people doesn't make anyone want to listen. I think extremists of all kinds need to take this into account.

Suggesting that I should never have made this post in the first place seems a bit ridiculous, Yes you could make posts about radical groups of any kind that you feel passionate about, just like I did.

The way you phrased a few things highlighted my point on how if I dont say exactly what the Extreme new wave feminists want me to, then my opinion is invalid.

I am a female too. I care about Womens rights too.
Extremest groups annoy me. Regardless of that they are extreme about.
Ive personally had less run ins with Extreme Male Rights groups or people preaching for it, so I dont have anything to say about it currently. But you are certainly more than welcome to make this thread. Ill be sure to look out for it.

edit on 23-2-2016 by IvyNeptune because: because

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Well I think that the member was right to post her feelings the way she has. As I mentioned before in this thread, the tendency is for people to believe that every member of a particular demography (other than their own of course) is singing from the same hymn sheet. Therefore, a gentle reminder that the extremist angle taken by some feminists is not representative of the whole mass of feminists, is a reasonable point to make, not to mention an important one.

THANK YOU!

I never claimed all feminists. I used the word EXTREME for a reason.
And to say my one post about them some how takes away from what feminists are fighting for is a bit over the top. Where as me pointing out that EXTREME FEMINISTS take away from the real work being done is valid because people attitude towards people who claim to be feminist have CHANGED! people are prejudged. Kind of like People who are Muslim, being judged for isis. Cops trying to do a good job, being painted with the same brush as the bad ones.

I dont think I was wrong in making this post.
Ive been berated off and on by women who were extreme on their views, for things like suggesting kids develop better if they have a parent staying at home YES USUALLY THE WOMAN, or for saying I like gender roles in my own relationships. For wanting to be a housewife. For pointing out that women ARE PHYSICALLY WEAKER AVERAGELY THAN MEN.
all kinds of things.
sigh.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

In your somewhat misguided opinion you arrived at those conclusions. The OP went out of her way to stress how important she feels about genuine women's rights and her criticism was of the modern feminism movement — which it seems is more about demonising men and painting women as a protected class than it is about dealing with issues women face and supporting them.

I notice you have ignored my posts in other threads and don't expect you to reply to this one. I guess you are not confident enough in your convictions to debate these types of issues, so rather choose to ignore those whom bring up views that challenge your own.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=20408329]IvyNeptune[/post

These extreme feminists do not slow down progress and you give them too much power. This is where you err, also in not researching the reasons why these particular women were acting as they did. It is a very confusing thread where you claim your main premise is that extremism detracts from women's issues, yet you do not present the issues. However, rant on as you will, I made my point, repeatedly.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

These extreme feminists do not slow down progress and you give them too much power. This is where you err, also in not researching the reasons why these particular women were acting as they did. It is a very confusing thread where you claim your main premise is that extremism detracts from women's issues, yet you do not present the issues. However, rant on as you will, I made my point, repeatedly.

It sounds like you are trying to excuse the behaviour of radical feminists by claiming their views are somehow justified. Extremism of any kind cannot be justified in a civil society.

ETA: The OP most certainly DID present issues that women face. Maybe you should reread the opening post again.

edit on 24/2/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Im not sure where I would find research on why these particular women Im referring too over use the word rape. Or how that is possibly justified. I already said I should have referenced what the free bleed protest was for, and told you that you were right on that ONE point.

I also dont see how its justified that they ( extreme feminists that i have encountered) make me feel as if Im letting females down if I do not express the exact same feelings about something related to womens right or feminists, they way they do (like you are right now)

As other people pointed out to you, I did reference things I think are real issues when it comes to womens rights. Like Child brides for example. Infact its in BOLD on my original post.
And ill be honest.. I care more about those issues, than the price of tampons. Price of tampons does seem kind of petty next to things like Baby Girls being culled in places like India, because the familes can not afford the dowry.

edit on 24-2-2016 by IvyNeptune because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

That's my point, progress is being made in spite of them, so that is where the focus should be. I just chimed in here to post the underlying root protest going on, which the OP failed to do, as I considered it more important.

< raises hand >

What progress, exactly? I don't care about worldwide here, I'm talking in the US. As far as I can tell, at 31, the US is not much different for women than it was when I was 16. Please outline specifically what has changed profoundly to impact me on a day to day basis in that decade & a half.

I'll save you the energy of typing by saying basically not much. I've never felt oppressed or held back from anything, and virtually the only thing I can see that has changed over my life thus far is that tongue-in-cheek stereotype jokes are bad, m'kay (but screw you, I find them funny) For all the noise feminism entails, & for all the claims & promises made, it's been pretty unfulfilling, no? Perhaps because the "issues" aren't nearly as pronounced as claimed.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: IvyNeptune

Again, you are focusing and seemingly outraged over a few misguided women instead of being outraged at the inequality of this particular tax, and this is my point; sweeping the more important issue under the rug in favour of bashing a small group.

This petition needs more signatures, so please direct your outrage where some good can be done.

www.thepetitionsite.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

It's not necessarily to have tampons to exist. It is cleanlier, yes, but not necessary (ask the free bleeders)
Therefore, I find no reason to be offended about taxing it. Ooooh, so I have to pay a sales tax on them and pads, whoopdee-ish.

That's not a valid argument for stifling women, btw. No more so than complaining about the tax on douche products.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
No more so than complaining about the tax on douche products.

There is a tax on men?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Nyiah
No more so than complaining about the tax on douche products.

There is a tax on men?

Chuck gender out the windoww. In the interest of hygiene and making it cheaper to attain for everyone, should we also nix tax on body wash, shampoo & conditioner, soaps, hair removal products, adult diapers, enemas, etc?

No?

Then what's the problem here?
edit on 2/24/2016 by Nyiah because: gah, stupid window censor

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Frankly, as a man (a tough, sandwich-eating one at that) I am for as little taxes as possible.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I have no idea how Im sweeping things under a rug. Are you even reading my responses?

For the record I already signed the petition. Ive also given huge amounts of money to woman's shelters, Among other things. Been part of groups focused on lifting woman up. In fact thats all I do all day in my job.

Taxation on tampons is still a minor issue in my mind, compared to the other things Ive raised.
My rant is accurate, and I already (twice now) have agreed with you that I perhaps I should have mentioned more about the protest in general on my original post.

Taxation on tampons is a minor issue.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Nyiah

Frankly, as a man (a tough, sandwich-eating one at that) I am for as little taxes as possible.

I don't mind taxation, it really isn't much at the register to me. Just speaking as a paycheck-to-paycheck household.

The only thing I would like to see remain tax-free indefinitely is fresh foods. Processed not so much, but fresh fruit, veggies & meats, yes,

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join