It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genesis 32:22-32 Jacob beats up God!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
· Without any doubt, my favorite story of my favorite biblical character takes place at PeniEL. Im gonna start at 24. Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until daybreak.25 When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he struck him on the hip socket; and Jacob's hip was out of joint as he wrestled with him.26 Then he said, "let me go, for the day is breaking." But Jacob said, "I will not let you go, unless you bless me."27 So he said to him, "What is your name?" And he said, " Jacob."28 Then the man said, "You shall no longer be called Jacob, for you have striven with God and with humans, and have prevailed." 29 Then Jacob asked him, "Please tell me your name." But he said, "Why is it that you ask my name?" And there he blessed him.30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, " For I have seen God face to face and yet my life is preserved." 30

I'm going to stop here, so much going on.

Jacob just beat up and extorted a blessing from El/God.

Jacob saw his face, which is said to cause death. Even Moses only ever saw his back. Jacob figured out who this "man" was fast. He always was the smartest person in the OT, Solomon may have the title but I think Jacob is smarter. Whose name is still used to Identify the Jews? Israel. Solomon's reputation is as a man who went mad with wisdom and died a laughingstock according to the testament of Solomon. Who saw God's face and beat him in a wrestling match? Israel. To hell with the temple, this was the greatest feat any man ever accomplished.

#1: Why did God mention the time of day to persuade Jacob to release him?

#2: How did Jacob know who he was wrestling with was capable of blessing him?

#3: Does anyone know the esoteric meaning of this passage?

Peniel means face of God.
Israel means wrestles with God.

edit on 15-2-2016 by Rasalghul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I am reading Zecharia Sitchin's "The Lost Book of Enki".

The basic premise is that ancient astronauts came to earth to obtain gold to send back to their planet to disperse through their atmosphere to "heal" a breach. The task of gold mining became too onerous and they used their DNA and DNA from an upright walking ape on earth and created a slave species to mine their gold.

The genetically engineered human race looked up to their makers (the astronaut geneticists) and thought of them as gods.

Interesting, according to the Lost Book, in case of a contested kingship, the two astronaut aspirants to the throne would wrestle naked. Whoever won the wrestling match was crowned the new king.

There were half breed astronaut/humans as the astronauts sometimes took on human females as concubines. Their offspring were the "heroes of old" and probably included Noah, Abraham, Moses and maybe Jacob.

The story is probably about Jacob wrestling with one of the astronauts and winning the match entitled him to special favors.

edit on 15-2-2016 by TEOTWAIKI because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2016 by TEOTWAIKI because: mispell

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Rasalghul

I'd forgotten about this; more proof Jehovah was a demiurge, an imposter

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   
. Also keep in mind at this point Joseph had not been born, which could be significant. Israel's first child was Joseph, Jacobs had 11 children before he got the blessing. I love how he passes it on later on in the story. You gotta read it I don't want to spoil it, but its classic Jacob.

Joseph was protected by that blessing I be by extension in Egypt, all in a days work for God. He must be great at chess(jk).

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

edit on 15-2-2016 by intrptr because: redacted

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

I'd forgotten about this; more proof Jehovah was a demiurge, an imposter

Ny bible says its from the Yahwistic tradition but its an El based name. What do you think?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
That's not how the story goes.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

edit on 15-2-2016 by intrptr because: redacted

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I love how modern English bibles tame it down and lie saying it was an angel but thats not an honest translation. It was God himself.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I don't need a link I have my bible right here. Your thinking of Jacobs ladder.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Rasalghul

Not true. He is awake at 32 22 where the story starts and doesn't fall asleep.

Yes it is. Read the link I provided. The passage begins, He had a dream…

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Yes it is. Read the link I provided. The passage begins, He had a dream…

32:22-32 At no point is Jacob sleeping. Jacobs ladder is what you mean.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I don't need a link I have my bible right here. Your thinking of Jacobs ladder.

Oh, right you are, sorry… redacted.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
I sent you a message but sent it to myself by accident.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

'Sall good homie.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
If anything this just proves the Israelite's do not worship the one true God in no way can a mere mortal defeat the true creator of the universe in anything. What sort of ignorant fool would want a blessing from a God that is less powerful than him.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
If anything this just proves the Israelite's do not worship the one true God in no way can a mere mortal defeat the true creator of the universe in anything. What sort of ignorant fool would want a blessing from a God that is less powerful than him.

My bible says this is from the Yahwistic tradition, but IsraEl is an El Elyon based name. But Yahweh didn't exist in Jacobs time. It was El and his 70 sons before they "created" Yahweh and for a time Yahweh was one of the Sons. Then Yahweh was fuzed with El Elyon when they first claimed to only worship one God.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAIKI

I think it's written because it has their namesake victorious in defeating God. Who doesn't want to be related to that guy?

Sitchin seemed like a real nice guy but I didn't know him. Remember, he didn't write those books for free. Why would an atmosphere need gold, and how would you vaporize it?

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Jacob didn't fight "God" the creator of the Universe, he fought extraterrestrial angel.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Well, God,, being all powerful, has the POWER, to limit his own powers if he so wishes. Maybe he wanted to experience wrestling and made himself a physical equal to Jacob, promising himself Not to restore his powers until he either defeated Jacob, or until Jacob let him go. It could have happened that way. I'm sure there are some other explanations, but here is one possible one.

To the OP, thank you for sharing and reminding me of this awesome story

edit on 2/15/2016 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join