It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fantastic and Terrible News: Google search for the mind now exists.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
There now exists a patent for an AI-powered “cognitive assistant” which monitors your conversations and actions, understands your intentions and offers help only when you need it most.

The Cognitive Assistant functions as a sort of automatic 'search engine' where you can instantly receive the information you are looking for.

No more dictionaries, no more thesauruses, no more textbooks, your mind can now instantly get the information.

Clearly, this is an absolutely incredible achievement. If you've ever seen the movie "Limitless", essentially, this is what that is - without drugs. The ability to be your own google will allow for the progression of technology, creativity, cognitive ability, and much more because you'll have a limitless, flawless memory. Of course, (like the movie limitless) it will work best on people who already are creative and intelligent, simply because they can make use of all that information more productively.

The brainchild of computational neuroscientist Dr. James Kozloski, a master inventor at IBM Research, the cognitive digital assistant has lofty goals: by acting as an external memory search module, it hopes to help people with memory impairments regain the cognitive ability to navigate through life with minimal help.

For the rest of us? A searchable memory could give us the opportunity to make innovative connections, support brainstorming sessions and help us tackle more problems and think more deeply.

In a recent interview with the Atlantic, Kozloski laid out his plans for a human-AI mind-meld future.

This device, if it functions properly, is going to change human kind in it's entirety.

Of course, there is the obvious and terribly dark side of the spectrum:

Acting as a model of the user’s memory and behavior, it surveys our conversations, monitors our actions and — using Bayesian inference, a probabilistic algorithm often used in machine learning — predicts what we want, detects when we need help and offers support.

Any technology can be hacked. My question isn't "who will have access to it" because no matter what, I would never feel safe and anonymous if I had such a system inside my mind.

Even though the concept could be the one the largest steps humanity will take in the modern era, I cannot help but equally feel this terrible secondary potential for it all to just be yet another way to monitor and control the masses.

When the technology becomes available I have no idea what I will do with it.

~ Would I get it and have a computers ability to search and receive and have unlimited knowledge?
or
~ Would I reject the technology out of fear for my privacy and self control?

What I can tell is that, like all technology (and medicine), there is no way in hell that I'll ever be first in line. Too much can go wrong, and my mind is a place I rather keep stable.

What's your opinion?

Source

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I was just reading about their deep mind project. The Ai project they have that creatively solved its own problem.

www.newyorker.com...

Our world is about to change.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I just saw a tweet on this moments ago Ghost. Makes me happy. I may not even have to be engaged in a conversation or argument in the future.

Come o nnnnnnnnnnnnnn auto pilot. Will it use the potty for me as well???

living in interesting times.

Great find Ghost!!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Add in Google cars. No driver needed..and whalah. Ubur is out and so is text and driving casualties; )

Our world is So changing!!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Interesting. While the concept is far from new, I hadn't heard of this particular project before. You're absolutely correct that any technology can be 'hacked', but for every method of hacking a system, there are always ways to defend against it and to counter it. I would think the enhanced cognizant abilities would be able to assist in discovering ways of preventing such hacking.

Of course I just woke up and haven't had any coffee yet lol. I'll be back after I think about this some more.

S&F

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Very interesting development. But I think the real downside here is that humans will use their own innate capabilities less and rely on the AI more. So just like the couch potato who never exercises and turns into a flat blob, the brain will never really be challenged again.

The developer is a neuroscientist - I wonder if he considered that the brain, as an internal, functioning organ which requires stimulation, could turn into a flat blob?

That said, would have been great to have one of those at test time in school!

Nice find.

edit on 7-2-2016 by Phantom423 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2016 by Phantom423 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Imagine what this will do for production capabilities as it learns easier ways to process?

No more jobs!

Maybe we can finally create a culture worth living in!

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
interesting topic, S+F. I've been recently reading related topics on memeories, how memories are stored and how they are constantly being overwritten during the act of remembering. I was reading about research therapies on treating post tramatic stress disorders, that by reconjuring the memories, they can eventually be altered to cause less psychological damage to the person.

Every time we bring back an old memory, we run the risk of changing it. It’s more like opening a document on a computer – the old information enters a surprisingly vulnerable state when it can be edited, overwritten, or even deleted. It takes a while for the memory to become strengthened anew, through a process called reconsolidation. Memories aren’t just written once, but every time we remember them.

source

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
[there will never be any] arguments in the future.

Oh no, those will still exist. Some people can't accept an opposing person's information, regardless of how factual it is.

edit on 7/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: creation7

So it's like deleting and reinstalling the program?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
more of the ptsd memory research

"Memories are stored in the brain like individual files," Monfils said. "Each time they are opened, they can be modified before they're placed back in storage. Altering a memory during the time it is opened can create an updated memory that can be saved in place of the old one."

link

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: creation7

What's that mean for mind control and the media?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yipperz... maybe I can finally retire

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

First thing that came to mind was the film Idiocracy lol.

Nice find though. Heard a few companies were trying to develop a mind brain integrated AI system.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Age old question: Are we using the machines to do more and be more or to do less and be less? Will the machines make us crippled retards or will they make us fit and of genius mind?

Will hte tech be used to improve humanity or to improve the elite? Will whatever survives stay human in a recognizable way?

Truth always seems to fall inbetween. Our fears are usually overblown. There's some truth to our fears, it's just not as bad.

BUT if our fears ever pan out, I wonder if we'll go out quickly and fighting or instead a slow numbed melancholic death.
edit on 2/7/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

We're creating the machines to replace us.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Don't retire they'll give your job to someone in India.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

This sort of reminds me of the scene from the movie 'Time Machine'.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Age old question: Are we using the machines to do more and be more or to do less and be less? Will the machines make us crippled retards or will they make us fit and of genius mind?

Will hte tech be used to improve humanity or to improve the elite? Will we stay human in any recognizable way?

Truth always seems to fall inbetween. Our fears are usually overblown. There's some truth to our fears, it's just not as bad.

Although I can easily see our natural functions becoming diminished, once something this big hits it will cause a massive tidal wave through technological advancement.

As we know, Technology is exponential in both how much it advances and also how quickly it advances. This intrinsic exponential trait may allow for such natural function issues in us be fixed or completely eliminated all together, and very quickly.

This type of technology could be the key to skipping several years for technology to advance at a gradual exponential rate, and instead leap years ahead of where we currently are.

Again, it would depend on how functional this concept is right off the start. However, if it's as great as placing google inside your mind, then that leap forwards is ensured.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Mate we have had the ability to access this for quite sometime, it's called the Akashic Records.

And this version is not patented by a conglomerate MNC

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join