It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fantastic and Terrible News: Google search for the mind now exists.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: InMyShell
I hear a lot that most of the world problems are through lack of education....would this rectify it?

Absolutely. The access of information to this level would be beyond phenomenal.

Again I turn to the movie "Limitless", where even a fraction of a thought way in the past could conjure precise information instantly.

Now we just need to make people smarter so that information can go to use

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: ReadLeader
a reply to: Ghost147
[there will never be any] arguments in the future.

Oh no, those will still exist. Some people can't accept an opposing person's information, regardless of how factual it is.

Especially vegans.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The article was rather vague, but I don't think it's necessarily talking about the kind of brain-machine-interface being used in research with paraplegics. It sounds more like some kind of google-glass visual/aural interface connected to another device with software that keeps track of words/action/etc like a primitive ai personal assistant.

I could be wrong, as BMI tech has come a long way, but I think it's going to be awhile before we have something akin to cybernetic implants wired directly into our brain's memory centers.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rethaya
The article was rather vague, but I don't think it's necessarily talking about the kind of brain-machine-interface being used in research with paraplegics. It sounds more like some kind of google-glass visual/aural interface connected to another device with software that keeps track of words/action/etc like a primitive ai personal assistant.

I could be wrong, as BMI tech has come a long way, but I think it's going to be awhile before we have something akin to cybernetic implants wired directly into our brain's memory centers.

No, you're absolutely correct. It isn't an implant of any sort, but it certainly is the start of that technology.

The inventor is working on both a wearable device, coupled with sensors (laid out around a specific room I believe). It's certainly a ways off from neurological implants, but even those are making it's way onto the scene. The fact that this concept exists, only means that it will be capable of being implanted within the next 5-10 years. If not less.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

It's certainly a fascinating subject to think about. I just wonder how many people would sign up for these kinds of technologies, and whether other groups would try to oppose progress. I'm perfectly happy with the idea, lol, but I blame sci-fi literature and stuff like Deus Ex for that.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Age old question: Are we using the machines to do more and be more or to do less and be less? Will the machines make us crippled retards or will they make us fit and of genius mind?

Will hte tech be used to improve humanity or to improve the elite? Will whatever survives stay human in a recognizable way?

Truth always seems to fall inbetween. Our fears are usually overblown. There's some truth to our fears, it's just not as bad.

BUT if our fears ever pan out, I wonder if we'll go out quickly and fighting or instead a slow numbed melancholic death.

We are using machines to do more. In the past, an office would have a secretary. She would spend her days reading letters, typing out replies, and sending them out for delivery by post. Now we have admins who receive email and send replies. Email, PDF documents have replaced letters. Online downloads have replaced sending out CD's and floppy disks.

In the past when you wanted a document printed, you had to go to print shop employing hundreds of people. Now, you can get any number of copies of a document printed using a work processor, photoshop and a commercial laser printer.
But now we have hundreds of web page designers. Automated telephone exchange replaced operator girls, but they found work as secretaries and then admins.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
There will always be people who are frightened or otherwise disdainful of new technology. Some of them will doubtless attempt to throw their sabots into the machine to stop it. But you can't just stop technology because you don't like it any more than you can stop the spread of telephones. It will happen whether or not you think it is useful because, quite frankly, it's not up to you.

What will ultimately assure its spread is the fact that those who don't like it will die off leaving a new generation who has grown up with it in full acceptance. Your grand kids will adopt it whether you do or not.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondtruth

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: beyondtruth
Mate we have had the ability to access this for quite sometime, it's called the Akashic Records.

And this version is not patented by a conglomerate MNC

This is the science and technology forum, and this thread is about a technological development based in reality. Let's leave the new age "akashic records" nonsense out of this discussion.

Thanks for your contribution, what did your post have to do with science or technology by the way? My point of the post was to show that perhaps the Akashic Records theory of existence is not so far fetched under the microscope of science and technology when only a few decades ago this "science & technology" that we now use was considered science fiction new age garbage.

You mis-characterize it. It was considered science fiction, but it had nothing to do with "New Age Garbage." The Akashic Records, however, are solidly still in that latter category. The concept of the Akashic Records is NOT a "theory of existence" at all. It postulates that all our actions and thoughts are recorded, including that which is not true. In other words, it's not a dictionary or an encyclopedia; it's a record of your life. A modern analog might be like an anthropologist recording an oral accounting of a life in great detail, including emotions, feelings, and consequences.

In most traditions these Records are not easily accessible or, if they are, it's after death. In any case, retrieval, search, and playback methods are noticeably absent from the description. In many traditions, these records are not accessible at all on this plane of existence, which renders them largely useless and in no way comparable to the patented application we are discussing here. In other words, bringing it up does not add to this discussion, which might better be discussed in a paranormal or religious forum.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: creation7
more of the ptsd memory research

"Memories are stored in the brain like individual files," Monfils said. "Each time they are opened, they can be modified before they're placed back in storage. Altering a memory during the time it is opened can create an updated memory that can be saved in place of the old one."

link

Not sure I like sound of that...

So XYZ Corp. does something not-quite-very nice... like pollute the water table or be involved with a corruption scandal or something worse.

But they also sponsor a favorite show on the neural net version of the internet everyone is plugged into.

A simple subroutine inserted while thinking about viewing the company logo at the beginning of the broadcast makes you forget about it.

Kinda scary possibility if you ask me. The idea needs some work.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Development of the sort of thing mentioned in the OP is well underway. A number of technologies/sciences (AI, VR, information storage/processing, neuroscience, genetics, robotics, etc.) are advancing at an incredible pace. These technologies have the potential to be game changers for Humanity.

Transhumanism will progress alongside these technologies, and we will likely at some point become hybrid entities, including enhanced intelligence via brain implants. Within the next 100 years we will indeed redefine what it means to be human. Eventually, the human species will transform/morph into an entirely different, alien creature, leaving our human past behind. Humans may be remembered one day in the not too distant future much the same as we view apes today; as just a previous rung on the evolutionary ladder. Our evolutionary destiny will then proceed by leaps and bounds under our own control; or will it?

There will likely be many heated battles ahead over technology-related issues, as humanity will soon reach a crossroads. The transitions necessary to keep pace with quickly advancing machine intelligence will be a difficult choice for many, challenging longheld belief systems (religious, political, moral, philosophical). Many (probably most) people will not be too keen on the idea of giving up any part of their ‘humanity’ to become transhumanist hybrids. At the same time, though, the idea of being subjugated to a machine with 10,000 times their intelligence isn’t exactly a pleasing thought either. The battles won and choices made will take us down one road or the other to an uncertain future. My only question is, is it already too late to have a choice?.

It may be that we will literally become the aliens we’ve always imagined in our sci-fi literature. Man, what a thought.

Just FYI, DARPA (military) has recently embarked on a program to create a brain implant chip to serve as a brain/computer interface. While they say it’s for the purposes of treating mental disorders (it detects/interprets certain neural states and acts on them to counteract negative effects), it has the potential to do much, much more. If you’re interested, Here’s an article in the MIT Technology Review about it.

Nice thread, Ghost...

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The age of human augmentation has began.. Can't wait until theses devices are sold on the commercial market at reasonable prices.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
My opinion is that i had a better idea to implement a discovery made a few years back in regards to sound effects on the brain....

the problem is most of the good ideas are patented and locked up for good reason...

So imho, if this tech is ever gonna be available to the public, it is less an innovation and more another way to fulfill one's agenda!

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: ReadLeader

Imagine what this will do for production capabilities as it learns easier ways to process?

No more jobs!

Maybe we can finally create a culture worth living in!

Imagine a world where everyone with the cash and intent has this and the rest are unable to work or compete.

Suddenly the 'haves' and 'have nots' divide the human race in a way never before experienced.

The war would be total and absolute.

Sadly, it is inevitable.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Imagine what this will do for production capabilities as it learns easier ways to process?

Sadly, it is inevitable.

There's no reason to be so pessimistic. Look at cell phones, smart phones. This technology is relatively new, yet look who has them? Everyone in Africa. They have managed to by pass the copper-wire POTS system and jump into cell phones without having to go through that old infrastructure. Further, "apps" have brought such things as complex medical diagnoses that cost thousands into a dirt cheap realm where things like blood tests, diabetes tests, and a whole lot ore are available to the masses. The tri-corder is within our reach.

The thing about technology is that once it gets invented, it rapidly gets cheap, and it is NOT just in the hands of the rich. "Easier ways to process" means you can buy clothes at Goodwill for a dollar instead of needing to have them custom made.
edit on 2/7/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Sadly, it is inevitable.

There's no reason to be so pessimistic. Look at cell phones, smart phones. This technology is relatively new, yet look who has them? Everyone in Africa. They have managed to by pass the copper-wire POTS system and jump into cell phones without having to go through that old infrastructure. Further, "apps" have brought such things as complex medical diagnoses that cost thousands into a dirt cheap realm where things like blood tests, diabetes tests, and a whole lot ore are available to the masses. The tri-corder is within our reach.

The thing about technology is that once it gets invented, it rapidly gets cheap, and it is NOT just in the hands of the rich. "Easier ways to process" means you can buy clothes at Goodwill for a dollar instead of needing to have them custom made.

You cannot buy anything if you have no money.

Those who do not have the technology will become unemployed and unemployable.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

You cannot buy anything if you have no money.

Yes, that's a given. However, I think he was referring to the 1% and above rather than people with absolutely no money at all.
edit on 7/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

just a patent lets see some real world trials first.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Nothing truly worthwhile creatively will come from this. All great art comes with some imperfection. "Happy Accidents" are essential.
Most memories wouldn't be worth a damn if we remembered them exactly how they happened.
Being organic analog beings is what makes us human.
We are being replaced.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
While a search engine built into your brain could be rather useful, I'm afraid it would prove itself to be rather bothersome for you would become bogged down lagged by your own thought process as you argued with yourself over so many contradictory finds...

What would prove more useful would be a user interface built into your mind that had all the diagnostics for your own dna and all current medical knowledge of the human body... Then software and all the latest nanotechnology next could be employed to be programed into carrying out any needed process that said diagnostic ability may present...

Aside from that you would also be able to input information into your mind... But you would be able to decide what you were putting in there first...entire volumes and skills could be acquired and merged into ones own repertoire much safer and conveniently in this way...
Additionally it would also prove rather useful to have extra intelligence by means of AI boosting the speed of your own natural thought process through speed for calculation, memory cataloging,and recall for instance...
What's more important is that you could stay true to yourself and none of it would make you any less human...

edit on 8-2-2016 by 5StarOracle because: word

edit on 8-2-2016 by 5StarOracle because: ...

edit on 8-2-2016 by 5StarOracle because: more

edit on 8-2-2016 by 5StarOracle because: .

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Rethaya

Without looking at the patent, my guess is that it's just a simple earpiece whith a relatively powerful mini-computer built into it. The article says it will do things like remind you of a word when it's on the tip of your tongue. I would argue that cell phones already place a lot of searching power at our fingertips, this device would just streamline that process and deliver the information directly to your ear.
edit on 8/2/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join