It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This House Costs Just $20,000—But It’s Nicer Than Yours

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Also what kind of insulation can a sheet metal structure maintain?

What's the problem? Looking to learn something, if there is an issue I'm unaware of.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: St Udio

you still need a place to plop your yurt though, although i agree they are kind of nice.

InTheLight

the tiny homes are usually built on trailers, thereby bypassing the building restrictions.. or that is my understanding. but I am not sure if they'd be accepted in my area or not. personally, I don't think they should be acceptable in some areas, like tornado alley. Of course, I don't think mobile homes should be acceptable in tornado ally either.

I certainly agree, but I was commenting on OPs tiny home, not on wheels.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio
From not being able to cut down our own trees, fish our own streams, hunt our own forests, use rock from the stone they rejected, we are indeed serfs on the land, while they built castles while we slept.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wetpaint72
a reply to: InTheLight
Also available...huriquake nails. Google, available everywhere! Good stuff!!!

Where there's a will, there's a way.

edit on 4-2-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

really enjoyed that. Fun.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I don't see the market for this.

This looks more for setting up a guest house for grandma or a deer camp. I've stayed in cabin's these sizes for fish camp.

In my area a commuter town(20 min to the amenities to of a 450k metro) there are houses that go for sale with 1k sqft on a half acre for 50k. and this is a low crime, decent school, 7k pop zip code, half in city limits.
I recently looked at a decent house 3bd 2 bath 1400sqft 2 car garage .3 acre lot in the city for 70k.

I don't know how I even see these competing. Even if a developer created a subdivision using these houses which would essentially be a cheaper version of a mobile home park I doubt most ats posters would want to live with the people who would move into these places.

I understand there is this small group of hipsters who think this is a great idea, but it's really just a delusion of growing up in the burbs and/or being in the university bubble.

In reality buy a decent house and get a roomate or two of non crappy people. That 3bd 2bath house.

I'm guessing land costs are really high on the coast so this is why this generally seems like a good idea. Move to middle america where one's dollar goes a lot farther.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
There is absolutely no way on Gods green Earth that you will be able to build a home like that for 20 grand. All these do it yourself shows and ads always make it seem so cheap and easy but there is simply no way to get all that for 20 g's. How are you going to heat the place? You cant touch a wood stove and chimney system for under 1,500. All that roofing and sheet metal wont be less than 5k. Where I live, the permit fees, utility connection fees, inspection fees etc, add up to well over 10 to 15 grand. I'm a builder, been making my living in the business for nearly 20 years now, and the price of lumber and steel goes up consistently. The hardware alone (screws, nails, nuts, bolts, hinges, etc, etc,) would be a few grand easy. If you were super resourceful and had a lot of this type of stuff laying around (like me) you might possibly be able to get er done for 30 but I wouldn't bet on it. Anyone who's either in the business or had work done on their place, knows that the costs always add up quickly. And its always the little, insignificant stuff. Has anyone priced cabinets lately? The cheapest of the cheap garbage cabs run thousands. Its a cool idea but $20,000 is simply not realistic whatsoever and could be misleading a potential do it your selfer.

eta: Foundation, framing, doors, windows, cabinets, kitchen and bathroom sinks, wiring and fixtures, plumbing and fixtures, heating, cooling, roofing, septic system. Please someone tell me how to do all this for 20 grand. Legally, that is. All that being said, a crafty, creative, resourceful builder can do some pretty awesome things on the cheap, comparatively speaking. I think the house they built here in OP's post is a sweet lil design, just hope nobody actually thinks they can build that for 20k without quite a few handouts and favors.

not to mention drywall, tape and texture, insulation, flooring and so on and so forth. Not buying it for a second
edit on 4-2-2016 by Tuomptonite because: one last point to make

edit on 4-2-2016 by Tuomptonite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Having lived in a small apartment Tiny houses really aren't my thing. I like some room to roam. But seeing two of these arranged the way they are you could make a cool mini compound type deal.

Also, I LOVE your signature.

Play Stupid Games... Win Stupid Prizes.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

I watched the first video and absolutely loved what these folks are trying to accomplish but I fear he is making a huge mistake in advertising his efforts and location. I hope it doesn't happen but I fear that if the government gets wind of what is going on here, they may be in for a rude awakening by the Fed or at least, the county government. They will come in and do their best to enforce "CODE" violation to evict them, I'm afraid.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join