It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLACK History month...can't wait.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I decided to stir the ATS melting pot today, just to see how PROUD we are of our races. Keep in mind that pride is a sin.

In just a few short days, America will be entering another annual wave of hypocritical lip service...Black History Month.

I'm sure Obama is already practicing his speech.

I am half Chilean and half Euro-Cherokee mix. My mother's ancestors were pushed off their land by European colonialists, and my dad was forced to leave Chile because of Pinochet's tyranny.

Where is my month? Where is my opportunity to guilt trip the nation about tyranny that I have never personally faced. My mom's grandmother was forced to live on a reservation, not me. My dad was forced to leave Pinochet's facist revolution, not me.

I am a victim of political correctness. I am a minority of minorities. There simply aren't enough Euro-Chilean-Native Americans to jusyify creating another X-History Month.

I don't really want my own history month. My point is that no African-American, Jew, or even the poka-dotted people have faced slavery in this generation of America. So why make an issue of dead history? Why sanctify a month for a single race? Why not American History month, since this is America?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

edit on 1/22/2016 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

To be fair, they are being given the shortest month out of the 12...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Exactly...lip service.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I don't know

Maybe because African Americans faced the brunt of Slavery, were freed and then had to fight for their right to even drink from the same water fountain as a White person.

Civil Rights movement and all that jazz...

But I almost cut myself on your edgyness though

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Keep in mind that pride is a sin.

Isn't jealousy a sin as well?

Just asking!

Where is my month? Where is my opportunity to guilt trip the nation about tyranny that I have never personally faced. My mom's grandmother was forced to live on a reservation, not me. My dad was forced to leave Pinochet's facist revolution, not me.

Thank gosh for that!

So why make an issue of dead history? Why sanctify a month for a single race? Why not American History month, since this is America?

HOW, pray tell, will they divide and conquer US if they did THAT!?

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I'm not jealous, I was making a point.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Dead history? What are you trying to say there, that America should forget how badly blacks were treated up until a few decades ago? We remember our "dead" history so we aren't doomed to repeat it.

The only people I've ever heard complain about Black history month are legit racists. So...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I know that!

So was I...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

So sorry. I didn't fully read your comment. Got distracted. Acute ADD.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
You know what? Normally I would not reply but this is the RANT Forum. You are turning it into the Whine Forum. Go cry somewhere else.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

It's all good!

Mine is "chronic" not acute so, I'm with ya brother...

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Be a doll and supply the tissues.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
You know what else? Your whine is a common 'below ignorance whine'. It has been made over and over again. Everyone in the US knows why there is a Black History Month unless they have been living a life of total ignorance from living under a rock. So as I presume you are not THAT ignorant, you must be making attempts to do something else besides just rant or whine. Take it to another site.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I just responded to a friends FB post about the lack of diversity for the Oscars thus:

"folks responding to this. I assume you are all in the performing arts, I assume you have received the scripts that say:
Player 1: mid 20s white female
Player 2: mid 30s Black male
etc.

I also assume you are versed enough in the performing arts to have been involved in a couple gender bending Shakespeare pieces.
And have lost parts because you were to short or to tall, to play the opposite to which ever lead was cast first. Or had the wrong hair color etc.
I have seen time and time again, the best individual not being cast because of physical traits not relating to ethnicity. And I have seen casting relating to ethnicity tanking a show. Not due to lack of talent, but due to an improbable narrative.
I've also seen color blind casting enhance a narrative and make a show.

The reason I love working in performing arts is because of the blind nature of acceptance day in and day out with all involved, regardless of color creed etc."

To me, as an individual, the only way we put past divisions behind us, is to unify under a common belief to move forward. To me that would be to stop accentuating our differences, and fortify our similarities.

In my opinion there is no reason to have a specified history month for any ethnicity. There have been great strides made in history by every ethnicity.

ETA

I suppose the challenge is getting the history taught in school.
Besides the classic cultures (Greek, Roman, Egypt, China).

edit on 22-1-2016 by randomtangentsrme because: As per ETA

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I think I'll stay on this site, but thanks for the generous recommendations.

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

They were offered December, but they felt we were telling them to get to the back of the calander.

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

You know what cracks me up with the Oscars, the NBA (National Basketball Association) Starting All-star lineups were released yesterday, it was 10 African-american players and zero white players... So, I suppose I should not watch the All star game now... #OscarsLogic

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

They were offered December, but they felt we were telling them to get to the back of the calander.

January makes the most sense, it gives them 31 days, which is our way of saying "my bad for slavery, enjoy the longest month" and it's also shared with MLK's bday... But instead they're given the shortest month of the calendar year... Almost like a cruel joke...

edit on 22-1-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Thanks for the comment. My race is so mixed on both sides that I really don't have one. Romans never went by racial pride. They divided themselves by their city-states.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join