It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLACK History month...can't wait.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I love peanut butter.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
(which somehow for this month it's okay to say black instead of African-American)

I don't know man, I am a white chico, and I have never EVER referred to a single black person in my life as African American, or caught flak for it. Although lately I just say dark skinned, because frankly, not many people that are dark skinned are really close to black at all.

a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

this is very true.

Isn't 'Black' the absence of color?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

in some things i agree with what you said however i disagree also slavery wasn't just some thing invented by "the whites" some odd years ago it's been around for a lot longer than that., the native americans did it to other tribes, hell don't they still make war and take slaves in africa even now? i don't condone it but don't make a pity party about it get a tissue and cry a river then get the fuk over it. all these different months celebrating our differences in skin color is only dividing us, driving the wedge in deeper so to say, if you want to name a month to celebrate lets call the human history month
edit on 23-1-2016 by malevolent because: because i can

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

You missed my point entirely. American history is American history. Its not black, white Native American or LGBTXYZ. By emphasizing one race, we ignore the rest of history.

If you believe that, then you entirely missed the point of things like black history month.

"American history" is supposed to be as you say but it is not. When you were in school, what version of Christopher Columbus were you told?

Ideally, popular American history would be an unbiased account of America's history. Are you trying to tell me that it actually is?

F××K Christopher Columbus.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse

i think black as a color absorbs all light while white deflects all color of the light spectrum but i could be wrong and not talking about the same thing

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: malevolent

Just trying be funny and technical.
Sometimes it works,
sometimes it dont.

For the record:
I've never seen a black human being.
I've never seen a white one neither.
Yellow, red, and so on.

P.S.
What you typed, does make sense.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: malevolent

in some things i agree with what you said however i disagree also slavery wasn't just some thing invented by "the whites" some odd years ago it's been around for a lot longer than that., the native americans did it to other tribes, hell don't they still make war and take slaves in africa even now? i don't condone it but don't make a pity party about it get a tissue and cry a river then get the fuk over it. all these different months celebrating our differences in skin color is only dividing us, driving the wedge in deeper so to say, if you want to name a month to celebrate lets call the human history month

That's all fine and I have no objection with what you are saying but it has nothing to do with there being a black history month. Black history month wasn't invented to somehow blame the concept of racism on white people; it's to tell a story that was left out of the popular telling of our history.

White people often have issues with black history month because including a history with the whole story in it makes them uncomfortable.

The reason why there isn't a "white history month" is because our conventional telling of American history was already written from the perspective of white historians. Do you think Germans feel comfortable reading about their Nazi grandfathers? No. But I'm sure that any Jews living in Germany would probably insist they learn about it.

It only makes sense to correct a narrative that has been, until recently, told through a very myopic lens. There is an overwhelming pressure to keep the mythical illusion of our nation that we grew up with and that is what things like black history month attempts to counter.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: RoadCourse

sorry man i didn't see the humor, i'm just in one of those moods and i sooooo agree
"F××K Christopher Columbus." my grandpa who was full blooded portuguese was, well he was proud he always said there was no moorish blood in our veins we need to drop the BS and just be one people sorry this topic has made me think too much about how to just get along with each other

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: malevolent

Ultimately it depends on if you are mixing paints or lights.

Not going to go into it. But it is easy to look up online

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

the past is the past thats where all this # belongs we as the only developed species can't get over it? then we deserve to die out, i said developed and not intelligent for a reason. more atrocities have have happened in the past way before hitler but you seem to just be living in the past and not for the future or should i be furious over the the trail of tears and how the cherokee tribe was marched off Their land and stuck on a reservation in OK

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

yeah maybe it would be better if we were all color blind

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   

the past is the past thats where all this # belongs we as the only developed species can't get over it? then we deserve to die out, i said developed and not intelligent for a reason. more atrocities have have happened in the past way before hitler but you seem to just be living in the past and not for the future or should i be furious over the the trail of tears and how the cherokee tribe was marched off Their land and stuck on a reservation in OK

I think the disconnect is that you believe that "history", as an area of study, is pursued for the sole purpose of angering people. History isn't something "to get over" because that's not why we study history to begin with. I don't read history so I can pull out the tissues and let the sobs flow (it happens but that's not the goal); I read history because it is one of the most important areas of study for humanity.

You mention horrible atrocities committed throughout history. Why do you think those patterns haven't been repeated with the same frequency afterwards or that there hasn't been a new Hitler? It's because we study them and let those deeds be known.

If the planet had suddenly forgotten about the Nazis (or if they had never existed), a similar uprising may not be thwarted with the same vigilance we meet it with today. It helps us understand why things are the way they are today. It gives us a picture of a world we can strive to improve on.

Pretend you have a rare disorder where you lose your memory every morning. Let's say today you ate at a diner and walked out to the alley for some air. It appears you are allergic to peanuts and that alley is a mugger hotspot. So you end the day with bruises, a stolen wallet, and a trip to the ER for the allergic reaction. Tomorrow? You will do it again. And the next day. And the next.

That is why history (from ALL perspectives) is important.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   

The whole premise of your rant is off base, you are wrong if you think Black history is about just slavery, you don't even have a clue of why one was needed in the first place, listen everytime around this time of year some jackass come out of the woodwork crying waaah waaah!! where is my White History month
...yet you fools don't even realize that 99% of what passes for history is all about white folks, and that is considered the norm so ubiquitous it is not even thought of as such, if you were truly interested in celebrating your native American ancestry you would know that November is Native American history month, but off course you missed it because you could give a goodgadamn. I haven't a drop of Native Ancestry in me but even I tried to pay homage to their contributions.
The Native American Presence In The Old World:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 23-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
60,000 to 100,000 years of history cherry picked and efficiently packed into 28 days minus weekends and you still have the other 11 months to focus solely on the last 700 years which is apparently much more interesting and important.

I don't get why it's such a horrific thing or why people feel so oppressed by it. It's your history too.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

I think the disconnect is that you believe that "history", as an area of study, is pursued for the sole purpose of angering people. History isn't something "to get over" because that's not why we study history to begin with. I don't read history so I can pull out the tissues and let the sobs flow (it happens but that's not the goal); I read history because it is one of the most important areas of study for humanity.

You mention horrible atrocities committed throughout history. Why do you think those patterns haven't been repeated with the same frequency afterwards or that there hasn't been a new Hitler? It's because we study them and let those deeds be known.

If the planet had suddenly forgotten about the Nazis (or if they had never existed), a similar uprising may not be thwarted with the same vigilance we meet it with today. It helps us understand why things are the way they are today. It gives us a picture of a world we can strive to improve on.

Pretend you have a rare disorder where you lose your memory every morning. Let's say today you ate at a diner and walked out to the alley for some air. It appears you are allergic to peanuts and that alley is a mugger hotspot. So you end the day with bruises, a stolen wallet, and a trip to the ER for the allergic reaction. Tomorrow? You will do it again. And the next day. And the next.

That is why history (from ALL perspectives) is important.
i'm not talking about disconnecting from the past but learning from it and moving forward if we try to to forget it we are doomed to repeat but if we only live in the past we will end up harboring old pains that in the end only hurt US in the now so what happens to the future? just more hate and more pain . drop the BS and live for tomorrow the past can't change the future is something intangible don't change it, learn from it and get over that bridge

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

The whole premise of your rant is off base, you are wrong if you think Black history is about just slavery, you don't even have a clue of why one was needed in the first place, listen everytime around this time of year some jackass come out of the woodwork crying waaah waaah!! where is my White History month
...yet you fools don't even realize that 99% of what passes for history is all about white folks, and that is considered the norm so ubiquitous it is not even thought of as such, if you were truly interested in celebrating your native American ancestry you would know that November is Native American history month, but off course you missed it because you could give a goodgadamn. I haven't a drop of Native Ancestry in me but even I tried to pay homage to their contributions.
need a tissue? i think you missed the point, i don't fully agree with the OP however i do not think we should be separated as we aren't a collection of races but the same species. we are all the same thing regardless of creed and color or are the rest of you too fuqing stupid to see that?

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

need a tissue? i think you missed the point, i don't fully agree with the OP however i do not think we should be separated as we aren't a collection of races but the same species. we are all the same thing regardless of creed and color or are the rest of you too fuqing stupid to see that?

Look I am a humanist before anything else, however I am not naive to how the world works and while you and I may have a humanist bent , I cannot ignore the fact all is not treated with equal value. so in the words of one of my favorites

In this case when those who are producing and writing history books and stop editing folks out of said books like what the Texas school board has done we need to be vigilant and have a back up.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Look I am a humanist before anything else, however I am not naive to how the world works and while you and I may have a humanist bent , I cannot ignore the fact all is not treated with equal value. so in the words of one of my favorites

In this case when those who are producing and writing history books and stop editing folks out of said books like what the Texas school board has done we need to be vigilant and have a back up.
i wouldn't call myself a "humanist" when i look at the issue though the problem and answer is clear enough. as to regarding the whole color thing well learn from it then move on to build a better life or it might be harsh but if you didn't originate from here, then get the fuq out and go back to Your homeland and let me know how that treats you, yeah that might have been too harsh

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   

i wouldn't call myself a "humanist" when i look at the issue though the problem and answer is clear enough. as to regarding the whole color thing well learn from it then move on to build a better life or it might be harsh but if you didn't originate from here, then get the fuq out and go back to Your homeland and let me know how that treats you, yeah that might have been too harsh

The color thing?? the so called color thing is made useful in America for generations and I could go into why and how but that would need a study in so-called black history which is the missing pages of history, and I am not sure if you are referring to me with get fug out comment if I did not originated here, but part of my family have very deep roots here, I myself have paid my dues through service both military and civilian so naaw I think I'll stick around and try to make that more perfect union.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

i should have been more clear that was meant for those that feel so oppressed they blame everyone else for their problem. Respect to you and yours for your service.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join