It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the crap hit the fan, would YOU help others or only YOURSELF/family?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: shinethelight

its such an open ended question - that IMHO - its imposible to answer

i am not averse to helping people

but i am not going to make some unrealitic vow that i would

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Strenght in numbers.

Better for a community to pull together.

The reason we have civilisation now is because living in communitys if better for survival than being lawless nomads.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I spent nearly 6years planning and implementing a bug-out location.It is nearly complete and off the grid . As I see it , everyone else had the same opportunity , but scoff at such. Safety in numbers? No. Help someone that did not help themselves? Charity begins at home. Not with others. Family only.

So when my community that out numbers you 10/1 finds you as a hostile nomad with lots of supply’s what do you think will happen?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

I believe your's is the only realistic answer so far. Planning on farming and starting villages is all well and good, but you can't take in every person, child and pet. Establish a perimeter and hold it. Stop means STOP and crossing the line should have lethal results. All it takes is a few infiltrators to bring it all down. Someone from a gang of marauders gets in, accidently leaves a door or gate unlocked, maybe slits a few throats so the guards can't give warning and your little haven is over run in minutes.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Nope.. He's got me and I consider myself an extremely compassionate person when it comes to kids, the mentally disabled, pets....But, the truth is the truth. Running around trying to play Hero for everyone is going to get you quickly dead. Got a stockpile you're willing to share? The wrong people are going to hear about it and come Take It and you'll never know who infiltrated your little group and killed half of them in their sleep, so his buddies could come in and kill the rest of you and take what you have. A few get in, most stay out or they learn the word Stop has a range of about 500 yards.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Gothmog
I spent nearly 6years planning and implementing a bug-out location.It is nearly complete and off the grid . As I see it , everyone else had the same opportunity , but scoff at such. Safety in numbers? No. Help someone that did not help themselves? Charity begins at home. Not with others. Family only.

So when my community that out numbers you 10/1 finds you as a hostile nomad with lots of supply’s what do you think will happen?

First , someone has to find it . Doable , but no way easy
Second , I will take the 100-1 odds . I am an old country boy........I was taught from the time I was knee-high to a grasshopper how to survive. Most folks I see couldnt build a campfire without a butane lighter. To be truthful , a lot of em couldnt do it even with one..They dont stand a chance. Regretful , but true.

edit on 10-1-2016 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Anyone coming into my fortified place of work will have to deal with my fellas, they may have learning disability's and autism but they would destroy most men...thats why it can take 6 of us to restrain one, they have the strength of 5 men.
When the meds run out though I may not be very safe lol.
One lad blimey he doesn't feel pain he put his head through a fire door once and just laughed.
edit on 10-1-2016 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Compassion and empathy, may it be the universal ethos.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

... how many people would truly care about helping mankind. I'm sure there are some places people would eat each other alive, or they would form groups of like minded people and kill those who were in their way/ didn't belong.

What would you do?

My first obligation is to family... to see that they remain safe and as well provisioned as possible. To put family second to anything or anyone else would be, in my humble opinion, just be wrong or, speaking personally, simply impossible.

After that? It would all depend on exactly what the situation factors were.
It's good to try and be ready for anything and everything but... considering the current level of madness in this world? I'll just keep planning in a holding pattern until... if and/or when, the handbasket arrives in heII.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

originally posted by: shinethelight

What would you do?

Matthew 7:12

The Golden Rule
12 “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

What if you're a masochist?

As for the topic, I feel that the best way to survive is to build an off-grid community that focuses on green-energy production, sustainability, and aquaponics farming for year-round food (even in arctic winters).

I feel that the only way to really survive a societal breakdown is to preemptively leave society. Just think about it. What would happen to the Amish, or self reliant Communes, or native tribes (depending on where you live) if society breaks down? Virtually nothing at all.

It's not that "we are going to be in trouble", it's that "society is going to be in trouble". So... Leave it!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I would only help those that help them selves. Don't need any unproductive eaters here.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

did not read all the replies but i would not be worried about helping other people.
my wife and daughter is my priority.
i would like to think i would not be out murdering people to take their supplies but thats probably what i would do.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I saw a docu about mankind and it said the way modern humans have survived over other species is "collective knowledge".

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Thanks...but not necessary. I'll go down helping....just get my family going...and help those who can't help themselves...until I can't any longer.

I can also see a worst case scenario...a no hope immediate finality of life...where I would take out my dog, my family then myself....a horribly destitute final act to end impending death.

I hope such situations never, ever, ever arise...MS

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: redoubt

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Disruption of Electricity or Transportation for an extended period of time... that is it and really all that it would take.

No Transportation = No Food for 95% or more of the population within days.

OK - Primary threat identified

Solutions - Either go to a "pre-positioned" shelter with supplies within walking / bicycle distance or sit it out at the primary suburban residence (which is not the main plan).

Food runs out in days, Order quickly deteriorates, If winter - People will start burning anything to keep warm.. not a pretty scenario any way you look at it.

Authorities will go door to door to "centralize" food IF there is still an order structure in place to feed the masses. If the "authorities" realize that there is no help coming anytime soon, they will take it for themselves and "fortress" up. It may take a couple of weeks before this happens but if supplies start running low......

Otherwise, chaos will reign in any major populated areas as the desperate "have nots" take from anyone that still has in the area.

I would rather "quickly" get to my "concealed" shelter and wait it out to be truthful.

One, I hate it that I have to think this way but our population has turned into such "dependents" that most people don't even have 2 weeks worth of food in their houses. I don't want to harm anyone either in defense or being desperate enough to consider it because I didn't pre-plan for the "threats" that are plain as day to see. My solution: Stockpile food in a shelter and wait any major emergency out with my friends and family.... what else can I morally do? The chances of Sit-x happening increase every year and I would be a fool to do "nothing".

Grabbing a backpack and a gun and running into the woods is an idiots plan of desperation in most cases. Having a planned shelter with supplies is the only answer in my opinion.

Edit: One other thing - meeting up with "like minded" individuals may not be what you think.... Soon someone is going to have a "Leader" complex and possibly gain "followers" which may put you and your loved ones in an awkward position depending how bat-sh!t crazy the wanna be "leader" turns out to be. You may soon find yourself in a situation that is worse than going it small with your "trusted" friends and family.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

did not read all the replies but i would not be worried about helping other people.
my wife and daughter is my priority.
i would like to think i would not be out murdering people to take their supplies but thats probably what i would do.

No need for that if you stockpile a years worth of food now while it is cheap.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Anybody ever watch "The Road"?

Harsh, cold, and really enlightening.

Not for the faint of heart or sensitive viewers.
edit on 10-1-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I imagine that I would assist others in any way possible. Family, friends, neighbors, and yes, strangers. I may not have a huge stockpile of supplies, but any knowledge I have I will definitely share. Could I die? Certainly, but that is possible even now. So kill or be killed mentality is a fallacy. Knowledge and sharing connections with others is what will create sustenance for future survival. I would want my family and I to continue living life fully, not imprison ourselves from the world and live in fear. As someone stated earlier, 'they may even kill their family and themselves' to just end the perceived suffering! That is madness! If it reached such a point, why wouldn't you seek help from others? Afraid they will kill you?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
Anybody ever watch "The Road"?

Harsh, cold, and really enlightening.

Not for the faint of heart or sensitive viewers.

Yeah, that is the "madmax" scenario.

I don't believe in the madmax scenario. When Civil Defense was scrapped in favor of "continuity of government", the plan is if order cannot be maintained our leadership will pull back and wait 6-18 months for the "die off" and then come back in and restore order.

It is estimated that in an event like this, 90% of the population (yes, that is YOU the citizen) would be dead from either disease, starvation, or violence.

Then the .gov comes back in and restores order.

Be ready to go it alone for 18 months!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

When Civil Defense was scrapped in favor of "continuity of government", the plan is if order cannot be maintained our leadership will pull back and wait 6-18 months for the "die off" and then come back in and restore order.

That's interesting. I've never heard that before. Do you have a couple of links on that? I'd like to know more.

-dex

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join