It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the crap hit the fan, would YOU help others or only YOURSELF/family?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This ought to be a poll.

I have my own suspicions concerning what the result would be. If the thread prospers, I shall reveal it, whether I’m right or wrong.

In the meantime, here is my contribution: I would help whoever needed my help if I could, and beg for help if I needed it myself. But I wouldn’t go out of my way looking for people to help.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

There maybe some that go wacko, but I don't think all.

I know some truly amazing and honorable people. Because things get bad doesn't mean everyone looses their minds. Some aren't afraid of death. And some are willing to risk they're lives to save others.

What if the first ones to go crazy are the ones only interested in saving themselves?
What if they're panicking from shock, but someone else can help them to calm down and take everything one step at a time.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I like to think I would try to help others. I might be more wary of people but I would still attempt to help.
edit on 9-1-2016 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: shinethelight

I agree I think folk will do the right thing.
We do see it after a disaster people coming together and helping each other.
We are all human afterall.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I don't believe we are actually headed to that scenario but...

originally posted by: shinethelight
But if you had very little food and strangers were asking you for food, would you share?

Yes. Either in this life or the next, it will come back to me.

originally posted by: shinethelightWould you kill someone who hopped your fence to take an orange from a tree?

No. If I ever killed somebody for trying to feed themselves, I would probably kill myself afterwards.

originally posted by: shinethelightIf you had a stockpile, would you go out of your way to help those who didn't?

If I had a stockpile, I would barter with the haves, and help the have-nots. I would likely exchange goods for services like, perhaps guarding the stockpile (if they are trustworthy).

edit on 9-1-2016 by Abysha because: formatting

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
There are safety in numbers but then again be careful who you accept into your group.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I would clan-up. But anyone in for only themselves, will be out by themselves.

No time to train "team".
And no time to teach "stupid".
edit on 9-1-2016 by smirkley because: Emphasis applied in quotes to prevent misinterpretation of meaning.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
There are safety in numbers but then again be careful who you accept into your group.

Split the groups to make semi villages-
This helps to prevent overpowering of massive group by ignorant few. semi villages carry various influences which cause groups to form.

villagers protect the groups

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It is easy to say that we would do certain things having never been in such a situation. I honestly don't think people would know unless they are actually in that desperate situation. Some may surprise themselves in both good and bad ways.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I truly admire your faith in mankind and your optimism but for a peek at reality; look at some of the countries in Africa today. Their infrastructure has completely collapsed and it's survival of the fittest and best armed.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: shinethelight
a reply to: olaru12

There maybe some that go wacko, but I don't think all.

I know some truly amazing and honorable people. Because things get bad doesn't mean everyone looses their minds. Some aren't afraid of death. And some are willing to risk they're lives to save others.

What if the first ones to go crazy are the ones only interested in saving themselves?
What if they're panicking from shock, but someone else can help them to calm down and take everything one step at a time.

Exactly! I know of several people whose shining moment would be that sort of scenario.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Mainly I'd just shelter in place.

If a group started forming locally, I'd try to help them with any skill or resource that I had to share.

If this is a real SHTF and I can't get my meds, I'll last about 2 weeks past running out before I'll have to be put down. So, I'll try to help anyone I can before that occurs.

-dex

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

And that is reality.

Just like being a hero, you wont know your fibre until put in a situation.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

To 1 Night Star the responses would be based off of the stress levels - problem solving ability - anxiety management - FEAR control - as well as any special training or trade skill ability that could contribute.

But 1 does agree Night Star it is easier for some to speak from points of non experience in these types of situations

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I truly admire your faith in mankind and your optimism but for a peek at reality; look at some of the countries in Africa today. Their infrastructure has completely collapsed and it's survival of the fittest and best armed.

Those are people in a generation who were born into that situation. If you dropped a bunch of Africans from Nairobi into those areas, they wouldn't suddenly pick up assault rifles and start raping each other.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

edit on pm131pmSat, 09 Jan 2016 22:08:27 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

Read down a couple more posts

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Organize people according to skills, place special emphasis on on those with farming or agro skills and food processing, folks with building skills a big plus, since we probably will have takers , defense is gonna be important. care takers will be essential, former nurses and doctors, this may not seem important but we we could use musicians and comedians, for in dark days keeping up spirits will be key so we don't fall apart internally.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I would help HELPERS. I would not devote myself to others who only do for themselves.

If they offer me or others food, I will look for food for them. If they offer water I will bring a few buckets myself before the day is done. If they help my family or that of others, I will defend theirs.

Every one else gets "one". LOL

Thats true no matter what. SHTF scenario or not.

edit on 1 9 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Safety In Numbers

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join