It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the crap hit the fan, would YOU help others or only YOURSELF/family?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
A smart person would have half a block in a friendly neighborhood on a contingency for just this very thing. Plan, plan, and plan some more, even right this moment is what everyone should always be doing. In any case, in SHTF, the world iis a free for all, and anything goes. That's all I have to say about that. Lets just say I would treat everyone and everything as a hostile no matter how friendly they are. The perimeters will be known, anyone breaching it will receive no mercy, regardless of the desperation.

It is the extremely desperate that must be eyed with extreme prejudice. You will have entire families who have already taught their kids how to manipulate and play on peoples emotions to take what they want. Everyone will be a target. Don't be fooled by puppy dog eyes and dirty children. Crossing the perimeter means that threat will be checked and done and no longer a threat, regardless of who, how, why, uniform, red crosses, language, religion or age.

I don't give a damn about their sob story, as we everyone will have their own. People have no idea just how large a population is when there is nothing left to keep them inside and watching tv while medicated.

They're us and we're them.....

edit on 9-1-2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

You will ultimately be alone. Any person callous and selfish enough to go along with your plan will likely turn on you. They would eventually see you "as a hostile".

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha
haha. I don't worry about the opinions of those who need medication to feel normal. You would not last very long yourself. I grew up with the members of my contingency. Everyone is on the same page. Hope your group is bigger than the people who need a supply chain of meds to feel right.

p.s. , if you cant take it, don't dish it out.
edit on 9-1-2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
By having more people engaged, we’ll not only have more hands to help prepare, but those hands come with additional resources and contacts that we may be able to use.
Those resources include additional vehicles, different tools, and other assets.
In addition, your neighbors will have their own contacts that could be deemed helpful.
Having contacts with resources and useful skills can be very valuable in preparing and surviving once the SHTF. Sometimes, it’s not what you know but who you know.
Safety In Numbers
With enlisting the neighbors we give ourselves a larger overall arsenal.
one person has a hard time shooting 8 guns.
edit on 9-1-2016 by madenusa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Yes, of course would help all all that is possible outside of family/friends. Prepping up on supplies is always a positive thing. The resources won't last forever, especially eventually that you might run into others outside of your group that need help. Would work better with more people aligning with you. The more safety, trade, duties such as who is going to hunt, grow food, etc.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It's really just a matter of ability.

First you need to be able to take care of yourself.

If you can take care of yourself, then you can try to take care of your family.

If you can take care of your family and have more left over, you can help others.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
If I were to try helping others my food would be gone in a week. Nobody is going to starve in a week. Most people won't even start conserving on their food if something happens and they don't prepare for even a week.

If someone is really starving, I will help them out, but they will have to work for their food unless they are crippled. Even if it is chopping some wood or piling some wood, it is good. They will feel like they earned their food and that is better.

Now others will come with guns after a month and try to steal your food, so it is better not to stock too much. In a month help will have arrived.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I am planning on helping others as much as possible for many reasons. It's the right path. There's more strength and safety in a unified group. More people to work, organize, scavenge and rebuild hope in the future, more ideas to solutions. Adversity/ disaster brings out the best and the worst in people, we must prepare for the worst and welcome the best. I think I'd rather die and go on to the next adventure than allow children to starve or be enslaved or fight with other humans over dwindling supplies or a patch of dirt. Fear is the mindkiller and at the root of atrocities. Be informed, be wary, let people earn trust but don't become lovers of death.
Any lapse in civilization and we will devolve back into primal culture and all humans become chattel, commodities to be traded. We see it now in countries without a clear rule of law, destroyed economies and those plagued by war. Women and children sold into slavery and the men butchered for sport. Unless we are well armed, organized and informed no matter how long we protect our families alone, they will eventually come and take it all.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: sayaangel

If you help others that need help if something happens, they remember that when things blow over. I would help others but not those who are pushy and think they have a right to your food.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Agreed. People won't be at their best, fear and desperation lead people to poor decision making, if they let it. There has to be a little room for error before banishment. There are a lot of people I don't like all of the time, i would expect it to be the same.
I still care if they survive and they still have much to give if they choose to.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I would help others as long as I could but my family comes first.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Some of the people you cant stand at all now, you may find end up your best allies in this scenario.

Conversely, some of your best trusted freinds, may end up your best foes too.
edit on 10-1-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I would help who I could help. It's as simple as that.

However, after first "shock" -- an evaluation would be required of assets and abilities.

No freeloaders in survival.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
What would I do?

My family first, but that's not to say I wouldn't, if at all possible, help others.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: shinethelight

Good question.

I am not the type of person that could turn a suffering person away. I would help in any way I could.

But if it came to the point where I have to choose between a stranger and my family, I would choose to protect myself and my family.

At all costs.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Friends and family baby if you are not apart of the inner circle your screwed...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
a reply to: Abysha
haha. I don't worry about the opinions of those who need medication to feel normal. You would not last very long yourself. I grew up with the members of my contingency. Everyone is on the same page. Hope your group is bigger than the people who need a supply chain of meds to feel right.

p.s. , if you cant take it, don't dish it out.

What the heck are you talking about? What medication to feel normal? Wait... are you saying you are "normal"?! "Normal" feeling people don't unleash their full sociopath at the first sign of a struggling civilization.

You sound like the type of person I will watch on the news as the restored civilization raids your compound after they find out you shot entire families who were just trying to ask for some water.

In any case, this is all a fun exercise. I would keep my daughter and I clear of your neighborhood, regardless of the shape of society. Scary people out there. Jesus...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   
If it hits the fan I'll only be looking out for me and my family it isn't my responsibility to take care of anyone else,nor would I have any reason to trust any stranger post SHTF,most people post SHTF will dead or killing others for their food,I'm not going to risk not only my life but my family's just to save some stranger that could have bad intentions.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I spent nearly 6years planning and implementing a bug-out location.It is nearly complete and off the grid . As I see it , everyone else had the same opportunity , but scoff at such. Safety in numbers? No. Help someone that did not help themselves? Charity begins at home. Not with others. Family only.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I think I would help those who I'm close with co-workers, friends and a few neighbors but that's it. It would be foolish to help everyone ( at least in my eyes ). Especially with the location I'm in I don't think helping everyone would go over all that well with me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join