It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yale students sign petition to repeal first amendment

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: reldra

They signed a piece of paper.

Are you upset? Are you one of the snowflakes that signed?

That is starting to sound more plausible...

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's funny you call them snowflakes when it is you and others that are "melting" over the thought 59 kids signed a piece of paper that doesn't mean squat.

Irony?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I am not upset. The other part of your question is not worth answering.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: hubrisinxs

Sonny, you haven't walked a mile in my shoes. You are completely unqualified to judge my experiences.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

That is starting to sound more plausible...

What sounds plausible?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: peskyhumans
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

No doubt, but he got 59 students to sign it.

Think about that. 59 of our best and brightest attending one of our countries finest universities, who will no doubt someday be leaders of our country, signed a document to repeal part of our Constitution.

That should deeply worry everybody.

59 out of over 12,000.

Context is key.

So all 12,000 students were asked to sign?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Remember that petition to build the death star?

Yeah, nothing to worry about here. Signing a petition means next to nothing and that's why they do it. It's a demonstration, not a contract.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Define offensive.

Give me some examples of what would be offensive to you please.

link   

originally posted by: 123143
a reply to: hubrisinxs

Sonny, you haven't walked a mile in my shoes. You are completely unqualified to judge my experiences.

Odd, one side likes to personally respond to the poster, without knowing any facts.

link   

It's funny you call them snowflakes when it is you and others that are "melting" over the thought 59 kids signed a piece of paper that doesn't mean squat.

Irony?

I was being nice. I should call these college kids morons. If they think that government can remove rights.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Define offensive.

You could include what I posted that you are referring to.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Irony?

I was being nice. I should call these college kids morons. If they think that government can remove rights.

I saw no evidence that they thought that, especially no evidence that a petition could do that.
edit on 16-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

I signed a .gov petition that Westboro baptist church lose it's tax exempt status. The only thing I envisioned is that if it reached so many signatures, that a process to look at that possibility might be entertained. I had no illusion that me signing it would make it happen, magically.
edit on 16-12-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

a reply to: introvert

59 is still 59. For Yale students this number should be 0.

How many said no? Do you know that number?

But let's assume these 59 truly believe in the petition. Do you want to change the way they think? Why should Yale students conform to your politically correct way of thought or speaking?

I thought you believed that everyone had rights like freedom of speech. These students just signed a petition to revoke the 1st Amendment which explicitly protects that right.

Do you or do you not believe we all have the right to free speech and should it or should it not be protected?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Think about that. 59 of our best and brightest attending one of our countries finest universities, who will no doubt someday be leaders of our country, signed a document to repeal part of our Constitution.

59 out of over 12,000.

Context is key.

If 60 were asked to sign and only 59 did, then it is quite telling.

But some will say that there are 7 billion people on the planet, so 59 out of 7 billion isn't bad at all.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

59 out of over 12,000.

Context is key.

"Proper" context is key. 59 in less than an hour. Not 59 out of 12,000. Liberal twist at its best.

How many in that hour said no? And why isn't the number of 59 people out of a school population over 12,000 significant? Statistically speaking, that very small.

That's .005 percent.

That is exactly the point. You don't know how many said no. What if no one said no? You don't know.

The point is he got more than 50 signatures in less than an hour. That is averaging right around one per minute. And he stayed in the same place and talked to people walking by. I think we can safely assume the entire 12,000 population of the University did not pass by his location in that hour. If he had talked to the entire 12,000 and only got 50+ signatures you would have an argument for your percentage, but not for how despicable it is. As it stands now, the 12,000 number is meaningless.

The fact that he got even one signature is a problem. That he averaged around 1 per minute for nearly an hour is very disturbing.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

59 out of over 12,000.

Context is key.

This is the beginning of one of your well-known trips down absurdity lane. Forgive me if I refuse to go down that road with you this time.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Define offensive.

You could include what I posted that you are referring to.

You were talking about people choosing to be offensive and liking to be offensive.

So I want to know what you think is offensive and to provide examples.

Do I need to provide a definition of offensive for you?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

59 out of over 12,000.

Context is key.

This is the beginning of one of your well-known trips down absurdity lane. Forgive me if I refuse to go down that road with you this time.

Your comment about 59 out of 12,000 is only valid if all 12,000 students were asked to sign the petition. Otherwise, it has no relevance. You were basically trying to belittle the number by providing the total student body which is an absurdly big number, but that would only count if they had all been asked the same question. I think you'll find they weren't, so we have no true ratio.
edit on 16-12-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: reldra

Irony?

I saw no evidence that they thought that, especially no evidence that a petition could do that.

So when they signed a petition to remove rights, they didn't know it was a petition to remove rights?

In France, they call that Le Derp.

link   

Irony?

So they are morons and you guys are snowflakes.

Got it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join