It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students practice calligraphy by writing "There is no god but Allah"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Well it wasn't English Calligraphy it was Arabic

A fundamental knowledge in modern America, you see.

Like learning Scottish Gaelic. Necessary in today's overpopulated world.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: Grimpachi

Just another Islam bashing thread. Nothing to see here. Seriously, a non story but the OP is doing his best to sensationalize it.

Just another appeaser post in a thread created to show the lengths to which mainstream society is willing to bend in order to accommodate a vocal minority.

The topic sensationalises itself... never mind, say it enough and people won't look into anything any more, for fear of being labelled some sort of bigot, and everyone will tow the line in bending over on demand.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Just another Islam bashing thread. Nothing to see here. Seriously, a non story but the OP is doing his best to sensationalize it.

Agreed, the Op's obvious attempts to create hype and racial hatred is clear.

What race is the islamic religion again?

Ahh, repeat it more, people will fall for it. Eventually. The bigots and racists will soon be silenced with all the greenies screaming "RACIST NAZIS!!!" at them. That's how it works, you know.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

I am not worried about it, but the question was asked of the OP if he was worried about conversion through copying squiggly lines that none of them knew the meaning of.

It means "God."

Kind of like, "In God we Trust."

"One nation, under God,"

What's the issue here, again?

Oh it's only been in the courts in the US from 2002, 2012, 2013, 2014, and more. For the very same reasons. Discrimination and defiance of the concept of the separation of church and state.

So I guess it's fine and dandy to have the Islamic creed written as a learning tool for a writing style, but the pledge of allegiance to the United States, is something to continually debate - and ignore.

If you want your kids to learn arabic script, go for it. Don't force religion hidden as calligraphy in classrooms.

When I studied Arabic writing many years ago, there was no reference to god in the books I used. Common phrases and words were used. When I studied Arabic language years later, it was communication between two people, non-religious in nature, often with an English speaking person asking questions of a native speaker.

Being an atheist I would have not bothered with the words god. Arabic can be taught in a secular manner.

But as the world is seeing religion as the oppressive out dated chain that it is, lets teach children how to worship allah by deception.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
The whole class must now be wearing Hijabs and turning down pork with all the commotion this will supposedly cause.

Lol right on cue with histrionics.

Tell us again how no muslim ever did a bad thing, and it's all radical nut cases. You are a convert after all, you should know best.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Next, they'll try to change algebra's name into "freedom math" & adopt Roman numerals for all calculations because "the Muslims snuck in their Arabic numerals! Creeping Sharia!"

Well, arabic numerals were stolen from the indian number system, hence not arabic.
And algebra was also stolen.

It's great that you think islam invented all these things though. Oh to be the superior religion huh.

the moon warlock must be spinning in his crater.

Funny how the god of christians calls earthlings, his children.
Yet allah calls earthlings, slaves.

:/

edit on 16-12-2015 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
There is no God but Allah...

La illah ila Allah...

You see what is said twice in that...

It isn't "there is no God but Allah", it's "there is no Allah but Allah"...

And it's known as part of the Shahada...
Probably not the best decision the school made but as Calligraphy alone it is beautifully scribed.
If done correctly.

Yes. but allah means god. Hence so many muslims tell us that the bible and the qur'an refer to the same being.

so I don't know what your point is. But the phrase "there is no allah but allah", used in the shahada, is a world recognised flag of hate.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AudioOne

Next, they'll try to change algebra's name into "freedom math" & adopt Roman numerals for all calculations because "the Muslims snuck in their Arabic numerals! Creeping Sharia!"

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAN ALGEBRA!!!!!!!!!!!! Darn Multiculturalism at work!!

The lack of knowledge displayed in this thread, and the complete lies told by those of islamic faith, is astounding.

it's scary actually.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
"The quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dog". Ah. Those were the days, my friend. Those were the days.

Perhaps the implication that the dog is lazy is offensive to canines.

#caninelivesmatter

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
just teaching them to be good lil supporters so they can avoid this:

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Why didn't you post the entire passage so people can see it in context? You didn't even list the entire lines in passage 12, much less give a link so people can see what it's actually saying. Here's the full Surah, so people can read it for themselves.

Qur'an, Surah Al-Anfal, Pickthall Translation

Besides, here's the Surah that tells us how to deal with kafir/disbelievers (kafiroon/kafirun is the plural form of kafir). It's short, so I'll list the entire Surah. That way, they can read it all in context.

Qur'an 109, Surah al-Kafirun ("The Disbelievers), Pickthall Translation

1. Say: O disbelievers!
2. I worship not that which ye worship;
3. Nor worship ye that which I worship.
4. And I shall not worship that which ye worship.
5. Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
6. Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.

Do you notice what I did? I told what translation I was using & gave links to the entire Surahs. Not so hard, huh? That way, people can both look it up for themselves and compare the wording with other translations if they choose to.

How come so many muslims fail to do this then?

Does this also stop homosexuals being thrown off buildings in the middle east? Does it stop rape victims from being killed? Does it stop misogynistic attitudes in places like Saudi Arabia? Does it prevent any of the other things that occur daily in majority islamic nations?

No, but you do not rally against these things, you simply deny them any part of your religion - despite them being written in your holiest of books.

When I see devout muslims, not timid munafiq hiding behind the veil of tolerance till the power shift changes, rallying against the atrocities perpetuated by the very words of your religion, then I will rethink things.

All I see is hysterical support for all things islamic. every time there is an atrocity there is silence and violence, until more recently at least, where global jihadi groups sich as ISIS, have made it almost impossible for you to sit back and wait for the right time.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Let's be honest here. If it said Jesus is Lord, in Latin or any other language, ATS would be on fire now.

I disagree, but I realize we are both entitled to such an opinion.

It is this special treatment for Islam, while throwing all other religions under the bus

And the other religions being reviewed in that class are they also "special treatment"?

Oh i dont know i mean it sounds kind of biased to me, not that i care, i mean i wouldnt really care if they were writting "Sieg heil" but i guess a few would be pissed at that also.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I almost didn't click on this thread because I read the title and thought "surely this isn't happening at a public school or the progressive liberals that dominate this site would've given the thread about 50 flags and 200 echo chamber comments by now".

But curiosity got the best of me, and I'll be damned if it wasn't a public school and the folks I expected to be up in arms about this are actually defending it.

WTF is really going on here?

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
am i missing something here? what is the problem?
i'm more suprised that caligraphy is taught in schools.

why would you be bothered that someone learned to write a popular muslim phrase?

Because it shows how much brainwashing has been going on with these kids and i think it should be left out of schools altogether. There also shouldn't be any segregative schools anymore.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75
They have have molted their feathers.

It is easy to see now that they have decided that the enemy of my enenmy is my friend, so they are championing their new friend.

They will deny this vehemently, like a recalcitrant child, their excuse will be, " he started it!"

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: laminatedsoul

Just another appeaser post in a thread created to show the lengths to which mainstream society is willing to bend in order to accommodate a vocal minority.

The topic sensationalises itself... never mind, say it enough and people won't look into anything any more, for fear of being labelled some sort of bigot, and everyone will tow the line in bending over on demand.

I guess you and others keep ignoring that many other religions were touched upon in this calligraphy class and the students weren't told to translate what they were writing.

Typical ATS of late, ATS needs to change its motto to embrace ignorance as it seems the majority do this and a minority try and deny it.

The lack of knowledge displayed in this thread, and the complete lies told by those of islamic faith, is astounding.

it's scary actually.

No its not scary, ignorance and hatred is how some get by in life whether they do so consciously or think the opposite that they are actually knowledgeable and not fearful.

It works for you one way or another

How come so many muslims fail to do this then?

easy, Muslims are humans like humans of all faiths

why do many of all faiths not follow whats taught in their religious texts, not follow their commandments?

No one is perfect.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The school shouldn't use religious text for teaching. Absolutely unnecessary. Why not pick a 'pretty' phrase by looking at neutral arabic writing and letting the kids choose one?

Secondly, I don't really care what the motivation was but I do understand why people are annoyed.

The point of this thread is [I guess] that anything to do with islam must at all times and anywhere held in respect and accepted at all costs, because...apparently it's beautiful.

I am an atheist but I can also see that christians are not treated the same. It seem ok to have a laugh at them or ban whatever jewellery they want to wear but muslims are always allowed to do whatever they like, because...muslims.

What makes their religion 'more serious' than the others?

Could it be that they don't take it too lightly being taken the pi££ out of?

It's not that people never got killed over a cartoon or had a fatwa on their heads because of books they wrote.

Religion must stay out of schools, even if the kids didn't know. The teacher got some kind of kick out of watching them write it.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: Rikku

I learned Calligraphy in school but in English and no religious phrases.

It is the religious part that is not being addressed.

I guess your fine with it as long as it is an Islamic phrase but I bet you would fall all over everything if it was Christian.

If schools taught Judaism and Islam the way they teach Hindu, Norse and Aztec mythology, I suspect there would be less problem with it. But they keep dodging the myth part of it. Thor and Athena are fake, Jesus and Mohamed are real. Wait, what?

But yeah, this "calligraphy exercise" seems to be a transparent ploy to appear PC. They went out of their way to use religious material relevant to a sociopolitical issue that has some nerves sore and this was their solution. Dumb as it is.
edit on 16-12-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666
Looking at the bright side.

Maybe now both parents and students, have learned that the last people they should trust are teachers and school officials.

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: mOjOm
No it doesn't make send to me. They use hypocrisy to point out hypocrisy, and they take sides to make this point. Makes no sense to me. If they don't believe, or don't like all religions, then they are against all religions. I don't even care if they do prefer one religion over another. I feel they are allowed that choice. I would just respect them more ff they were being honest.

I have no problems with anyone practicing or not practicing a religion of choice. It just annoys me when one religion is allowed privileges that are not afforded equally to all religions.

The fact that they have had a long standing feud with one religion more than others, does not make it okay to me, for one religion to be targeted over others. That to me it is showing not only a preference, but they are indeed supporting one religion over another, whether it was their original intent or not.

Most of the anti-theists are anti all theism. No exceptions. Maybe Judaism and Islam are the most noticeable because they both have a hard time shutting the hell up. Anti theists are just here to provide a counter point to all the members who have a jesus/mohamed-centric song and dance number for every day of the month.

You know who you are.
edit on 16-12-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

No exceptions. Maybe Judaism and Islam are the most noticeable because they both have a hard time shutting the hell up. Anti theists are just here to provide a counter point to all the members who have a jesus/mohamed-centric song and dance number for every day of the month.

Kicking a kid to get it to shut up is usually not very effective.

From what I have witnessed, the counter points are one sided, so they too are ineffective.

So many of Atheist come across as angry, juvenile, recalcitrant children, that wants everyone to listen and look at them, while trying to drown out everyone else.

A few Atheist like Hectate666, are true anti theist, and has no favor or animosity towards any religion. It is hard to accept that you don't believe that something has value, when you are constantly telling me what the cost of it is, and screaming at me that I should just shut up and listen to you.

It makes it seems that it means a lot to you to have me believe that it doesn't matter to you.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join