It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to be a follower of multiple religions?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I have a gift, or a curse. Im not confined by one universe.. What did, Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha teach? Abraham reformed the religion from Zoroastrianism ( fire worshipers.. )

Your threads is trying to justify the house of David,

Its in your head, no where else.. Everything is in that brain of yours..

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Jesus is God... Jesus is not God. They can't both be true.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Wow that sounds expensive and classy.

He was a man, son of God of not. The story is he chose to become a man and light a path.

He supposedly hung out with whores and money lenders because he understood them.

Where's grace?

The person I understand as my "higher being" understands we don't need to judge each other, that's what he's for.

One God.

Do you believe his messengers? Or not?

Greeks had a statue for a reason....it didn't need to have his name because he was the one over them all.

We don't get there alone, a simple message of community few get continually.

Church(all) is great in that it try's to model it.....yawn.

last time I looked every good shepherd found his sheep.

Dogma is so strange to me.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20106852]rajas[/post

?

Care to show proof of your multiple universes?

Abraham did not reform Zorastrianism. That is a false claim (in our universe).

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

They all taught humanity, being a human is a transcended state not a birthright.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: UnaChispa

whoops, sry was Moses.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: UnaChispa

The Universes not that hard actually.. In parables, empty your mind.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I am sure that a God that has instilled within us sense and reason does not intend us to forgo their use. There is nothing sensible or logical about the Christian religion. I respect its focus on love and tolerance and I respect the Christ as a great teacher, but the whole approach to sin and hell is obviously illogical and false.

I would respectfully disagree.

If there is a right way to be, then there is a wrong way to be. Actions have consequences. God forgives, but in order to be forgiven, one must acknowledge that one has done a wrong in the first place. Otherwise, one is like the 5-year-old who has learned he should be "sorry" but doesn't understand why and so isn't really sorry at all ... or like Robert Dear.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Treespeaker
One God.
Do you believe his messengers? Or not?

In this particular context, I'm believing the messenger who passed on the instruction "You shall have no other gods but me".

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I believe all religions are right in their own way, they're all explaining the same thing just from different cultural viewpoints, so yes you can believe in more than one religion at once.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ectospasm

Religion of all kind is based on the same rhetoric just worded differently; semantics. Which is why all the wars and killing going on in the name of any religion is even more ridiculous. Be spiritual, have a higher power, embrace love not hate...no religion necessary.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Hi there.

You might be interested in a book titled "The New American Spirituality; The Seeker's Guideby Elizabeth Lesser, who is a founder of the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies.

In 1977, Elizabeth Lesser cofounded the Omega Institute, now America's largest adult-education center focusing on wellness and spirituality. Working with many of the eminent thinkers of our times, including Zen masters, rabbis, Christian monks, psychologists, scientists, and an array of noted American figures--from L.A. Lakers coach Phil Jackson to author Maya Angelou--Lesser found that by combining a variety of religious, psychological, and healing traditions, each of us has the unique ability to satisfy our spiritual hunger.

Yes, you can pick and choose and create your own syncretic spirituality.
More and more people have done so, and it is especially suited for folks like you (and me) who want more than just one item on the menu.

Go for it! You might be surprised at how much crossover and common ground you can find if you're not closed off to other ways of thinking about life, death, and the perpetual mysteries we all ponder.

S/F
edit on 12/3/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Yes I agree.

My question in the larger context is this.

He came and knew a way to speak to the father, showed a way everyone can approach with an invitation.

So why worry about the matter of the knowing how to get along with the son and get on with knowing the father?

Priorities. The message being the medium.

The pope....is his job easy? So easy to judge when everyone has an opinion. How good a one would you make?

The message of most religion is how to get off a high horse not how to mount her.

myself, I never rode that horse it's waiting on the shore line.

Love me some swimming in the river.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Of course it's possible. I am surrounded by people who do it all the time.

Buddhists who worship at Hindu shrines. Hindus who make vows to St. Anthony of Padua or St. Jude of Lost Causes. Roman Catholics who consult astrologers to determine the compatibility of their marriageable children with prospective spouses. Turn and turn about again.

Only the monotheistic religions demand exclusive loyalty, and in Asia even that gets diluted. Indonesian Muslims follow ancient Hindu and animistic magical practices. Superstitious or desperate Christians will believe in just about anything.

It's called syncretism and is as old as mankind. Historically, monotheistic exclusivism is the exception, not the rule.

I dont see any reason why that wouldnt be ok.

Apart from upsetting all the Jews, Christians and Muslims, of course.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rajas

All major religions are the same. Its the teachers thats different, they all fill the same purpose.

I totally disagree. I know the teachings of many different religions, and they all differ from one another.

However, religious belief is not about moral instruction. That's just the icing on the cake. Religion is doing things to make yourself feel better about yourself and about your relationship to something greater than you. It's about rituals and practices mostly, and about the feelings that arise from them.

And for that, it doesn't matter what religion you follow.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ectospasm
Kind of like being a bigamist, but instead of marrying multiple wives, marrying more than one religion. I mean do they have to be mutually exclusive. Say I like some of the things that Judaism preaches, but also quite enjoy a bit of Christianity, mixed in with some Islam and budhism.

I dont see any reason why that wouldnt be ok.

I think everything is possible if you dont take your medication! i know someone who collects stamps AND ventilators.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Abrahamitian religious beliefs are the same; meaning of the word religion, means cultural traditions. The religion is the same, a dogma. Humans are the difference.

You try to place some psychology aspect to it, which isn't part of religion, but of human nature..

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Abrahamitian religious beliefs are the same;

The word is Abrahamic, and they are not. Neither Christians nor Muslims accept the Judaic teaching that the Hebrews are God's chosen people. Neither Judaism nor Islam preach the doctrine that God took on human form and sacrificed himself for the sins of the world. Neither Judaism nor Christianity believe that the Qu'ran is God's final revelation to Man.

meaning of the word religion, means cultural traditions.The religion is the same, a dogma. Humans are the difference.

Fiddlesticks. The meaning of the word 'religion' means 'the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.' The word is derived from the Latin 'religare', which means 'to bind.'

If you don't know something, keep quiet. Don't dress up a parade of clueless guesses in fancy dress and present them to others as fact.

edit on 4/12/15 by Astyanax because: I wasn't rude enough earlier.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

12th century, religio" conscientiousness, sense of right, moral obligation; fear of the gods; divine service, religious observance; a religion, a faith, a mode of worship, cult; sanctity, holiness,

your religare popular among people like augustine, which modern writers connects to "bind fast"

Or we can take cicero; relegere " to go through again "

If you don't know something, keep quiet. Don't dress up a parade of clueless guesses in fancy dress and present them to others as fact.

Well i do know, and i learned a long time ago, humans who try to act smart are usually somewhat stupid..

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

12th century, religio" conscientiousness, sense of right, moral obligation; fear of the gods; divine service, religious observance; a religion, a faith, a mode of worship, cult; sanctity, holiness,

None of those words mean 'cultural tradition'.

Or we can take cicero; relegere " to go through again "

That is false etymology. A completely different word.

I learned a long time ago, humans who try to act smart are usually somewhat stupid.

And so you dedicated yourself to proving the proposition, eh? Interesting hobby.

edit on 4/12/15 by Astyanax because: I had to ask.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join