It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is not a day care. This is a university!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The contradictions from that particular poster was too much for me...I just had to move on.

Sometimes it's just not worth the time it takes to post a reply.

The rest of your post, I'm in 100% agreement. I worked hard for everything I have....damn hard too!

I put myself through college working multiple jobs and often went days without sleep. I had to sacrifice certain "luxuries" like sleep because I didn't have a mommy or daddy to fall back on when I needed help.

I just sucked it up and did what I had to do. If I failed, it was my own failure. I didn't blame anyone for it...I picked myself up and moved on. I didn't really have any other option.

It's difficult for me to be sympathetic to people that do not and, will not take responsibility for their own lives. Those that try to place blame on others for the state of their being.

This belief extends to all generations, not just the ones that seem to be getting the national headlines as of late.

Don't blame others for your failures....that's the way I see it. If someone wants something badly enough, they will do anything and everything they can to get it. No one said it was easy and believe me...it's NOT easy.

I know this from personal experience

edit on 1-12-2015 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I just read this earlier today and I must say I agree with this man whole heartedly!

What has become of our colleges and universities today that our young adults have become whining, sniveling babies? "Safe zones" for when students are feeling butthurt? Being offended by anything and everything that isn't in line with their own personal opinions?

You're in America crybabies- wake up and smell the coffee! Our founding fathers guarantee our right to make you feel butthurt so if you want to be treated like adults then grow up and ACT like adults! People have freedom of speech here whether you like it or not!

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

what's your point exactly? everyone in this thread is pointing fingers at the millennials.... so, by your logic, four should be pointed back at you, lol. you pretty much called yourself out..

I'm 50 and I'm big enough to take the blame if this generation has issues, considering I have kids who are millennials.

folks LOVE to point fingers and lump groups of people..

I agree with what the guy wrote, but come on, if you're older take some responsibility, geez.

edit on 1-12-2015 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 0hlord

Then your generation will be immortal.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Bottom line here is this topic is low lying horse manure angry old men with nothing meaningful to contribute like to shovel all over the place.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

They learned from the best.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0hlord
Bottom line here is this topic is low lying horse manure angry old men with nothing meaningful to contribute like to shovel all over the place.

More like old people pointing out some people having a problem with accepting responsibility for anything, literally anything that happens to them and instead deflect the blame and attention elsewhere, or outright dismiss it as something not worth listening to.

Like your comment

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 0hlord

Shamrock is right. What it all comes down to is personal responsibility. If, by a certain age, you haven't learned to take care of yourself and take responsibility for your own actions, how can you honestly blame anyone but yourself? I and many others, got where we are by realizing one simple fact : Life is not easy and it sure as Hell ain't free. We knew what we wanted and worked toward that goal. No one had to tell us, we figured it out all on our own. The 18 - 25 crowd goes around like someone owes them what they want and when the truth smacks'em in the face they howl "It's not fair!" and whine for someone to fix it.
The world is not fair, it's not cheap and it's not easy. Wishing and whining is not going to change that.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

But you're wrong. That's not whats going on here.
It's specifically directed at people born at a certain period in history, not young people in general.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

I do and have taken responsibility for what I have done. Here is the thing,I grew up in a very bad home situation and my 3 siblings try not to,but do go on rants about our parents and how it was all their fault. Did my parents have some responsibility with the way they raised us? Of course,but once you hit 21 its times to put your big boy and girl panties on and deal with it. You can not go back and have someone 'fix' what they did or didn't do.

Life promises none of us a rose garden like it or not.I don't feel like I'm special or exceptional or owed much of anything in life. It is what it is.All I have ever asked for is what I paid into.And I paid into it because I knew I was supposed to get the money or at least some of it back. In my original post I put up a warning: painting with a wide brush. I did this on purpose so those who are not like this,would understand that I wasn't referring to them. Therefore,the only ones that should feel threatened or upset,is the ones it does apply to.If that is the case,then fix what you are doing,right now,this second.But anymore of REAL life passes you by. Do not sit there with the phone in front of your face and miss out on the beauty of this world. It comes with the ugliness.Take both,its life.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

"Low lying horse manure."
As opposed to the flying BS the younger generation seems to dote on in regards to all the claims of "everyone is special," "Everyone gets a prize," and "You're all winners." Newsflash, life doesn't work that way... 99% of the population isn't special, worthy of any sort of prize, and is the opposite of a "winner." This becomes more and more true the less and less effort children put into actually earning the prize, proving why they're special (or not), and pushing themselves to win.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think they have some legitimate issue and some ludicrous demands really though, I don't think they act (though they their philosophies and ideologies are vastly different than) any different than the majority or at least the very vocal do in their politics and expectations in society has for generations. I see a lot of people crying about these kids and their special snowflake syndrome who are very much afflicted with the same. You can actually easily substitute politically correct with special snowflake too, with all political, religious, societal, ideological factions guilty of it.

Millennials are different, I can't really find a generation to compare them to, but they are dogmatic about it too. It's hard to really articulate this. They are dogmatic about tolerance, if that makes sense. Where previous generations use Churches, Community Boards, politics to shape a society that is acceptable to them and keep out the ickies. They use group temper tantrums.

I think conversations that don't involve placating and molly-coddling them but still with them, need to happen rather than ridicule and scorn. These are the kids that are going to be responsible for wiping our drool and changing our diapers in our dotage and making sure that public policy ensures our safety and welfare rather than dumping us in old people camps.

I'm in no way saying to give in to their tantrums, if they start shouting and stomping around when we try to talk let us do the same. Sometimes two year old babies don't understand how ridiculous temper tantrums are until the adult throws one too.

Dunno. I just feel like ignoring/scorning/turning our backs is the wrong way to handle it.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

More like old people pointing out some people having a problem with accepting responsibility for anything, literally anything that happens to them and instead deflect the blame and attention elsewhere, or outright dismiss it as something not worth listening to.

Like your comment

Edit: Just wanted to point out that I agree with you....I was making a point by replying to you.

I digress....let's take generational issues out of the equation and make it an "adult" issue.

Just for the sake of appeasing a few that don't seem to realize that we are not talking about a generation per say but, a mentality perhaps.

If you are over the age of oh, lets say 25....and you are still blaming someone for your problems and failures...then, YOU are the problem.

At some point in ones life, they have to accept their life as their own and accept the responsibilities that come along with it...it's just that simple.

It's called personal accountability. It spreads beyond just one generation....Hell, I know Gen xer's that still live at home with mommy and daddy and still suck off the boob of the government.

edit on 1-12-2015 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

you do have to wonder, some of us older folk, if our "old generation" were thinking similar things about us? if only the internet and ats had been around back then, lol. I know I was no peach...

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
To me, its like this. You're taking close encounters with strangers, who's emotions and sentiments you don't understand and twisting them into caricatures that you then unfairly use to malign hundreds of thousands of more strangers, who now become victims of prejudice if they even slightly resemble something about that caricature. It's divisive and wrong. And to me its on the same level as racism and ethnic stereotyping. Seriously.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

You are right that it's easy to blame your upbringing for struggles in life...I did it when I was younger too.

You are even more right when you say that there is a point where you have to take over your life and stop placing blame.

It's scary and it sucks but, it has to be done. There's just no way around in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
We are living in the age of the perpetually offended, I'm am not sure it is any one age group.

I know some very successful ones .

Take a look at us old hippies, we are still screwing things up.
edit on 1-12-2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

But you're wrong. That's not whats going on here.
It's specifically directed at people born at a certain period in history, not young people in general.

No, you're wrong. It's directed at people who scream about how offended they are at every last little thing. And how their "right" to not be offended trumps everybody else's right to say nearly anything else they want.

Those people exist in every generation that's ever walked the earth. Millennials just happen to be the most vocal about it right now.

And they are by FAR the most vocal. And it's not even all of them. But it is very much a real "thing" with many of them.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

But didn't we create them, not me of course, but isn't it everyone's fault, besides me.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
If you haven't seen this, it's a well spent few minutes on the subject of Millennials as college students. This woman has actually written a book about it. I edited this because I put up the short one. This longer one gets more into the issues. If you watched the first one, fast forward to about the middle of it.

edit on 12/1/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join