It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is not a day care. This is a university!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0hlord
Shame on the older generations more like for being so narcissistic self absorbed and for eroding the moral foundations of society by not setting a proper example.

On behalf of all "Millennials"

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT!?

so to paraphrase...."it's not MY fault".

That is consistent with my experience of Millennials.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

a place to learn: to learn that life isn’t about you, but about others;

And there is where the problem starts. They think everything is about them. How it scares them. Offends them. Makes them look farther than their own petty feelings and God Forbid, make them face the real world, where no one is constantly holding their hand.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: seagull

Only our Intellectually Disabled child is receiving public schooling. Neither of us can do better than those who are trained to work with those types of children.

I hope you've thoroughly inspected the program you have this child enrolled in, because that can be extremely harmful. You may well be better off without the training some of these teachers go through.

- On Topic:
There's a very different culture now than we had when I was growing up (I'm in my thirties). I'd guess we're looking at a snow ball that started rolling after the great depression. It seems a lot of parents back then vowed their children would not go through the hardships they'd endured. School was promoted for numerous reasons, but I think its main lure was in graduation status. Most people didn't have much of a concept of what education really was, and it wasn't a priority in the working class values they were brought up with; they new a graduation diploma offered a higher status though. These children were told they had a special future. Many would be the first in their families to graduate high-school or go to college.

A question on your disabled kid: would you rather see them receive a high-school diploma (or equivalent) even though they haven't developed the intellect that would usually be required to graduate middle-school, or would you rather they reach their full intellectual capacity even without a diploma? While not mutually exclusive, these are both real possibilities, and from my experience most parents are far more concerned with the diploma than the education.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I agree there has definitely been some ridiculous stories coming out of some universities.
But I think this idea that we need to tell kids to stop speaking up when they feel disenfranchised is wrong.

They should see things that challenge them, but when that challenge goes to far then they should speak up about it.

I don't want people to just shut up and take it, but also don't want them getting mad about a sticker on a truck.

Also seems this letter is in response to one student that didn't like his sermon no?

Seems kinda of a weird way to deal with something like that...
Weird way to turn the other cheek if you ask me.
edit on stTue, 01 Dec 2015 13:07:09 -0600America/Chicago1220150980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 0hlord

Uh, maybe grow up? Stop expecting life to be handed to you on a platter. Stop expecting it to be easy and when it's not, whining loudly till you've bullied your way in to getting what you want.Stop whining over E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G and expect someone else to fix it.

Above all?

Shame on the older generations more like for being so narcissistic self absorbed and for eroding the moral foundations of society by not setting a proper example.

Stop blaming everyone else for your own stupidity.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0hlord

On behalf of all "Millennials"

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT!?

What a concise summation of the topic.

"It's not my fault I choose to act how I act, it's YOUR fault I choose to act how I act."

Call us self absorbed all you like, at least some of us understand the concept of personal responsibility for our OWN choices.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So a whole generation gets lambasted because millions of news articles are now accessible with a few clicks? I guess whatever makes you guys feel better about yourselves.

Go back to reading your local newspaper each Sunday and see how many of these stories you hear.
edit on 1-12-2015 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Doesn't the young folk suck?

People bitch about the younger generation, but at least the older generations had jobs to go to. What do the youth have now? teens that will be in debt for decades and they are not guaranteed a job after they graduate. And where are the jobs that can keep a roof above their heads? they've been outsourced or replaced by automatons. And the parents whine about how their kids have to stay at home for a few years. Boo hoo.

To quote Principal Skinner "We all know these kids have no future" and that will be true for some. If the economy is so great then why are kids living at home longer then ever? not every child comes for a privileged household and not all are entitled prats.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

Go back to reading your local newspaper each Sunday and see how many of these stories you hear.

This is a good point, kinda of like when something happens with cops we hear about how in the grand scheme of things it happens very rarely.
I do agree with the idea of a bad apple spoiling the whole bunch but we act like this type of thing happens every day on every campus.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but these students are being DOUBLE-screwed by Progressive Liberal academic and political ideology.

Not only is their education time and parent's college money now being spent on gaining completely useless professional skills while fostering a mentality of entitlement and constant state of being offended....

They are also being shouldered with a post-university environment of massive national debt, runaway unemployment and low-paying jobs.

These idiot kids are being royally screwed, and they think they're 'WINNNNING!"
edit on 1-12-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
I don't care about his religious affiliation. I dig his style.

Agree...

I've cited a quote by a white supremacist KKK member several times on ATS.

Not because he supports the KKK, but simply because he happened to be someone who was speaking the truth.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Attacks on Millennials = soot calling metal dirty.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

To paraphrase:

"It's none of my responsibility"

This is consistent with my experience of pre-millenials.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Do you mean the pot calling the kettle black?
Or is that racist and politically incorrect?

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie!

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Truly, the Ivies and Ivy wannabees are running on reputation. The religious based schools, Catholic, Mormon, Wesleyan, Lutheran, etc. often provide broader, less biased educations than those from the 'elite' schools. The limousine liberal students of the Ivies don't know what they need; that is why they are called students. The religion based schools are less likely to put up with nonsensical victims-R-us claims. Invited speakers are not shouted down by the PC crowd; all ideas are open for discussion. This is called education and not indoctrination.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

That must be some baby boomer reference I don't understand.

Well played.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I do agree with you in a way. Overall, parents just aren't as involved in their kids' lives as they used to be. Moms used to be the anchor of the family, but now, moms are working outside the home and they are just too dang tired to spend a lot of time connecting with the kids. Because of that, I think parents feel guilty so they spoil their kids to make up for the lack of personal attention. This (in my opinion) has greatly contributed to the "special snowflake" issue. You can't really blame the kids for that.

Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a feminist and I believe all women have the right to do what they want with their life, BUT, I am old school when it comes to raising kids. I always agreed with Katherine Hepburn who said she believed women had to make a choice between their career or raising children - they shouldn't try to do both (she opted for her career). If you choose a career, don't have kids. If you choose to have kids, then stay at home and raise them. If you can't afford to do that - don't have kids.

I should add that it could be the father who stays at home to raise the kids while the mom works. That's fine with me - as long as someone is the primary caregiver for the kids.
edit on 1-12-2015 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I see that other members have already responded to you much in the same way I would so, I'll be easy on you.

I am all too aware of how sensitive your generation is and all so, I don't want to hurt your feelings or anything.

We all know the mods are busy enough, I wouldn't want you to go and waste their time on a post/poster that hurt your feelings or anything so...........

I wish you the best of luck in your future. You will probably need it.

posted on Dec, 1 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

That is exactly why I left my career when my first child was born and stayed at home to take care of him.

I don't spoil my children one bit. If they want something, they are going to have to earn it...plain and simple.

That's how I was raised and that's how I will raise mine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join