It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Formula For PI Turns Up In Quantum Mechanics

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Heh..... Things like this is so arrogant and almost stupid.
He makes it sound like humans invented pi and that it then suddenly fits in with physics.

The opposite is more true; pi was always there, we were just too stupid and illogical to realise it. To deal with this with amazement even says that we still dont understand #.
Tricks are for kids.....

edit on 12/11/15 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

With local realism being shattered at every turn, it seems like our universe is built on things like math and information not any objective physical reality. What we call "material" seems to be like playdough which conforms and is shaped by information that's being processed.

Is that why so many people, including many of my skeptical friends, seem to all be noticing more and more technological and computer-related synchronicities related to their mind/consciousness?

I think Wolfgang Pauli teamed up with Carl Gustav Jung way back to hash out synchronicity in terms of quantum physics.

Fascinating, and sometimes very creepy...

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: corsair00

Good points!

The fact that local realism is basically a fantasy, something like synchronicity gets really interesting. So some of the things we call coincidence may be something much more.

For instance, I remember thinking about a school friend. I hadn't thought about this person for years but all of a sudden I had a memory of this person flash in my mind. Later that day, I ran into this person at the store.

If you look at this from the context of non locality, it wasn't a coincidence. There's no sequence or cause and effect in a non local universe, so in my mind the event was backwards. So I had a memory of my friend because in a non local universe there's no sequence of events.

So in most cases, I will run into my friend and then have a memory of my friend from school. But in some cases, the non local universe puts the sequence in reverse and I have the memory of my friend before I bump into them at the store.
edit on 12-11-2015 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: corsair00

One of the key pioneers of quantum mechanics Heisenberg was also a chess master.

Heisenberg saw politics as a “game of chess, in which the feelings and passions of people are subordinated to the charted course of political events, just as the chess figures to the rules of the game.”

Pauli told Heisenberg to give up chess and save whatever intellectual effort he could muster for physics.

Maybe there is jungian symbolism in famous chess matches such as Alexander Morozevich vs Maxime Vachier-Lagrave?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Aleister
Can someone with good knowledge of the subject explain this. Not quite a "Contact" (Carl Sagan book, later a film) level finding, but interesting and would be nice to know more about exactly what this is and what it means. Thanks.

Long story short: humans don't invent math or formulas. We just grasp and express them. We understand them. We discover them. But we don't invent them.

Beyond that: some formulas/ratios are harmonious enough to be worthy of repetition. Our fractal universe, which seems so mysterious, could likely all boil down to conservation of energy. Rather than reinvent the wheel, the universe repurposes giving a perception of a fractal nature.

Ok, that last bit is just a musing. But there is enormous mystery/beauty in seeing a chaotic system such as the universe find harmonious balance in the same way over and over. Even if it really is just simple elegance.

The Pythagoreans built their cosmology up from simple integer math. They observed the harmony of the sun the seasons and the cyclic motions of the astral bodies. Pythagorus is credited with the discovery that tones whose frequencies are related by simple ratios are more consonant. They postulated that fundamental resonance was the root of creation. String theory is built on this fundamental intuition. Scientists cannot see the actual wave motions at the quantum level because it is a complex resonance in superposition. String theory implies that like chords played on stringed instruments the harmonies produced can be analyzed.

By the middle ages the link between pi and probability was well known. Davinci described a static formula in terms of residual bivalve shell patterns and Botticelli painted the magical random dance that plays out on the surface of a soap bubble.

Given the historical understanding of physics and superposition the Heisenberg uncertainty principle sounds like just another teacher troll. Heisenberg was playing chess, perhaps the cosmology we develop depends on how we play the opening?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
seams the IQ of scientists has hit the bottom line... finally

QM is pure mathematics and now they wonder there is a PI in a circle ???

there is no hope for human race !

edit on 13-11-2015 by KrzYma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I can finally invent a gun to collapse space-time .

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 23432

According to Julian Barbour we can't even predict the future shape of a simple two dimensional triangle in space time.
Maybe there is a simple more intuitive space time but I think current string theory has 8 dimensions of "time" which are described mathematically. You would need to visualize the clocks in some kind of dynamic spacial evolution.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 23432

edit on 13-11-2015 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

No actually I don't see it as all that special.

The thing they found was somewhat fabricated---it was the error (I guess relative error) between a variational approximation and the correct value (given by QM). It had some finite limit as the quantum number goes to infinity, and that limit was pi.

I mean, there are all sorts of series and products that have finite limits of some transcendental number or another, some of those are obscure and some are famous.

The limit could have been some other much more obscure number or function thereof, or just yet another series which has a limit. Also, it found it with some sort of approximation---this was a human choice vs quantum mechanics, which is a fact of the universe. If it came out of just plain actually true physics without any need for arbitrary human mathematical choices, that would be more impressive.

I think the result is cute, but nothing much more.

The magic is in the sorts of series which converge to unusual numbers---and that's mathematics, not physics. Ramanujan's particular series discoveries are among the most mathematically astonishing & surprising.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Don't get me started on "The Song of Deborah" stuff

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join