It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Carson's Campaign Has A Rap Ad For Black Outreach

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

After seeing this video, all I can say is Ben Carson did nothing but alienate the African American community.

Here what Malcolm X would have said to people like him

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Yeah, I heard this the other day. It's really bad. I cringed through the entire advertisement.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Oh, that's funny! So typical! You wanna get black people to vote for you? Start paying attention to their needs! Don't try to placate them with a white girl-sounding rap song! How stereotypical! I can hear the campaign discussion now...

Hmmm... How are we gonna reach the black voters? They elected Obama, you know?
Well, I hear that they love that 'rap music'.
Hey! Great idea! Let's do a campaign ad and put somma that rap music in it!
Yeah! "I'm here today and I wanna say - Vote for Ben Carson, brotha"!
Sounds great!

LOL!

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

What makes them assume it's aimed at 'African Americans?' The music is what most of the planet listen to if they're under 40 or so. Putting vocal samples over some beats has been pretty much a common thing since the late 1980s.

It isn't an 'African American' thing any more. Rainforest albums by S American pan-pipe bands have done the same thing. Middle-class white bands like Enigma were doing it in the 1990s. It might be rooted in US black culture of the 1970s, but it's completely universal these days. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's clichéd and overused. Throw down some beats and play 'wise words' over the top to make them sound like something awesome...so predictable.

Whatever the case, the commercial will be aimed at the under 40s in general - it's just pop music.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

After seeing this video, all I can say is Ben Carson did nothing but alienate the African American community.

Here what Malcolm X would have said to people like him

The ad sucks. I have no idea who told him that was a good idea. Hip Hop hardly ever translates well in to any kind of advertisement. I used to always hate when some company would have an advertisement with some half done rap music.

The ironic thing today though is your house Negros today though are the black liberal political class.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
That was a rap?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Isn't the roots of rap music buried in politics and a races struggle? I would think maybe this move is going to be liked or hated dependant on ones own opinions.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

actually it's both liberal and conservatives.

I'm pretty sure Malcolm X would call Blacks who worked with the Republicans that are racists sell outs too because they support policies aimed at attacking the African American community.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

actually it's both liberal and conservatives.

I'm pretty sure Malcolm X would call Blacks who worked with the Republicans that are racists sell outs too because they support policies aimed at attacking the African American community.

And which polices are aimed at "attacking" the black community?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Isn't the roots of rap music buried in politics and a races struggle? I would think maybe this move is going to be liked or hated dependant on ones own opinions.

Yes, but rap is very nuanced and there is a fine line between being able to do it well and it just out right sucking. You need the right beat, production, and the MC's flow has to be unique. The rhyme scheme is also extremely important. As such, it is not as easy to create a jingle for advertising.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Well it seems Herman Cain and other African American Republicans are silent about this:

www.addictinginfo.org...
edit on 7-11-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
www.theatlantic.com...

An interesting article on Carson and "black Americans".

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Aesthetics and purpose/meaning are different, I still think my point is still valid.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

www.addictinginfo.org...

While the ad in your link was tasteless, it is true the Klan was founded by Democrats. The article tries to gloss over this, but the ad itself is factual. Liberal policies have been horrendous for the black community. I can point to several.

I'm curious which specific Republican policies you feel are attacking the black community. The link you provided is not an actual policy. It is about as tasteless as Joe Biden telling blacks that Republicans are going to put ya'll back in chains.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Wow what a tool made Ben look good.

I find it appealing that MSM and sidekicks are so concerned about Ben
edit on 581130America/ChicagoSat, 07 Nov 2015 10:58:17 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I think Carson has hurt his campaign. Whether or not he was pandering to the African American voter or those under 40, he definitely would have lost some votes from the 45 and over group. 54% of voters 45 and older are most likely to vote in an election. I'm in that group, and I can easily say that people just in my circle can't stand that music! What was he thinking?

He also shot himself in the foot about his anger issues. I thought Carson would have a chance for the nomination until I heard he attacked his mother with a hammer and stabbed someone. Those traits, no matter how long ago it happened, doesn't sit well with me, and I bet other Americans as well. He says he had a spiritual awakening and after that one moment he turned over a new leaf? Sounds like another George Bush. People just don't change over night.

Like I said before, the GOP is going to self-destruct. Carson is taking a sip of the same GOP clown Kool-Aid as some of his fellow candidates.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
What makes them assume it's aimed at 'African Americans?'

The fact that it was rolled out in African American communities?

The radio ad, called "Freedom," will run in Miami, Atlanta, Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis, Little Rock, Houston and Detroit, according to Carson campaign spokesman Doug Watts.
Source

originally posted by: Edumakated

Voter suppression laws and scrapping of a section of the Voting Rights Act, for just a couple.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

As BH says supporting voter suppression laws.
edit on 7-11-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I sure hope people don't vote based on the corniness of an advertisement or a jingles "authenticity."

I am no fan of Carson (being a Bernie fan) and hope he doesn't get the Republican primary. But I sincerely hope people will vote based on the nuances of a candidate's position on issues and not based on the style of music that they let advertisers use in their ads (or how well or authentic those advertisers made the said music).

I'm not going to change my mind on Bernie based on if he releases a country advertisement, a rap jingle, or a psychedelic polka. I would change my mind on him if it turns out he is a hypocrite or hiding a different agenda then he proposes. I would also not vote for him if my political views went contrary to his.

I judge Carson on his fundamentalist rejection of science, not an a radio ad. I sincerely hope other voters are not so shallow to vote based on using a genre of music in an ad.
edit on 7-11-2015 by AudioOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Kandinsky
What makes them assume it's aimed at 'African Americans?'

The fact that it was rolled out in African American communities?

The radio ad, called "Freedom," will run in Miami, Atlanta, Birmingham, Jackson, Memphis, Little Rock, Houston and Detroit, according to Carson campaign spokesman Doug Watts.
Source

originally posted by: Edumakated

Voter suppression laws and scrapping of a section of the Voting Rights Act, for just a couple.

So requiring Voter ID is attacking the black community? Did Republicans advocate that only blacks need ID or everyone needs ID? Are blacks not as capable of whites of getting ID? Is opening a checking account racist because it requires ID? Is the TSA racist for requiring ID to fly? Are cops racists for asking for ID when pulled over? Is my employer racist for asking me for ID when I applied for a job? I'm curious as to who all these people are without photo ID? Wouldn't it be more prudent to help the small number of people who don't have valid ID to actually get some ID so they can function in society?

Why would Democrats not want voter ID? Maybe the reverse of Voter suppression like Voter inflation, maybe?

So scrapping section 5 of the Voters Rights act that no longer relevant to the southern states it affects is attacking the black community?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join