It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: Hundreds of Cops Kicked off Force for Sex Crimes and the Stats Just a Portion of Real Number

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Then there are a lot of shows that follow real bounty hunters & repo-men (people who repossess unpaid goods), as well as shows on prison life & "scared straight" shows (where troubled youth are brought to prison to face real prisoners). Oh & there are other shows like "Bait Car", where undercover police will literally leave a new car in a poor area, with keys in the car, then film & capture anyone who takes the car. In other words, instead of using those resources to help America's poor, they literally set up traps to tempt America's poor into committing crimes. And viewers love it.

That is simply because crime is a business and like any business it needs to be viable...so in the case of these police they create crime to keep themselves in a job....that much is obvious...

Sadly a few bad apples seek power to abuse it.....but this is not uncommon in anything we humans do..

I agree. For instance, take away the "War on Drugs" and many law enforcement agencies & branches will fall apart financially. Many of them are simply too reliant on money from "War on Drugs" programs. They'd either have to downsize or point their "war" towards something else to keep their budgets in line.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
So in a 6 year period fewer than 0.13% of cops in the US lost their badge due to sex crimes and consensual sex that wasn't allowed on the clock. I'm honestly surprised that number isn't way higher. Say it's 5 times worse than what's reported, it's 0.65%.

Clearly it's a problem that shouldn't be taken lightly, I just want to keep the conversation honest so we don't get a bunch of idiots running around saying all cops are rapists.

I don't think there is a single profession you can look at under a microscope that doesn't have a really crappy element. I would be surprised if any profession (including cops) that has any sort of authority (teachers, doctors) doesn't have over a 1% rapist/sexual misconduct number.

I'm glad this article is shedding light on a problem, but there is a lot of nonsense. Half of it was reporting on a few cases where crappy cops got busted. It boils the blood, and when that happens people tend to cook their ability to think rationally.

It pisses me off too. Someone with authority taking advantage of someone else makes me furious.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
So in a 6 year period fewer than 0.13% of cops in the US lost their badge due to sex crimes and consensual sex that wasn't allowed on the clock. I'm honestly surprised that number isn't way higher. Say it's 5 times worse than what's reported, it's 0.65%.

Clearly it's a problem that shouldn't be taken lightly, I just want to keep the conversation honest so we don't get a bunch of idiots running around saying all cops are rapists.

I don't think there is a single profession you can look at under a microscope that doesn't have a really crappy element. I would be surprised if any profession (including cops) that has any sort of authority (teachers, doctors) doesn't have over a 1% rapist/sexual misconduct number.

I'm glad this article is shedding light on a problem, but there is a lot of nonsense. Half of it was reporting on a few cases where crappy cops got busted. It boils the blood, and when that happens people tend to cook their ability to think rationally.

It pisses me off too. Someone with authority taking advantage of someone else makes me furious.

Why do y'all keep doing this? It's not an "all or nothing" situation. Police officers are entrusted with enforcing the laws. That's literally what "law enforcement" does. That's the whole point. And rape, sexual assault, and molestation are all crimes (aka, against the laws). So there shouldn't be any incidences of this happening.

Once again, this isn't just any profession. These are the people who are given special privileges & abilities because they volunteered to try out for a job where they enforce the laws. Let's repeat that; they volunteered for a job where they enforce the laws. Society didn't force them to become police; society is entrusting (and paying) these people to enforce the laws, not to break them.

And no, it's more than just a few incidences. As I pointed out in my first post in this thread, a simple google search for "officer convicted sexual assault" or "police officer sexual assault" will show incidences all across the country. Even one time is too many.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Police officers need to be held accountable for their crimes just like any other citizen. They should not get away with major crimes like rape and murder just because they are cops, in fact, they should be held to a higher standard.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: reldra

Because a lit parking lot is safer for everybody.

When some yahoo is running around pretending to be a cop, you'll also see suggestions to call 911 and verify that it's an actual officer behind you.

So no, it's not made up. It's also not done because there's a massive wave of cops running around raping women.

A thousand cops in a six year window. Call it it three or four times that due to under-reporting. So you have a grand total of four thousand, which is an estimate, out of over six million sworn personnel in the same time frame.

Yea, that's an epidemic.

I think there is the rare 'yahoo running around' dressed like a cop. This shows most of the 'Yahoos' are the cops.

Wait you mean most of the cops that break the law are cops?!?

MY GOD WHAT A CONCEPT YOU HAVE STUMBLED ON!!

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Why do "y'all" keep doing it?

Yea criminals suck. It sucks even more when criminals hide behind a badge. The icing on the cake is when others help criminals hide behind the badge.

But it is not some sweeping epidemic. No matter how hard you and others in this thread bang your little drum, the numbers aren't there. Does it happen? Yea it happens. Is it some widespread, sweeping epidemic of criminality? No it's not. The source in the OP says itself that the number of officers running around doing it is a tiny fraction of sworn personnel.

But that's okay, it only took two pages for it to be clear that things like that are going to be ignored in lieu of trying to stir things up and turn things into something they aren't.

I'm sure you'll have fun.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Why do "y'all" keep doing it?

Yea criminals suck. It sucks even more when criminals hide behind a badge. The icing on the cake is when others help criminals hide behind the badge.

But it is not some sweeping epidemic. No matter how hard you and others in this thread bang your little drum, the numbers aren't there. Does it happen? Yea it happens. Is it some widespread, sweeping epidemic of criminality? No it's not. The source in the OP says itself that the number of officers running around doing it is a tiny fraction of sworn personnel.

But that's okay, it only took two pages for it to be clear that things like that are going to be ignored in lieu of trying to stir things up and turn things into something they aren't.

I'm sure you'll have fun.

Why do you feel the need to keep downplaying this? If you really support law enforcement, you should be pushing for a zero tolerance policy on police breaking the laws. Law enforcement should be the first ones to pounce on the criminals hiding within their ranks. Because every single incident not only betrays the public's trust in law enforcement, it betrays the values police are supposed to stand for. But downplaying this is ridiculous. Even a single incident should be unacceptable. Isn't that the same standard that law enforcement holds the rest of us to?

And let me get this straight. Mentioning the times when police commit crimes is now "trying to stir things up" and "turning things into something they aren't"? Really now? Will you hold Islamophobes to the same standard when you see those anti-Islam threads that are "trying to stir things up and turn things into something they aren't." It doesn't feel good whenever the shoe is on the other foot, now does it?

Also, did you even read my posts before ranting? Because I never lumped all police together. But you're giving the impressions that you're an authoritarian & thus any criticism of law enforcement is unacceptable. You should know by now that people on an open forum with the right to free speech are only going to push back when you try to silence us.

EDIT: And reading comprehension, man. I asked "why y'all keep doing that", as in, why do people keep minimizing the incidents. As if the victims are just collateral damage that need to be ignored for the greater good. Thats why I highlighted that part of the post I replied to. And yeah, I'm from the South so sometimes I say "y'all". It's quicker than saying "all of you", though I don't like saying "ya'll" too often. Rolls off the tongue weird.
edit on 2-11-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
Combine this with their aggressive behavior, what you have is a gang beyond reproach.

The problem with this is that it makes all cops look bad. Just most of them

Well I can understand why it would make them all look bad. They're police they are there to up hold the law, this even applies to them. If they can't keep there own in line why would anyone expect them to be able to keep anyone else in line.

The police need to do a deep cleaning of their ranks, not for the sake doing their job and keeping people safe. But to help their image and to make it a safer job for them. Do they really want to risk their lives on a gamble, cause that's what they're doing when they let the corrupt stay in their ranks. Sure a guy/gal might work in the gray a little, but can you really be sure that person wouldn't go even further?

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

When some yahoo is running around pretending to be a cop, you'll also see suggestions to call 911 and verify that it's an actual officer behind you.

So no, it's not made up. It's also not done because there's a massive wave of cops running around raping women.

A thousand cops in a six year window. Call it it three or four times that due to under-reporting. So you have a grand total of four thousand, which is an estimate, out of over six million sworn personnel in the same time frame.

Yea, that's an epidemic.

I think there is the rare 'yahoo running around' dressed like a cop. This shows most of the 'Yahoos' are the cops.

No, that is not what I meant. I meant that fear comes from actual cops causing the fear more than those impersonating officers- specifically where people are advised to pull over in a lighted area rather than on a dark road.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I was trying to assist You with the stalker/killer cop. The rest of My diatribe is for the class as a whole.

Based on Your prior posts, I would NOT lump You in with 'The Lumpers'..

It seems I can't get the [post] thing correctly and I've also noticed pics don't load; dialogue is cut off, etc.

Maybe I do owe a bunch of Windows™ money for My Mac™? A person keeps calling about an upgrade for My Windows™..

namaste

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Yea, that's an epidemic.

Curious Shamrock.
Riddle me this...

At what point or level should something be done about it?
Also, we all know about the Hollywood Shootout.
Police Departments all across America, used that one incident, in one location, in one part of America to justify beefing all police departments across the nation.

Using this Logic, citizens only need one case as well for requesting changes be made at the Federal Level.
Citizens have way more than one case pertaining to certain abuses as well.

Agreed?

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservantI think people outside of America may not realize this, but police have a special status in society here. I'm not talking about rights & privileges, I'm talking popularity. .

Come to think of it, as Brit, I just realized that you Americans have a hell of a lot of cop shows. The only one I bothered watching was 'The Wire', just because it seemed the most real and not over the top crap. Although McNutly faking the mass murders in season 5 was pushing it. But that show in my opinion is the best show of anything I have seen. Amazing TV, and some really funny parts.

I remember the white cop Pryzbylewski hitting a young black kid in the eye (and blinding him) in season one. When Lieutenant Daniels asked him why he did it he said "Because he pissed me off", and Daniels replied "No detective, you was fearing for your life and had no other cause of action but to use lethal force".....or something like that.....and because Pryzbylewski had family in the higher ups, he was simply allowed to get off scot-free.

Also, the police have families within the police force from the very top to the bottom and this is were abuse can happen and also be hidden. It happens in every single "establishment". This is why the police get away with many things.

edit on 2-11-2015 by Debunkology because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Not sure which part of anything I said can be taken as "don't do anything about it." So you're right, it is curious that you would try that tack with me.

Never said to leave it alone. I said it's not some massive widespread thing like the OP is trying to make it out to be, despite the OP's source saying it's not.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Yea, that's an epidemic.

No, that is not what I meant. I meant that fear comes from actual cops causing the fear more than those impersonating officers- specifically where people are advised to pull over in a lighted area rather than on a dark road.

That advice has been around long before the Internet came around to help certain people pull off a chicken little impression.

But you can spin that however suits your fearmonger narrative

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

It's much, much less than one percent of all sworn personnel in the country. Yea, it happens. Yea, it's disgusting and should result in not only decertification but criminal convictions. Yes it is a complete abuse of the badge, and yes it's ludicrous that people can not only get away with it but keep their job. It's disgusting that agencies will try to say it didn't happen when the media can report otherwise.

But it's hardly some massive epidemic.

Until it's your wife or daughter.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

It's much, much less than one percent of all sworn personnel in the country. Yea, it happens. Yea, it's disgusting and should result in not only decertification but criminal convictions. Yes it is a complete abuse of the badge, and yes it's ludicrous that people can not only get away with it but keep their job. It's disgusting that agencies will try to say it didn't happen when the media can report otherwise.

Until it's your wife or daughter.

My wife or daughter is still one person.

Big deal? Yea.

Epidemic? No.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Less than 1%... those are just the ones that got caught. Most people estimate rapes occur at a higher rate than are reported. There is no telling at what rate sexual misconduct occurs from police. The fear of retribution is going to be higher leading the victims to be less likely to report it.

The thin blue line exists. This story and how many departments purposefully don't track sexual misconduct and firings of their officers proves it. To allow this information to get out greatly diminishes the trust of the police departments, can't have that so they avoid tracking it. People are already becoming much less trusting of police, obviously this depends on city/jurisdiction.

It's not surprising, knowing what I've known of the LEOs I've personally known.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

a reply to: jacobe001

Not sure which part of anything I said can be taken as "don't do anything about it." So you're right, it is curious that you would try that tack with me.

Never said to leave it alone. I said it's not some massive widespread thing like the OP is trying to make it out to be, despite the OP's source saying it's not.

At what point is it classified as a wide spread problem ?In another thread we worked out roughly there was one bad apple in each and every police station in the U.S,which is more than i thought it would be.....1 in each station is pretty much wide spread........

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Debunkology

Ironically, I forgot all about "The Wire" or I would've added it to my list. I just tried to name the shows I could remember. There were also shows called "America's Most Wanted" (about some of the top current fugitives) & "Unsolved Mysteries" (a "spooky" show about unsolved murders, abductions, etc). But I think they're off the air now. And there are way too many famous law enforcement movies to mention.

And yeah, I had quite a few run-ins with those kinds of cops growing up. A lot of my friends were in gangs or in the underground rap world. Police would chase & beat them (even teenagers), take their stuff, then let them go. They'd "confiscate" money, drugs, phones (old school cell phones, not today's smartphones), and anything else of value. The basic understanding was that the police could take whatever they could get as long as nobody went to jail. Everyone called it the "tax".

This didn't change even once we grew in status & age. Police would come to our shows & even provide security for the shady club owners in exchange for "goods" on the side. I got out of the underground hip hop world after some incidences where the alphabet agencies were investigating one of my clients & his "street benefactors". They were upfront that they didn't care about the little stuff (and they named some trumped up charges they could've issued); they were after the money. They eventually got almost $50,000 cash then threatened the charges if we didn't forget about it.

American minorities have been shouting about this stuff for decades. Some of the original rap music was about the frustrations of this part of the system. So it always amazes me that people still act like this stuff doesn't happen. And it amazes me even more when some people try to downplay it as if police aren't people with their own strengths & weaknesses.

Ironically, I've also dealt with some really good law enforcement too. My Dad's been in nearly constant contact w/the alphabet agencies since he's an Imam & is a member several national organizations (and he used to protest a lot in the late 60s & 70s). And there are police in my Mom's neighborhood which are working with her & her neighbors because of a string of near break-ins & scams targeting the elderly. I don't dislike police; I dislike dishonest police & neutral police who cover for the dishonest ones.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

I was trying to assist You with the stalker/killer cop. The rest of My diatribe is for the class as a whole.

Based on Your prior posts, I would NOT lump You in with 'The Lumpers'..

It seems I can't get the [post] thing correctly and I've also noticed pics don't load; dialogue is cut off, etc.

Maybe I do owe a bunch of Windows™ money for My Mac™? A person keeps calling about an upgrade for My Windows™..

namaste

My apologies. I thought the entire post was directed at me lol. I had to re-read my post & try to figure out what I said to create the misunderstanding. Sorry about that.

And yeah, Windows is trying to update everyone to Windows 10. I've disabled the option to download it & it still tries.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join