It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: Hundreds of Cops Kicked off Force for Sex Crimes and the Stats Just a Portion of Real Number

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
SOURCE/AP

Sex crimes perpetrated by police, may be only second or third to violent or money motivated crimes committed by police. Poor record keeping and poor communication between courts, the state and precincts allow this to continue.

We have probably all seen this woman told to lift shirt/shake bra on road and this cavity search outside of gas station and thought they were outrageous and rare occurrences. It appears those are not the worst examples. Incidents go much farther than that and much more often.

edit on 1-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Wow, how the hell is this thread postless???

This should be near the top of the replies list, especially considering today's slow news day.

Disgusting revelations.

S&F

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Combine this with their aggressive behavior, what you have is a gang beyond reproach.

The problem with this is that it makes all cops look bad. Just most of them

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie
That is what I thought. I had to really confirm that this was from well regarded AP writers and was well-researched before I put it up. I took some time because it seemed too awful to be true.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It's much, much less than one percent of all sworn personnel in the country. Yea, it happens. Yea, it's disgusting and should result in not only decertification but criminal convictions. Yes it is a complete abuse of the badge, and yes it's ludicrous that people can not only get away with it but keep their job. It's disgusting that agencies will try to say it didn't happen when the media can report otherwise.

But it's hardly some massive epidemic.
edit on 1-11-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
It's much, much less than one percent of all sworn personnel in the country. Yea, it happens. Yea, it's disgusting and should result in not only decertification but criminal convictions. Yes it is a complete abuse of the badge, and yes it's ludicrous that people can not only get away with it but keep their job. It's disgusting that agencies will try to say it didn't happen when the media can report otherwise.

But it's hardly some massive epidemic.

Actually, when the studies say it is number 2 or 3 to police committing violent crimes-a great focus today- then it certainly is an epidemic. I would say that police shoplifting in walmart or vandalizing walls with spray paint are not epidemics. This is, though.

Have you not seen advice to single females driving at night, when seeing police lights behind them, to keep driving until they reach a lighted shopping area or gas station? I now see the reason for that. It wasn't made up due to a few instances.
edit on 1-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Because a lit parking lot is safer for everybody.

When some yahoo is running around pretending to be a cop, you'll also see suggestions to call 911 and verify that it's an actual officer behind you.

So no, it's not made up. It's also not done because there's a massive wave of cops running around raping women.

A thousand cops in a six year window. Call it it three or four times that due to under-reporting. So you have a grand total of four thousand, which is an estimate, out of over six million sworn personnel in the same time frame.

Yea, that's an epidemic.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Where the is power there is always abuse, and I totally believe that just a portion of the real number thing. But then, to be fair and balance this all out, there are some pretty rabid badge bunnies out there who don't exactly take rejection well.

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

If those numbers were used in marijuana related emergency room visits the cops would certainly call it an epidemic.

I guess it all depends on where your point of view lies.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

Some might.

Some of us think leafy greens should be legal.

The OP's own source says it "represents a tiny fraction" of sworn personnel. Pretty much sums it up for me.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

When some yahoo is running around pretending to be a cop, you'll also see suggestions to call 911 and verify that it's an actual officer behind you.

So no, it's not made up. It's also not done because there's a massive wave of cops running around raping women.

A thousand cops in a six year window. Call it it three or four times that due to under-reporting. So you have a grand total of four thousand, which is an estimate, out of over six million sworn personnel in the same time frame.

Yea, that's an epidemic.

I think there is the rare 'yahoo running around' dressed like a cop. This shows most of the 'Yahoos' are the cops.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There was a specific case I was looking for involving one officer who'd molested or raped at least 7 women. But when I tried googling "officer convicted sexual assault" and "police officer sexual assault", the lists were ridiculously long. It looks like this is far more common than I'd previously thought.

I think people outside of America may not realize this, but police have a special status in society here. I'm not talking about rights & privileges, I'm talking popularity. There are so many different police-based tv shows here that I couldn't even begin to list them all. But usually, there are reality shows from the point of view of regular officers (like "Cops") and shows from points of views of detectives & lawyers (like the entire "Law & Order" umbrella of shows and the "CSI" umbrella of shows). Then there are other niche shows like "Bones", which are focused on specific sections of detective works.

Then there are a lot of shows that follow real bounty hunters & repo-men (people who repossess unpaid goods), as well as shows on prison life & "scared straight" shows (where troubled youth are brought to prison to face real prisoners). Oh & there are other shows like "Bait Car", where undercover police will literally leave a new car in a poor area, with keys in the car, then film & capture anyone who takes the car. In other words, instead of using those resources to help America's poor, they literally set up traps to tempt America's poor into committing crimes. And viewers love it.

This is one reason why there is so much "cop worship" out here. And let me be clear, Americans from pretty much every demographic watch this stuff. Even famous rappers appear on these shows, with Ice T & Bow Wow having full roles on cop shows. Yes, the same Ice T whose group had a song called "Cop Killer" a few decades ago.

I said all that so people will understand why a lot of Americans support police under nearly all circumstances. Yes, there are also racial & economic factors too (obviously). But the constant barrage of law enforcement related shows gives much of the public an image of police which clearly doesn't include things like police raping suspects. And many may never even consider it a possibility unless they experience it themselves (or have loved ones who've experienced it).
edit on 1-11-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Where the is power there is always abuse, and I totally believe that just a portion of the real number thing. But then, to be fair and balance this all out, there are some pretty rabid badge bunnies out there who don't exactly take rejection well.

Most of these were women who were afraid to come forward. Not a wave of 'rejected badge bunnies' that made complaints. That sounds really...hmm...not helpful or TV showish....? someone help me out with the wording.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

TV show-ish? Um no. Try real life-ish.

Just trying to keep it balanced and real. In some cases there are more than one side to the stories.

That you find it "not helpful" isn't a problem with your wording.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Try checking "Deviant California highway patrol charged with murder..." He was out of Hemet and would make traffic stops w/out advising dispatch, so there were victim(S) prior to anybody doing the investigation. Being a retired cop I'm not going to do Your investigation. hahaha

The PD I worked at had a 'guy' on Probation (18 months before becoming like an old Army rifle- "You don't work and they can't fire You") Anyways without providing too many particulars, a 19 year old female came into make a complaint of "Unwanted touching" and this 'guy' begins the interview while the complainant is accompanied by Her Filipino Mother. This 'guy' then proceeds to 'act out' the assault, while the Mother is heard screaming from the hallway. This was on a Sunday at about 10:30 a.m. and by the end of the shift (19:30 hrs.) this 'guy' was FIRED! You could've filled a band w/all the brass, sucking in there.. Murders and kidnappings will make the locust descend upon the carcass(es)..

Would You like to KNOW what that 'guy' does now? Didn't do ANY jail time but He did pay some sort of 'administrative fee' NOT to the P.D. but to the victim, this 'guy' is now a member of the bar, an attorney.

I worked with some fantastic people and lost 2 friends doing 'The Job' but TRY (I KNOW this is not a simple task) and not lump all the cops in one basket, I got into 'it' not because I got beat up in high school but I saw a bunch of 'guys' beating up 1 Man and KNEW that there was a simpler, easier way in dealing with 'folks'. I NEVER got a citizen complaint and worked in 'The Hood' so if I can do it, so can the next 'guy'...

Proud Member of LEAP.

namaste

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Yea, that's an epidemic.

it sounds to me like those numbers are somehow acceptable?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

See that bloke in my avatar - he belongs to an outlaw gang whose entire ethos is based upon being apart from the laws of men.

The police these days are simply the other side of that coin.

and I say that with all due regard to my brother being a very high ranking LEO who confirms the "us against the civilians" mentality as being fully ingrained in the industry - as much as it pains him to admit. Unfortunately the bad guys in law enforcement far outweigh the good guys.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Yeah, I know but it started to gnaw...

Here is the Chippie story :

www.nbcsandiego.com...

And LOOK at what else popped up:

sacramento.cbslocal.com...

Of course with Me bringing this forward kinda makes it hard in "not lumping" well at least "more than a handful" may have to do something else...

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Try checking "Deviant California highway patrol charged with murder..." He was out of Hemet and would make traffic stops w/out advising dispatch, so there were victim(S) prior to anybody doing the investigation. Being a retired cop I'm not going to do Your investigation. hahaha

The PD I worked at had a 'guy' on Probation (18 months before becoming like an old Army rifle- "You don't work and they can't fire You") Anyways without providing too many particulars, a 19 year old female came into make a complaint of "Unwanted touching" and this 'guy' begins the interview while the complainant is accompanied by Her Filipino Mother. This 'guy' then proceeds to 'act out' the assault, while the Mother is heard screaming from the hallway. This was on a Sunday at about 10:30 a.m. and by the end of the shift (19:30 hrs.) this 'guy' was FIRED! You could've filled a band w/all the brass, sucking in there.. Murders and kidnappings will make the locust descend upon the carcass(es)..

Would You like to KNOW what that 'guy' does now? Didn't do ANY jail time but He did pay some sort of 'administrative fee' NOT to the P.D. but to the victim, this 'guy' is now a member of the bar, an attorney.

I worked with some fantastic people and lost 2 friends doing 'The Job' but TRY (I KNOW this is not a simple task) and not lump all the cops in one basket, I got into 'it' not because I got beat up in high school but I saw a bunch of 'guys' beating up 1 Man and KNEW that there was a simpler, easier way in dealing with 'folks'. I NEVER got a citizen complaint and worked in 'The Hood' so if I can do it, so can the next 'guy'...

Proud Member of LEAP.

namaste

Did you mean to respond to my post? Where did I try to lump all cops in one basket?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Then there are a lot of shows that follow real bounty hunters & repo-men (people who repossess unpaid goods), as well as shows on prison life & "scared straight" shows (where troubled youth are brought to prison to face real prisoners). Oh & there are other shows like "Bait Car", where undercover police will literally leave a new car in a poor area, with keys in the car, then film & capture anyone who takes the car. In other words, instead of using those resources to help America's poor, they literally set up traps to tempt America's poor into committing crimes. And viewers love it.

That is simply because crime is a business and like any business it needs to be viable...so in the case of these police they create crime to keep themselves in a job....that much is obvious...

Sadly a few bad apples seek power to abuse it.....but this is not uncommon in anything we humans do..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join