It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Students Revolt After Principal CANCELS ‘AMERICA PRIDE DAY’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Yes, I put this in the political forum. There are not enough words that I can express my extreme disgust with this principal. I hope he is fired immediately.

Students at a Wyoming high school took matters into their own hands last week by festooning themselves in the colors of the American flag after the principal and an assistant principal canceled “America Pride Day” over concerns that some immigrant students could feel sad and left out.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

+32 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

What a sick bunch of bastards we have in charge of educating our children

+46 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I guess those kids are gonna have to accept that they live in America now. So over the political correctness crap these days. Most other countries I've been to take pride in their country. When did it become offending to represent your own country. People these days amaze me.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Stupidity on both sides of the issue.

First off, who cares if they have an "America day" at the school? This is America.

Also, who cares about "America day" to begin with? It perpetuates an ultra-nationalist mentality that I find to be quite dangerous.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Yes, I put this in the political forum. There are not enough words that I can express my extreme disgust with this principal. I hope he is fired immediately.

Students at a Wyoming high school took matters into their own hands last week by festooning themselves in the colors of the American flag after the principal and an assistant principal canceled “America Pride Day” over concerns that some immigrant students could feel sad and left out.

Why should he be fired for doing what a majority of the students wanted? From the article you linked.

“Three times as many students indicated that they were not in support of selecting the title ‘America Day,'” Crisp told the News&Guide. “I’m charged with looking at a school with 660 kids, and I have to ensure that all those kids feel part of a student body. Regardless of the name of the day, we want to ensure that activities of the week…bring our students together holistically as a student body.”

+15 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I just love civil disobedience! Go kids!

K ids Wear Red, White and Blue

Hansen said he wasn’t against the school supporting patriotism, but after meeting with the student council and hearing comments he saw that a number of students didn’t feel American and felt “targeted and singled out by this day.”

Well, did they feel like they were IN America? Because they are. And there's nothing wrong with having ONE DAY, where the students acknowledge the freedom to live and breathe on American soil, and to enjoy and celebrate the opportunities that many of them CAME here for!

I don't like American exceptionalism, but I'm not stupid. This is a GREAT country and should be celebrated by those of us who are lucky enough to live here. If some kids are feeling "left out", that needs to be addressed and that could easily happen. But not by this action. This kind of thing only serves to make immigrants MORE “targeted and singled out" by the other kids!

+24 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Why would an immigrant feel left out? If you live in America, you're an American.

Right?

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I am not of your country, but I totally agree with you. We see this kind of "pandering" in the UK all too much.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I thought PC Principal only worked in South Park?

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

This is what you call a textbook propaganda article. Notice how the paragraph you quoted appears half-way down the article and says something that contradicts the story being spun with the title and the opening paragraphs? That is a trick that shady journalists use to spin a story to get people to think a certain way even though the facts are against him. If you hide conflicting information in the middle of the article or (even worse) at the very bottom, many people don't read it. By the time people are halfway through reading an article they are already skimming it, and many times don't even finish it since they think they already read all the most important details.

It is ALWAYS good practice to read an article FULLY before making an opinion about it. Looking at the responses on page 1, I see that many have already fallen for this trick.
edit on 5-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Why couldn't the immigrants take part in the celebration? They thought enough of America to come here and live so take pride in that decision.
I celebrate the 5th of may with some tequila every year...I'm an equal opportunity drinker.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Still not sure why they would feel left out. I don't see how it's hard to ware some red, white and blue that day. They wouldn't be removed for not or be kept from anything else.

This principal must be a total joy too hang around during the 4th of July (sarcasm)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Students at a Wyoming high school took matters into their own hands last week by festooning themselves in the colors of the American flag

So saddened by the indoctrination. There really is no hope left. Just blind slaves living under the pretense of false freedoms. We should adopt "Pride in Ignorance" as our country's motto.

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Sounds like the principal and his assistant are of the "everyone gets a trophy and there are no winners or losers" crowd.

.....waiting for the political correct monkeys to come out saying that the students who exercised civil disobedience are constitution-loving domestic terrorists in the making.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I didn't know there was a need for an American Pride Day.

To be honest, for the most part I am annoyed at most (if not all) "Pride Things."

I see no reason there should be Puerto Rican Day parades or Gay Pride parades or any of that stuff.

That being said, I also get annoyed when I hear stories like I occasionally do (usually out of California) regarding school banning kids from wearing American flag shirts during Cinco de Mayo, as it may "offend" some delicate Mexican students.

Disclaimer: I do support Memorial Day parades because like it or not, the military and those that have served have made incredible sacrifices for the nation as a whole.

Disclaimer 2: I'd likely lose an argument on merit, but the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade should go on for ever and ever.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: StoutBroux

Why should he be fired for doing what a majority of the students wanted? From the article you linked.

“Three times as many students indicated that they were not in support of selecting the title ‘America Day,'” Crisp told the News&Guide. “I’m charged with looking at a school with 660 kids, and I have to ensure that all those kids feel part of a student body. Regardless of the name of the day, we want to ensure that activities of the week…bring our students together holistically as a student body.”

So, does that go to show that "Nationalism" is dying in the US today?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Sounds like the principal and his assistant are of the "everyone gets a trophy and there are no winners or losers" crowd.

.....waiting for the political correct monkeys to come out saying that the students who exercised civil disobedience are constitution-loving domestic terrorists in the making.

They are and they should be put on a watch list...
Anyone who holds the 1st Amendment dear to heart is an extremist threat...

It's only a matter of time before these slow readers reach the 2nd and decide to bear arms...

All because of a Gay American Pride Day.

Flame on...

...Yourselves, for not knowing sarcasm.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: buster2010

This is what you call a textbook propaganda article. Notice how the paragraph you quoted appears half-way down the article and says something that contradicts the story being spun with the title and the opening paragraphs? That is a trick that shady journalists use to spin a story to get people to think a certain way even though the facts are against him. If you hide conflicting information in the middle of the article or (even worse) at the very bottom, many people don't read it. By the time people are halfway through reading an article they are already skimming it, and many times don't even finish it since they think they already read all the most important details.

It is ALWAYS good practice to read an article FULLY before making an opinion about it. Looking at the responses on page 1, I see that many have already fallen for this trick.

Well it is the right wing rag The Daily Caller.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Also, who cares about "America day" to begin with? It perpetuates an ultra-nationalist mentality that I find to be quite dangerous.

I totally agree. These are what swell the ranks of our armies abroad, waging unjust war for nationalistic fervor, killing innocent people abroad and making life not less, but ever more dangerous for America.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Actually, you make a good point!!

Agreement! There's a first for everything. (Yes, there is a 'however'...LOL)

What is currently going on, the culture war in the U.S. specifically, is FAR more dangerous, more immediate and a but a half step away from exploding in your,and my, face.

This is far more dangerous, in the short term than nationalism. In this case, it may even be described as celebrating a concept as much as 'nationalism'.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join