It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H & M Stores Run Transgender Sikh & Hijab Ad Campaigns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Swedish owned H & M Fashion Stores start new campaigns featuring hijab wearing model, amputees, Sikh Men & transgenders and utilising all transgender crews etc to show diversity
H & M Stores

And of course Britain First has jumped in with their anger
Britain First Calls for Boycott of H & M

I'm not sure how I feel about this whole thing. On one hand I think great and what does it matter? On the other hand I feel are these people simply being used as propaganda? Are H&M just jumping on the pc bandwagon? More importantly will these people be regular H & M models or just used for the sideshow, the effect and then discarded? I really don't know.

I think if H&M had just done it instead of making a huge thing about their campaigns being so wonderfully "diverse & representative" then no-one would probably care. We humans tend to accept things slowly and if H&M had simply started using these models without the song & dance it wouldn't have the effect if is probably going to particularly with the more erm fascist groups. Britain First state it is densensitising people to the threat of Islam (well they would wouldn't they?)

As far as the beautiful Hijab wearing model is concerned, could this campaign now turn more women to the hijba not for religious reasons but simply as a fashion statement? How will Muslims feel if non-muslims start wearing it because H & M say its great and trendy? I will say that in Tehran, trendy loose fitting hijabs are now a fashion statement, just enough to comply with the law but the women have turned them not into items of oppression but fashionable accessories and good for them for doing so, but they have come under attack from more radical Muslims (men) for trivialising the hijab and its purpose (invented by men of course)

This "trendy" transgender scene has already got one Bangkok model agency opening a strictly transgender model agency in Los Angeles claiming they want equality for transgender people. But is making a transgender only agency equal if you exclude other models? Can there not be simple integration without all the segregation? That is where, in my mind, the problems lie....making one group more special than another. There are some gorgeous transgender people out there who if you put them into a fashion show no-one would even know....and why should they and what difference would it make in the long run? Again, your sexuality should be your own its irrelevant unless it somehow impinges on your ability to do your job. Same goes for religion. I feel that announcing your sexuality religion or whatever, is the problem, these things should be kept personal and there shouldn't be any need to put these things on job applications or anything else for that matter unless as said above it is likely to impede you in your career. I believe we are long past the discrimination point when it comes to jobs & careers or am I just naive and hopeful? I don't think so. We are not allowed to put our age on job applications anymore for that is ageist, but employers are permitted to ask your religion race & gender? Plain stupid

These campaigns could be terrific or could backfire I guess only time will tell.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I think its a symbiotic relationship. Yes, H&M are getting good publicity but then the Sikhs and transgender are as well, They are both using each other and i for one say GO FOR IT. Its 2015, this kind of thing should be the norm, not he exception.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Just had to say that Britain First website is absolutely vile.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Clearly this advertising campaign tells me that if I purchase attire from H&M I will catch the black transgender Muslim, therefore, as a white hetro catholic, I shall test this hypothesis.

and I shall return here and post a photo of how fabulous I look.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I think it is terrific.

It is about time the Muslims get the politically correct treatment!

Everyone else is forced to bow at the knee of political correctness,
that was except Muslims,
now we are seeing real equality,
Muslims being forced to bow at the knee of political correctness.

Funny really.

I can't wait to see what the politically correct crowd do.
They love this sort of thing with a passion against Christians and Jews.
But they have protected Muslims as their pet darlings.

Now, oh boy, this is gonna be fun.

Just had an additional thought: I won't be going in an H&M now for a long long time, Christians and Jews brush off this stuff, Muslims bomb and terrorize for this sort of stuff, they refuse to bow at the knee of political correctness and will most likely retaliate. The people who did the ad campaign probably thought since the Muslims were the darling of the politically correct crowd (after all the left has kept silent when they kill gays, but the left tries to metaphorically kill Christians who won't bake a cake for a gay wedding, etc.) that the Muslims would fall in line and tow the line because the left has been so generous in it's support of the Muslims.

It's going to get interesting for sure.

edit on 8Tue, 29 Sep 2015 08:02:18 -0500am92909amk292 by grandmakdw because: addition format

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Why does this remind me of politics? I'll stick w/Amazon. Good info 0P!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

HAHA sorry had to laugh

I'm not sure I agree with the poster who says its a symbiotic relationship....H&M could be accused of using minorities (for want of a better word) just for their own ends as I fail to see why muslims sikhs transgender or amputees need publicity as you put it. Taking it to the other extreme where will it end....will we have ginger haired people up in arms wanting equality? Tropical fish lovers? Conspiracy theorists?
The ugly Britain First wouldn't have responded had the models just been employed as normal models without announcing it with a fanfare, but they have because it seems they feel these people are getting special treatment but hey that's advertising for you

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Just mailed you a Liza Minelli mix tape. Enjoy.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Are H&M just jumping on the pc bandwagon?

Why is diversity seen as "PC"? I think these ads are great. Like it or not, people, we are a DIVERSE world. Ignoring that and having all beautiful, perfectly shaped, perfectly coiffed, perfectly straight, non-religious "doll-like" models is more "PC" than showing the people of the world as they really are!

Perfect models = PC
REAL people = Truth!

I think if H&M had just done it instead of making a huge thing about their campaigns being so wonderfully "diverse & representative" then no-one would probably care.

Exactly. And what kind of advertising campaign strives to make sure nobody cares???

We humans tend to accept things slowly and if H&M had simply started using these models without the song & dance it wouldn't have the effect if is probably going to particularly with the more erm fascist groups.

Sorry, you don't speak for "we humans". This human (and I'm absolutely certain MANY others) think this advertising campaign is wonderful! I love to see the truth. And truth is, the population of the world is wonderfully and beautifully diverse!

As far as the beautiful Hijab wearing model is concerned, could this campaign now turn more women to the hijba not for religious reasons but simply as a fashion statement?

Oh, absolutely! Women are so freaking stupid, they'll buy anything and join up with any religion for the sake of fashion! I'm sure there are men who will become a Sikh or chop their legs off just so they can be a part of it, too!
:rolleyes:

How will Muslims feel if non-muslims start wearing it because H & M say its great and trendy?

Who cares?

This "trendy" transgender scene has already got one Bangkok model agency opening a strictly transgender model agency in Los Angeles claiming they want equality for transgender people.

Oh, NO!! OMG! It's the End!

But is making a transgender only agency equal if you exclude other models?

Well, if all previous agencies have excluded trans models, sounds equal to me.

I believe we are long past the discrimination point when it comes to jobs & careers or am I just naive and hopeful?

You are TOTALLY off on that! I'm sure someone will bring the actual statistics but there are many states where you can be fired, refused a job, refused an apartment, or even refused public accommodation simply because you're LGBT. (Of course, the religious and the disabled are protected from discrimination, as they should be, but not LGBT.)

We are not allowed to put our age on job applications anymore for that is ageist, but employers are permitted to ask your religion race & gender?

No. They are not permitted to ask your religion or race (those are protected). But yes, they can ask your gender. Source

I think this campaign is fantastic! You're probably going to see more and more campaigns, TV programs, movies, and other social communications that have more diversity, because for so long, they have been portraying everyone as fitting into a certain, very restrictive mold, but it's not realistic. The fact that some are offended by the truth of the diversity of our nation and our world is very telling!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I do not see why a "campaign" is necessary...just do it is my view not make such a fuss about it in the media. We are diverse and everyone does actually know that unless they live under a stone, but campaigns of this sort DO create a backlash from extremist groups such as Britain First and probably some right wing Christian groups too. This is where the divisions are created this is when such diverse groups are going to feel not accepted but under threat

As for the no-one would care part....you know I meant about the models not the ad but using a specific group as a tool to promote your wares isn't right in my mind. It feels like H&M are saying "look how cutting edge we are" and inflating their own egos for being the only people on the planet to be enlightened enough to recognise diversity.

Your source is for US law in the UK application forms usually ask on a separate paper for allsorts of information including colour gender disability religion but not age

edit on 29-9-2015 by PhyllidaDavenport because: missed a bit

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
So mixing transgender and gays with Muslim anything

Hum am I the only one who thinks that's a bad idea

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Just wanted to say I hope more women start wearing a hijab. Not because I want them to cover themselves for any reason, just because I think it makes them look beautiful. It's just a piece of clothing after all.

Personally I think it's a great campaign. I for one am tired of seeing the same old perfect clones on tv and films.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

I think everyone is, it puts lousy unreachable expectations on young girls which is why at last they have started using plus size models in a lot of places but even with those there were the detractors saying it made obesity trendy!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I do not see why a "campaign" is necessary...just do it is my view not make such a fuss about it in the media. We are diverse and everyone does actually know that unless they live under a stone, but campaigns of this sort DO create a backlash from extremist groups such as Britain First and probably some right wing Christian groups too. This is where the divisions are created this is when such diverse groups are going to feel not accepted but under threat

The left is so self righteous
they are blind to the consequences
of their actions when they target groups
in the most offensive way they can
think of.

Your statement is spot on and
extremely well said.

This sort of action only creates
more hatred
more division
more hardening of minds
more hardening of hearts
in those it targets
and causes far more
ugliness and problems
then it solves.

I for one won't be shopping at H&M
that is near my house for a long long
time - this campaign is literally
begging to see their stores bombed
or shot up.

Muslims aren't like Christians and Jews
who basically gripe and then crawl
under a rock and leave people alone.
Muslims will retaliate, and it won't
be pretty - and it will be directly the
fault of the people who purposely
provoked it. Even though the left
will play victim when the stores
have something truly heinous happen
at them, they will be the ones who
caused it to happen through their
purposeful provocation in the name
of political correctness.

edit on 8Tue, 29 Sep 2015 08:48:18 -0500am92909amk292 by grandmakdw because: addition format

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

The left is so self righteous
they are blind to the consequences
of their actions when they target groups
in the most offensive way they can
think of.

Your statement is spot on and
extremely well said.

This sort of action only creates
more hatred
more division
more hardening of minds
more hardening of hearts
in those it targets
and causes far more
ugliness and problems
then it solves.

I for one won't be shopping at H&M
that is near my house for a long long
time - this campaign is literally
begging to see their stores bombed
or shot up.

Muslims aren't like Christians and Jews
who basically gripe and then crawl
under a rock and leave people alone.
Muslims will retaliate, and it won't
be pretty - and it will be directly the
fault of the people who purposely
provoked it. Even though the left
will play victim when the stores
have something truly heinous happen
at them, they will be the ones who
caused it to happen through their
purposeful provocation in the name
of political correctness.

provocation? If you CHOOSE to be upset and provocted by this , i feel sorry for you. What a way to go through life.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
I think it is terrific.

It is about time the Muslims get the politically correct treatment!

Everyone else is forced to bow at the knee of political correctness,
that was except Muslims,
now we are seeing real equality,
Muslims being forced to bow at the knee of political correctness.

Funny really.

I can't wait to see what the politically correct crowd do.
They love this sort of thing with a passion against Christians and Jews.
But they have protected Muslims as their pet darlings.

Now, oh boy, this is gonna be fun.

Just had an additional thought: I won't be going in an H&M now for a long long time, Christians and Jews brush off this stuff, Muslims bomb and terrorize for this sort of stuff, they refuse to bow at the knee of political correctness and will most likely retaliate. The people who did the ad campaign probably thought since the Muslims were the darling of the politically correct crowd (after all the left has kept silent when they kill gays, but the left tries to metaphorically kill Christians who won't bake a cake for a gay wedding, etc.) that the Muslims would fall in line and tow the line because the left has been so generous in it's support of the Muslims.

It's going to get interesting for sure.

Funny, because the MANY muslim friends i have have (I'm lebanese) are all totally cool with this, gays, and everything else really.

I love how all you muslim haters lump them all in with ISIS and bombers. Such astounding, mind boggling ignorance.

And by the way...i suggest you take a stroll in the ultra Orthordox neighborhoods in Jerusalem with a girl in a skirt...i guarantee you will come out of there shocked, covered in spit and possibly hurt physically.

Or maybe try to get an abortion in the bible belt? Pretty sure they are bombed regularly. But i understand, the truth gets in the way of "muzzie" bashing eh?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Let's try not to make this thread another muslim vs christian thing

Its about media manipulation if anything and using minorities for their own purpose not necessarily to further the minorities cause, which shouldn't be a cause in the first place but that's the world we live in

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

...and it will be directly the fault of the people who purposely provoked it.

Actually, it will be the fault of those who commit the crime. If my neighbor continues putting church flyers on my mailbox, and I punch him in the nose, because he won't stop when I ask him to, I am the one who has broken the law. My neighbor might have provoked the situation, but I broke the law when I assaulted him.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

To be fair I do think you have some good points but I don't agree that these campaigns are offensive except to those few that choose to be offended, but yes some on the left do adopt a holier than thou attitude

They may be divisive and they may be inflammatory particularly in light of recent events in Europe

Until we are able to stop treating people as scarily different or privileged or special we won't be able to move past these issues and it doesn't do those groups any favours at all to be constantly highlighted and thrust into the public eye for dissection (with the exception of ISIS etc just for clarification )

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I do however wanna see H & M push this campaign in Saudi Arabia and not cave to Wahabbi insanity that we see so often in political correctness. There is an issue in the Muslim world about equality between sexes, transgender and homosexuals and keeping quiet about it will not solve it. To me the Hijab is a sign of caving to religious man made oppression and brainwashing. If it was not a order from the religious to wear it or else, then I could not care less about what people wear except if I find it attractive on a soul sister that I am interested in.

Do not know how the Sikh people feel about transgender or homosexuals but Sikhism do not as a religion mention homosexuality. Since Sikhism is a non dualistic religion based on equality between sexes and see all souls as part off one single whole I assume Sikhs are beyond the hate for transgender and homosexuals.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join