It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H & M Stores Run Transgender Sikh & Hijab Ad Campaigns

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I do not see why a "campaign" is necessary...just do it is my view not make such a fuss about it in the media.

The purpose of a campaign is to get people's attention! That's what advertising is all about. They WANT to make a fuss! I never would have heard about this if you hadn't posted here. You "making a fuss" about it is bringing it to the attention of more and more people. And I'm certain H&M (whoever the hell they are) would be thrilled that people are talking about it. That's their PURPOSE.

We are diverse and everyone does actually know that unless they live under a stone, but campaigns of this sort DO create a backlash from extremist groups such as Britain First and probably some right wing Christian groups too.

So... are you saying H&M should base their campaigns on how the extremists are going to react? I think the groups can handle the reaction. These groups have handled a lot worse than upsetting people in their lives.

...using a specific group as a tool to promote your wares isn't right in my mind.

Like beautiful, perfectly-proportioned supermodels? I'm not saying it's right or wrong. As long as they are all freely entering into it, it's fine with me. I HIGHLY doubt the models feel used. They are LOVING the opportunity and the check.

It feels like H&M are saying "look how cutting edge we are" and inflating their own egos for being the only people on the planet to be enlightened enough to recognise diversity.

So what? I think they ARE pretty cutting-edge and ballsy. I like it. I'm not sure you get the idea behind advertising...

I apologize for my USA-centric thought process. So, in the UK, employers CAN ask those questions, but they cannot discriminate based on the answers. Source I fail to see how that impacts this situation.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I have always found it refreshing to use real people of the world in advertising.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I find H&M's clothes
are of cheap quality.

So i do not shop there
therefore i could give 2 snips
about there Ad campaign.

it more than likely
will not improve the quality
of there product.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

So... are you saying H&M should base their campaigns on how the extremists are going to react? I think the groups can handle the reaction. These groups have handled a lot worse than upsetting people in their lives.

I think they should not but other companies are clearly doing it.

Ikea did change their campaigns to suit Saudi Arabia extremists.

newsfeed.time.com...
edit on 29-9-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Meh...it's all politics. I take a fashion company's stance on political issues about as seriously as an actor/actress' stance on political issues. Sure they can go for a big statement, but in the end all they really are trying to do is sell clothes. They are not a political entity and as such their "statement" falls flat. In the end, nobody is going there to buy clothes because they have a trans-gen/amputee in the ad....they are going there for cheap clothes.

Again....I take a clothing company's stance on political issues about as seriously as an actor/actress....not at all.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
The left is so self righteous

Oh, my Lord, God! LOL! This is about the evil left, too???

Even though the left will play victim when the stores have something truly heinous happen at them, they will be the ones who caused it to happen through their purposeful provocation in the name of political correctness.

So, when radical Muslim start terrorizing stores, it will be the left's fault, because H&M should have acted in a way that doesn't "offend" these religious terrorists?

You are advocating political correctness!!! If the Muslims get offended at something, we shouldn't do it because it might provoke them, and it would be OUR fault! LOL! You slay me!

Is that like those people drawing cartoons of Mohammad in the name of Free Speech? Should they have just kept quiet and refused to draw those cartoons, because it might offend Muslims?

ARE YOU HEARING YOURSELF???

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Let's try not to make this thread another muslim vs christian thing

Its about media manipulation if anything and using minorities for their own purpose not necessarily to further the minorities cause, which shouldn't be a cause in the first place but that's the world we live in

Advertising, at its VERY best, IS media manipulation! Always has been. Their INTENT is to get you to buy their stuff. This is not new. They use all kinds of people (minorities and otherwise), and all kinds of tactics, for their own purpose and the participants are willing. That's freedom. And who is to say what should and shouldn't be a cause?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Honestly, what ever happened to selling based on the quality of a product? I guess when quality is not there you have to resort to other means....just make the consumer feel good about your company and they will shop there....similar to fast food ads....nothing about quality.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

lol good point

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Would you really have shopped there before? Just curious.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
wow, i think this is the first thread i've seen on ATS in a long time about such issues where no one has said anything utterly abhorrent about trans people in the first pages... well done people, i have that lovely glowing feeling associated with knowing not everyone wants you dead

For real though, that's why we do need campaigns like this. Because not catching hate over what i am whenever and wherever the topic comes up is still genuinely a novel experience for me. Because far too many people still believe really horrible things about us even when they think they're being supportive. Because only being in the public eye in positive ways is going to change that and help my sisters and i to gain anything beyond a bare minimum of tolerance. Because we're gorgeous and it's about time that was celebrated beyond our own tiny circles.

i can't speak for the other minorities involved but i can only imagine it must be similar feelings.
yay positivity!
edit on 29-9-2015 by continuousThunder because: well that was weird

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Honestly, what ever happened to selling based on the quality of a product?

I guess we all buy things for different reasons. The quality of products and services is the reason I buy most things. These trendy advertising campaigns don't get me in the store or make me want to buy their stuff. But if people want to support the business because they are highlighting diversity, I don't see a problem with that, either. The important thing is that we have a choice.

I guess when quality is not there you have to resort to other means....just make the consumer feel good about your company and they will shop there....similar to fast food ads....nothing about quality.

Exactly. Great comparison!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
accidently duplicated post

edit on 11Tue, 29 Sep 2015 11:51:39 -0500am92909amk292 by grandmakdw because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Is H & M still Swedish?

I know there was a sale/buy something recently.
edit on 29-9-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

From what I know yup...they have bought out various other companies though maybe that's where you got it from?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

I am really not sure about campaigns at all. It still smacks of using the minorities for their own agendas then discarding them once the campaign is over. Be interesting to see if H&M still keep any of the transgender disabled Sikh or Muslim models once the campaign finishes.

If you as a transgender person thinks its good then I suppose that's what counts, I just think it brings more heat onto minorities that have already had their fair share of problems. I've spoken today with my ex transgender girlfriend (was my husband) and he thinks its just a novelty that will wear off and the media will then move onto some other crusade on behalf of another minority whether they like it or not, just to make themselves feel and look good.

Just stick a transgender in a frock bung them on the catwalk and let them do their job without all the hype over their gender or sexuality. Same for all other minorities let's stop making issues out of nothing if we can, then maybe there won't be any issues.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

a reply to: Annee

From what I know yup...they have bought out various other companies though maybe that's where you got it from?

Thanks.

There was something. Just don't remember.

I like their children's clothes.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Honestly, what ever happened to selling based on the quality of a product?

If trends change in the blink of an eye - - isn't cheap and affordable better?

When I was dressing up (too old now, prefer comfort) - - I'd buy quality basics, then have fun mixing in trendy styles.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Actually I have shopped there for my granddaughter often. Not now. It will be to dangerous for at least a year
in my opinion

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

It still smacks of using the minorities for their own agendas then discarding them once the campaign is over.

I think this is where I'm at.

I like the idea of using everyday people. But, don't like the one time shock value, then back to unrealistic fashion models.

If they would continue the campaign, even interspersing randomly, with regular models - - that I could go for.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join