It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis Addresses President Obama And Guests At White House (Full Transcript)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: SuperFrog

You'd be surprised at what I do and don't watch and do and don't know.

But I don't spend much time on people who insult me from the outset.

Stating obvious is not insulting...

I am sure that there are folks here (and not just here) who would still say that there is not much into global climate change even if they tell it with half body in water...

I remember watching documentary where would we get in worst case scenario... and now, few years later I can tell we are heading in that direction...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: yuppa
The pope.....really needs to stay out of political things. The catholic church is the reason why we have so many issues as it is. Its why most left england and yet here we go again a pope trying to tell everyone what to do. Until he renounces all wealth and the vatican dissolves as a state and spreads its wealth to the poor and needy i agree its just words.

The Pope is the head of the nation state that is the Vatican. Like it or not he is a political figure.

Im sorry i should had clarified. I mean OTHER COUNTRIES POLITICS. The catholic church was the world police long before the US tried it.

@KRazyshot. dude i had to ask yeah climat emodeling is not 100 percent accurate right? SO if its not that accurate why put so much faith in them? One percent is a huge margin when talking globally.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

@KRazyshot. dude i had to ask yeah climat emodeling is not 100 percent accurate right? SO if its not that accurate why put so much faith in them? One percent is a huge margin when talking globally.

Well are you asking this question seriously or do you already have an answer in your head? Because if you really want to know why this is the case, I can tell you. Though if you are asking this because you already think Climate Change is a lie then there is no point in continuing this discussion. I don't enjoy talking to people who let their personal biases get in the way of evidence.

For one, no scientific model is 100% accurate. It doesn't matter what theory you are talking about, none of them are complete yet. In other words, do you believe that gravity is real? Well the theory of gravity is VERY incomplete. Do you believe in blood transfusions? Well cell theory isn't complete yet either. Why do you trust THOSE models that tell you that blood transfusions are safe?

For two, the models have improved in accuracy over the last half century, and as they improve they further validate the findings that man is contributing greatly to climate change. Think of it like this, we are assembling a puzzle. We don't have all the pieces connected yet, but the edges are done and a bunch of the middle is filled in so that we can see a picture of a duck, HOWEVER the duck's head isn't visible. Would you say that calling the puzzle a picture of a duck is wrong?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Honestly i dont trust anything i cant verify for myself. I must had met too many smug science people to take them at their word. The fact that we are to go into something with incomplete data is what is worrying me. Its the equivilant of the US going to war in Iraq on the possibility of WMDs

I agree we do need to cut back on fossil fuel usage,but not at the rate they want to do it. too fast,too damaging. I can understand the worry though. I used to worry all the time. Maybe id be mor e inclined to believe Scientist if they would just stop acting so high and mighty all the time and renounce the paychecks.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Honestly i dont trust anything i cant verify for myself. I must had met too many smug science people to take them at their word. The fact that we are to go into something with incomplete data is what is worrying me. Its the equivilant of the US going to war in Iraq on the possibility of WMDs

So why aren't you questioning cell theory or the theory of gravity for those same reasons? I guess we should throw all antibiotics out the window because germ theory is incomplete and how DARE we assume we are on the right course until it is all the way complete!

I agree we do need to cut back on fossil fuel usage,but not at the rate they want to do it. too fast,too damaging. I can understand the worry though. I used to worry all the time. Maybe id be mor e inclined to believe Scientist if they would just stop acting so high and mighty all the time and renounce the paychecks.

Why should scientists renounce their paychecks? Do you know how much money it takes to even BECOME a scientist, and you somehow want them to work pro-bono? I hope you know that the scientists receiving the most money for climate change research are the ones funded by the Koch brothers that constantly try to issue reports downplaying or saying that climate change isn't real.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Honestly i dont trust anything i cant verify for myself.

So to test gravity and prove you can't fly you will jump from some tall building??

Interesting...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

Honestly i dont trust anything i cant verify for myself.

So to test gravity and prove you can't fly you will jump from some tall building??

Interesting...

No need others have already done so. And continue to do so repeatedly. ANd ive fallen before so some force exist,but do we really know what it is? other than supossedly "gravity"? Since all theories are not ever 100 percent and are Settled science right?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Ive observed cells and other scientific things myself so im not arguing that. Im arguing why do we as a species automatically believe someone in a white lab coat when some of th e most evil vile scum of the earth have also been scientist?

These people if they truly are doing it for mankinds greatest good will do it for nothing. The government should cover their day to day expenses and food,but they are hypocrites because at the end of th eday its about their paychecks.
Also Government needs to educate people who want to becoem scientist for free. If they want to go to th eprivate sector after paying the government back with years of service so be it.

Alot of scientist dont do their jobs for pay.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

No need others have already done so. And continue to do so repeatedly. ANd ive fallen before so some force exist,but do we really know what it is? other than supossedly "gravity"? Since all theories are not ever 100 percent and are Settled science right?

Exactly my point! Thanks!

Others, people from field are warning us that we are messing up with our planet, not just with weather and climate, but with oceans (in large part due to climate, but also because of over-exploiting), water supplies, eating up earth resources... and yes, they are done their homework, no need for you to test it or not to believe.

But, if you still don't believe, I suggest to watch some documentary that covers given topic.

For example, watch this video (if possible, whole video, because is well made documentary regarding ~70% of earth - Oceans, if you don't like to watch, just skip to ~55 min, tell me what you think about what do you see...)

Yann Arthus-Bertrand uploaded it to YouTube for a reason - so that people get warning...
edit on 24-9-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Ive observed cells and other scientific things myself so im not arguing that. Im arguing why do we as a species automatically believe someone in a white lab coat when some of th e most evil vile scum of the earth have also been scientist?

Some of the most evil and vile scum have also been politicians yet we still believe them. Maybe it's because you shouldn't be judging person B for the actions of person A.

These people if they truly are doing it for mankinds greatest good will do it for nothing. The government should cover their day to day expenses and food,but they are hypocrites because at the end of th eday its about their paychecks.
Also Government needs to educate people who want to becoem scientist for free. If they want to go to th eprivate sector after paying the government back with years of service so be it.

This is absurd...

I highly doubt that it is a significant portion of scientists that do that. They have college debt to repay. No one goes to school for 7 or 8 years and racks up hundreds of thousands of debt in student loans all so they can work in lieu of pay.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Um, so what?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Some of the most evil and vile scum have also been politicians yet we still believe them. Maybe it's because you shouldn't be judging person B for the actions of person A.

This is absurd...

I highly doubt that it is a significant portion of scientists that do that. They have college debt to repay. No one goes to school for 7 or 8 years and racks up hundreds of thousands of debt in student loans all so they can work in lieu of pay.

Yes some politicians are also scum(our Commander in chief for one) But i prefeer to verify then trust. The things i have read on both sides make me think that AGW is being over blown. Just liek when th emajority of scientist said the earth was cooling and we were all gonna freeze. Apparently they were wrong. and i bet they are wrong yet again.

Second point. how is it absurd? Why get into science in th efirst place if not to help others? why do they expect a paycheck for that? i Suggested the government cover their exspenses and education cost for a work contract after college. Like the US army does or did. SUre give them a allowance too,because all work will make them suck.

3rd i think its only th ewestern countries and ones with free choice scientist work for pay. I imagine in the cold war days soviets worked just to live. apparently they got by just fine.

@ frog. thanks for the link.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Yeah, # this world. Who cares if we're destroying it, we have a permanent home in heaven! This world isn't worthy of being saved even though it has nourished us our entire lives and been what we call home. It's just a means to an end, and that end is Jesus coming to save us, we don't have to worry about fixing things, we'll just let it all go to hell and keep waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting....

This is the attitude that has allowed those in power to rape the world and become fat off of it. The simple fact is, this IS our home and it deserves all the respect and care any person deserves. We are part of it, you should be grateful, but you're not. That's very sad.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Kind of musing yesterday and today as I caught bits and pieces of the Popes visit.

There he is the big celebrity, on parade, in his vehicle guarded by men to prevent him coming to harm. There he is standing next to the other presiding celebrity (neither of them disappeared in a poof of smoke). I half expected the Pope to pull out a staff and have it turn to a snake and crawl up Obamas leg…

I also saw his hurried, well guarded multi limo with flashing lights quick glimpse of him tonight… zoom by in a caravan of guards. Here he is the celebrity, the father figure, the Holy See…

Just a man. And yet he did say something about the armaments being used on peoples for money, money drenched with blood.

“Why are deadly weapons being sold to those who plan to inflict untold suffering on individuals and society?” he asked. “Sadly, the answer, as we all know, is simply for money – money that is drenched in blood, often innocent blood. In the face of this shameful and culpable silence, it is our duty to confront the problem and to stop the arms trade.”

Article

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Pope Francis addressed the nation from the South Lawn of the White House on Wednesday, touching on the topics that are closest to his heart.

The pontiff, speaking in English, talked about climate change, immigration, and care for those on the margins of society. Pope Francis quoted from Martin Luther King, Jr.'s famous "I Have a Dream" speech.

Pope Francis Addresses President Obama And Guests At White House (Full Transcript)

It's nice to see a Christian who not only DOESN'T deny science, but actively promotes it. Especially one that is seen as the leader of one of the largest denominations of Christianity in the world.

The full transcript of his speech is on the link, but I've linked a few good parts below:

Mr. President, I find it encouraging that you are proposing an initiative for reducing air pollution. Accepting the urgency, it seems clear to me also that climate change is a problem which can no longer be left to a future generation. When it comes to the care of our “common home”, we are living at a critical moment of history. We still have time to make the changes needed to bring about “a sustainable and integral development, for we know that things can change” (Laudato Si’, 13). Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them. Our common home has been part of this group of the excluded which cries out to heaven and which today powerfully strikes our homes, our cities and our societies. To use a telling phrase of the Reverend Martin Luther King, we can say that we have defaulted on a promissory note and now is the time to honor it.

Francis is probably going to encounter some resistance to these words, but I think he is 100% on the mark. Hell, even IF climate change is a lie (it isn't), what do you lose by making sure that we aren't destroying the environment? Is it REALLY such a bad thing to care about what wastes we create and if they could potentially make parts of the planet unlivable?

The efforts which were recently made to mend broken relationships and to open new doors to cooperation within our human family represent positive steps along the path of reconciliation, justice and freedom. I would like all men and women of good will in this great nation to support the efforts of the international community to protect the vulnerable in our world and to stimulate integral and inclusive models of development, so that our brothers and sisters everywhere may know the blessings of peace and prosperity which God wills for all his children.

You know what that means? That means that we don't whine that a bunch of refugees are fleeing a war torn country to safer countries and just accept them so that they can recontinue their lives. These people have already experienced the worst of humanity, arguing over taking them in or not just shows that you don't care about them.

Too bad I'm not a Catholic anymore, but hopefully his words reach the many Christians in this country who have lost their way and he helps wake them up so that they can act like true Christians again.

Let's not forget that they fund one of the working telescopes on Mt. Graham, Arizona, USA. Near Safford, AZ.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
How many folk cringed when the Pope took children in his arms? The Vatican and it's hordes of pedophiles is the most evil piece of sh*t this planet has ever produced.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

This is absurd...

Yes some politicians are also scum(our Commander in chief for one) But i prefeer to verify then trust. The things i have read on both sides make me think that AGW is being over blown. Just liek when th emajority of scientist said the earth was cooling and we were all gonna freeze. Apparently they were wrong. and i bet they are wrong yet again.

The only thing they've been wrong about are their most extreme predictions (which are the ones that politicians latch onto). Their more moderate and less extreme ones are all mostly true though.

Second point. how is it absurd? Why get into science in th efirst place if not to help others? why do they expect a paycheck for that? i Suggested the government cover their exspenses and education cost for a work contract after college. Like the US army does or did. SUre give them a allowance too,because all work will make them suck.

Because that's how our society works. I don't like shill scientists any more than you do, but to naively believe that a WHOLE field of science the world over is tainted by corruption just because shill scientists exist is rather unrealistic. It's more realistic that the scientists trying to say that climate change isn't real are on the take instead. There are less of them. I already know that this is true, since I've seen that they really DO make tons more money than the scientists at the IPCC.

3rd i think its only th ewestern countries and ones with free choice scientist work for pay. I imagine in the cold war days soviets worked just to live. apparently they got by just fine.

@ frog. thanks for the link.

Yea and the USSR's science was crappy. They barely had a space program and had to steal the secret to how to make nuclear weapons from us. Look how far behind China was before they became more Capitalistic. You chose a VERY poor example mate.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Friends, this world is not your home, so don’t make yourselves cozy in it. Live an exemplary life among the natives

For our citizenship is in heaven

I don't know if someone has already responded to this but, this right here, this mentality christians have about the earth and our purpose here, is why bad people get away with bad things. See, people are more than happy to treat the symptoms of corruption, such as poverty addition and criminal behavior, and a lot of good is done in this world because of that compassion, however because a seed of "we are strangers here" and "obey the authority" and "don't rock the boat, jesus will take you off it any century now.... any century now", has been planted deep within our unconscious through generations of religious worldview, bad people have been allowed to take the wheel and steer this sucker wherever they want it to go. The world isn't evil because Adam and Eve disobeyed God, it is evil because humanity keeps giving bad people (snakes) authority. The old testament is an allergory of what happens when we obey those that tell us to do bad or stupid things, and we keep falling for that same old line over and over again; "do this and you'll be as gods" "don't do this and you'll be one with god". Meanwhile the world is going to hell in a handbasket and we dissociate by deciding that we are just here for a short stop over, or if we don't believe in the gods of our ancestors, that we are a cancer on the earth and it can do without us. Either way the bad guys are winning because we are conditioned not to unify, we are only allowed to be good and obedient, because only that will save our soul, and thats all that matters.
That is the true sin.
Earth is our home, if we don't start taking care of her and eachother, we will be kicked out!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute - where no Catholic prelate would tell the President (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote - where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference - and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the President who might appoint him or the people who might elect him.

I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish - where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source - where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials - and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.

― John F. Kennedy

Although I too am religious I don't believe that gives me any more right to push any opinion. Clearly the Pope has no place in senate to push his NWO agenda which he continually does. The NWO needs carbon tax to fund its third tier of government on the worlds people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join