It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murder Rates Rising Sharply in Many U.S. Cities

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
According to statistics from some big cities, murders are up from last year already.

Nobody seems to be able to put their finger on the "reasons" either.

A real stumper I guess.

But some say it's because of the recent public outrage about the police shootings.

I wonder what the Federal TaskForce is doing?

Maybe it's just the police "paring" back on orders from the high officials in the cities in hopes of a Federal investigation and action that gets them "off the hook" for their own big city government out-of-control failures.

I think many of those big city officials are on the Federal TaskForce.

Hmmm.

Something is amok for sure. Why have they failed to solve this problem?

Murder Rates Rising Sharply in Many U.S. Cities

Cities across the nation are seeing a startling rise in murders after years of declines, and few places have witnessed a shift as precipitous as this city. With the summer not yet over, 104 people have been killed this year — after 86 homicides in all of 2014.

More than 30 other cities have also reported increases in violence from a year ago. In New Orleans, 120 people had been killed by late August, compared with 98 during the same period a year earlier. In Baltimore, homicides had hit 215, up from 138 at the same point in 2014. In Washington, the toll was 105, compared with 73 people a year ago. And in St. Louis, 136 people had been killed this year, a 60 percent rise from the 85 murders the city had by the same time last year.

Law enforcement experts say disparate factors are at play in different cities, though no one is claiming to know for sure why murder rates are climbing. Some officials say intense national scrutiny of the use of force by the police has made officers less aggressive and emboldened criminals, though many experts dispute that theory.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
maybe not giving out guns like candy could help lower those numbers.
but i am sure we can find a scapegoat to not have the conversation america needs to have.
So let's blame miley cyrus

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

It's not GUNS !!
It's DRUGS, CRACK , PIlls ,Heroin !!

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
How about it's a result of people completely feed up with the systemic political corruption within our government (all levels), crappy economy since 2008, lack of hope/opportunity for improving one's financial disposition and increasing racial tensions?

Oh wait, let's just blame it all on an inanimate object instead...

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
but i am sure we can find a scapegoat to not have the conversation america needs to have.

I completely agree, but as I have learned from my own past threads you are about to get a tsunami of ignorance thrown at you by people who can't stand the thought of not being able to kill other living things with a penis extension.

I'm not anti-guns, in fact I'm in the process of applying for my own shooters license in my country - a country (Australia) who incidentally has seen murder rates and suicides plummet since we introduced restrictions on gun ownership a few decades ago - oh and not a single mass murder since then either. So yeah, i'm not anti guns - but I do agree with and support having gun restrictions.
edit on 1/9/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: surfinguru

that would be a good point if politicians/ people in power were being shot dead, but it's not the case.
And to be clear i do not blame the gun itself, it needs an operator to do it's thing.
But let's not pretend that america does not have a gun problem in the sense of how easy it is for everyone to get access.
in 17 years of living in italy, i hardly ever heard about mass/school shootings
in america you can't make it through 2 months without one.
it's not the object, it's how it's being handed out.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It's a combination of things like people losing jobs due to outsourcing and cut backs, end up losing their home, they can lose hope after years of sending out resumes to no avail, turn to drugs and alcohol and get into crime to pay for these habbits.
There's lots of desperate people with nothing to lose.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Wallstreet doing great (although that could change soon), mainstreet not doing great. Anyways my point is when more people have no jobs/future and if that's the case crime goes up. Support the big company's/big money, screw the people.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

I completely agree, but as I have learned from my own past threads you are about to get a tsunami of ignorance thrown at you by people who can't stand the thought of not being able to kill other living things with a penis extension.

I'm not anti-guns, in fact I'm in the process of applying for my own shooters license in my country - a country (Australia) who incidentally has seen murder rates and suicides plummet since we introduced restrictions on gun ownership a few decades ago - oh and not a single mass murder since then either. So yeah, i'm not anti guns - but I do agree with and support having gun restrictions.

Hard to believe anything you have to say after you refer to guns as a "penis-extension".

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Interesting concept.

But who exactly is handing out guns?

I thought the criminals doing the shooting is the problem.

The whole problem is a government failure 100%.

link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It's not by accident. It's by design.

"They" are waiting for things to get so completely out of control that "they" will have to turn towards a Federal Police Force.

link   
Lots of cities in the US. Funny thing they don't mention the cities where it's decreased this year. Guess you gotta make a sensational headline to push propaganda these days.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla

Hard to believe anything you have to say after you refer to guns as a "penis-extension".

It's hard to take anyone seriously who cherry picks a small part of the total post and ignores the main chunk of it.

It's also hard to take anyone seriously who dismisses proven facts that don't jive with their world view.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpace
It's a combination of things like people losing jobs due to outsourcing and cut backs, end up losing their home, they can lose hope after years of sending out resumes to no avail, turn to drugs and alcohol and get into crime to pay for these habbits.
There's lots of desperate people with nothing to lose.

So you claim it's not mostly career criminals doing all this?

I bet the murder rates were high even in the best of economic times.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Lots of cities in the US. Funny thing they don't mention the cities where it's decreased this year. Guess you gotta make a sensational headline to push propaganda these days.

Well you can certainly bring those statistics into the topic if you want to.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Could be any number of reasons. Here's some stabs in the dark:

A. Changes to abortion and reproductive rights that has resulted in a huge surge of unwanted pregnancies(Wisconsin and Missouri are some of the worst offenders on this one...passing laws throughout years which means that many of those children are now coming of "age". Not to mention having a baby when you don't have means to raise it causes very bad situations all around. Wish someone would do some follow up data on this one as I am curious)

freakonomics.com...

B. Media attention to recent police brutality cases. Cops weren't very good to begin with and many have probably stopped intervening effectively for certain communities at this point. Kind of like "What you don't like being shot at unconstitutionally? Well fine...I'm not helping anyone!"

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

I pointed out the only part that mattered: your obvious bias

If you really wanted to have a logical discussion about gun violence you would leave your feelings at the door.

Seems you just want to demonize anyone who doesn't fit into your world view by setting the discussion up in such a way where you have the moral high ground and those who disagree need "penis extensions"

I'll give you this. I did cherry pick - hard not to when theres only one on the tree

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

that would be a good point if politicians/ people in power were being shot dead, but it's not the case.
And to be clear i do not blame the gun itself, it needs an operator to do it's thing.
But let's not pretend that america does not have a gun problem in the sense of how easy it is for everyone to get access.

You could entirely outlaw gun ownership in "America" and the crooks would still have them. That would only create a thriving black market in illegal guns. With the US open borders policy, even with strict gun laws, the criminals could still get full auto AK-47's in buckets!

And you can't compare Italy to the US. Italy is an entirely civilized country. The US is a mixture of pockets of civilization and pockets of third world Gang run pits of despair. You don't have MS-13 in Italy. And that's why there's no "conversation" in the US about gun ownership. The worse the crime gets, the less likely anyone is to propose serious gun control regulations because the fear factor escalates exponentially.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
a reply to: Kryties

I pointed out the only part that mattered: your obvious bias

No, you clearly cherry-picked a small part that you thought you could "showcase" and make me look bad, while ignoring the main part of the post which states provable facts which you are unable to counter.

Poor form.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

This mindset is the result of a full on political agenda. Come on, go do some research on the actual numbers as reported by the FBI. Murders committed with a firearm are still a very, very small percentage of how Americans off each other. Look deeper into what's going on with this country. It's WAY more complicated than any singular item, especially an inanimate object such as a firearm. And please, no one is handing out guns like candy.

Now, government handouts and all the unintended consequences of those programs ? Oh boy, that right there is start!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join