It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After TV Slaying, Reporter's Dad Finds Voice on Gun Control

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Very good reply and very close to where I sit on it. I hate the idea of some doctor or panel, judging the mental well-being of one when it comes to gun ownership.

On your second point, I would have to question, which crimes committed with the use of a gun are allowed to plea down from mandatory sentencing. I believe possessing a firearm, whether registered or not, should be no crime at all. Homicide/attempted, strong arm burglary, etc. should have WAY higher that 5-10 mandatory minimum. If your intent is to use a weapon, any weapon, that has a good likelihood of grave or even permanent injury, i would say we got to go a higher number than that.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

watching parts of a special on TV last night, yes agenda driven on the part of the crazy reporter. Since he changed so dramatically over just a few years is it possible he was used by psyops?

did not know about his sister, so that in and of its self would give cause for his actions.

his agenda or other, same difference.

i think more will surface in the months to come as the GUN laws take affect. THAT will be a huge mess. How to tell if someone is crazy or not? The people I would have at my back are all crazy, and the people I would not trust with a gun are not...
edit on pm831pmSat, 29 Aug 2015 14:00:02 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
I have the utmost sympathy for this man who has lost his daughter in this tragedy but he’s wasting his time.

If the GOP congress, gun freaks, WON'T DO ANYHTING AFTER KIDS ARE SLAUGHTERED, they won’t do anything over his daughter

Actually the 112th and 113th Congresses were both split, with democrats controlling the senate and republicans controlling the house. Neither party enjoyed significant ownership though, with only a handful of seats being the difference in the senate and about 20-25 being the difference in the house.

Point of fact, even democrats weren't voting for democrat sponsored bills in the senate in the wake of Sandy Hook.

But don't let a little thing like actual facts get in the way of your anti-gun and anti-conservative rhetoric.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

It does feel to me like we are going too fast on a train coming up on a violent bend. When it buckles there may be mass casualties.

I hope what you are witnessing in the gun debate is true and we keep getting further and further toward full ownership rights. I think it is a joke to have different groups, with different rights as to gun ownership.

I believe if you are convicted of a serious crime, the punishment should be SEVERE. Once you do your time, I believe you should have a clean slate. If you can't get with the program, I say you should rot in a cell.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

Please indulge me in some details. I did not see the TV special that was on last night.

What you say is my experience also. Crazy SOBs like my pops are unafraid. They know how to control their anger because they are not afraid in a given situation. But if something crosses the line, the hounds of hell will be released.

I see a bunch of the murders are by cowardly men. They either have to have their posse to give them their guts or the use a heap of metal to do their bidding. Mono a mono is above their pay grade.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

But killing yourself is basically by definition a indication of mental illness. 

If a special forces soldier surrounded by ISIS takes his own life rather than be tortured to death, he is mentally ill?

Who cares if he knows the difference between a machine gun or a AR-15, what a ridiculous point to get all wound up about! There both very deadly weapons that there is absolutely no legitimate use for in a civilized society.

I have no idea why you are addressing this part to me.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Homicide/attempted, strong arm burglary, etc. should have WAY higher that 5-10 mandatory minimum.

You have to very careful about mandatory sentencing.
Police and prosecutors are quick to charge every crime they can think of for a given event.
They go too far.
It seem that police get their advancement based on arrests.
Just watch TY videos. The police ask questions just looking for an arrest-able offense.

Barney Fife would be advanced to detective where as Andy Griffith would not.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: samkent

While it is true that the DA throws everything they can think of at the wall to see what sticks, I was talking about convictions. I think the police do a disservice to the public when they try to get every little petty citation/arrest they can. The DA being out of that loop is just as bad IMO. If they charge whatever they can to see what sticks, I think that is grounds for mistrial.

If I am an auto mechanic and I try to persuade a customer on services that they don't need, based on my expert diagnosis, my balls could be to wall. Civil servants should be held more accountable.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: harvestdog

Harvest dog my beef is not petty criminals nor hapless gun owners such as those caught in bureaucratic traps.

It's the folks who have committed serous felony crime with a firearm.

They rarely get convicted of the federal mandatory charges that have been on the books longer than I can remember.

These people commit the majority of violent gun related crime and need to be removed from society.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
If you are against guns, don't get one.

But don't tell me what I can and cannot do, what I can and cannot own. If it's not infringing on your rights, you have no right to infringe on mine.

Does an abortion infringe on your rights?

Why is it okay for Conservatives to infringe on Women's rights to decide what she does with her own body? But it's not okay to infringe on the 2nd amendment?

Seems a little hypocritical to me.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

But don't tell me what I can and cannot do, what I can and cannot own. If it's not infringing on your rights, you have no right to infringe on mine.

it infringes on the rights of the unborn human being.

Why is it okay for Conservatives to infringe on Women's rights to decide what she does with her own body? But it's not okay to infringe on the 2nd amendment?

Because it infringes on the rights of the unborn human being.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

If a special forces soldier surrounded by ISIS takes his own life rather than be tortured to death, he is mentally ill?

Oh sorry, I obviously should have elaborated that I was referring to people who aren't terminally ill or facing a painful & brutal end.

I have no idea why you are addressing this part to me.

It wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the thread in general. That's why I started the paragraph off the the word 'anyway', as in moving on now.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Oh sorry, I obviously should have elaborated that I was referring to people who aren't terminally ill or facing a painful & brutal end. 

This guy was not getting away at this point.
He chose to commit suicide rather than spent a painful life in prison or in a brutal shootout with police.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Amen to that. If convicted of serious felony with a gun, the book should be thrown at them and they shouldn't see the light of day for a long time. Longer than 5-10 years in my opinion. If the DA can't prove these charges against said person, the DA has a serious discernment problem. That should be criminal.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

The guy never made any attempt to conceal his identity well performing the act, at any stage. Even though he knew it was being filmed, which indicates that he had already planned to off himself.
edit on 29-8-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
And what exactly is suppose to be done?

If theres no criminal history, how do you expect to stop people like this?

If the person is non diagnosed, how do you expect to stop them?

This is just another agenda drum beating to stir up emotions and make people irrational, we even banned a damn flag because this is getting so ridiculous......

This country is headed for hell in a hand basket, all because common sense has flown the coop, and Political Correctness, emotion, and insanity rule the roost

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

But not on your rights?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

It's justification for pre-crime arrests.

It's justification for police-state.

It's justification for removal of freedoms, liberties.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

But not on your rights?

I don't understand.

So I shouldn't support gay marriage because I'm not gay?

I shouldn't support the rights of the unborn, because I'm not an unborn child?

I once was, so perhaps that qualifies me.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
To get back On Topic, shall we sidestep the Abortion issue and discuss another parent having a knee-jerk reaction and going public with it? The Anti-2nd folks jump over a lot of tragedies and use it as a wedge against gun rights.

I believe we can all agree that not every cop shoots someone in cold blood. MOST of the time it is self defense.

I believe the same is true of MOST gun owners in this country. Now matter what make, model, caliber, load capacity, these gun owners are being responsible in every way.

We have highly emotional, highly lacking in firearm education people, going on National TV to promote an agenda that is contrary to the heart of the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join