It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What needs to be done for faster than light travel?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
For FTL travel, yure going to need at least three things for your craft. 1, Force field(s) to keep what ever is out there from putting holes in your craft and self as you are traveling along at lightspeed. Also, to shield the craft from radiation, extreme gravitational pulls when you have arrived at your destination and other unknowns out there. 2, An anti-gravity generator, null or something to negate gravity. I believe that the heavier the craft is, the easier it will be to reverse the gravitational effect on its mass. Anyway, reversing gravity will be like putting two magnets with the same polarity against each other - they repel each other. Reverse the gravitational pull of the craft you are in and it will immediately fly away from the planet's gravitational pull. 3, A propulsion force to get the lighter than normal mass craft moving through space.

The craft, of course, will need life support, shielding, communications, etc.

I read in a sci-fi story years ago, about humans traveling FTL. The humans had to immerse themselves in a heavy, oxygenated silicone fluid in a clear tube as they went through FTL speeds. The piloting and other duties were taken care of by robots which they called automatons. Seems plausible to me...
edit on 30-12-2015 by NightFlight because: speallink

edit on 30-12-2015 by NightFlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Two questions. Whats a Lapwing in this context I always thought it was a bird.

Second. What if the intelligent life has no space faring ability? Is it still a death sentence? Or as long as you aren't seen (would it matter? What are they going to do about it?) and don't let them on board to infect you you're all good?

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

... a "feeler" extending beyond the drive volume just giving the computer enough advanced warning to calculate and react to changes?

That.

The real trick is how to get a low powered field to eclipse the main drive volume.

The big question is if you can have two discrete concentric fields, or do they absorb each other, prevent the inner one's formation, or turn you into borscht by #ing up the control equations for each other? Do they make the problem worse by influencing each other in a way, say, that the external field collapses like you want, but now that it's gone, the inner field abruptly changes control functions and the computer fails to control it properly and it's sledge-a-matic time.

Finally if they can work the bugs out of this concentric set up wouldn't that usher in a golden age of exploration?

It would eliminate a way to end up splattered. Many ways would remain. But one biggie would fall. It used to be a total crapshoot. Now it's less of one. One day it's going to be almost safe. And about 200 years later you'll get a sniff.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Two questions. Whats a Lapwing in this context I always thought it was a bird.

Pretending to be different/less capable than you really are, in order to deceive.

It is a bird...the bird in question, if it believes you to be a threat to its nest, will fly a distance away and pretend to be crippled. As you approach, it will 'recover' slightly and move away a bit farther, and again pretend to be crippled.

Second. What if the intelligent life has no space faring ability? Is it still a death sentence? Or as long as you aren't seen (would it matter? What are they going to do about it?) and don't let them on board to infect you you're all good?

How can you know? How do you spot the spacefaring capability? A wise older civilization may decide not to have anything in orbit, and decide not to emit EM, in case YOU are more capable than they are.

Let's say you run into a highly advanced civilization that is practicing deceit as the most energy-efficient form of defense. You see wasteland, or early industrial civilization, or a modest modern one. But what you actually have are weird pissed-off Organians or Talosians. Their degree of technical capability can't be assessed by a civilization at our stage. So they track you back home and it's all over but the shouting. Or they get onboard and infest you with nanobots of some sort. Or a tailored biologic.

The problem is that you can't easily distinguish a primitive intelligent civilization from an extremely advanced one, if they're practicing masking or lapwing.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Like when you pull out a plug from a wall outlet suddenly and the collapsing Mag field compresses the voltage and you get a huge surge that can short your Mach drive or my playstation 4 in this case?

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Like when you pull out a plug from a wall outlet suddenly and the collapsing Mag field compresses the voltage and you get a huge surge that can short your Mach drive or my playstation 4 in this case?

It's more of a control function math thing. It's not inherently stable. Sort of like a Cuk converter running over 50% duty cycle, on steroids, with tensors.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

That sounds like my MOA. I like these aliens! Also sounds like it might be our trick too. You would need to keep it away from the public so they don't go on advertising on accident to said space jerks that we can travel interstellar and show up at their door. But what about all of our radio broadcasts eventually thats going to tip off somebody as to exactly where we are and if hitlers the first thing they are going to likely see then that might make them go "hmmmm? Les create some phage and do away with these space monkeys. They seem crazy and who knows what they'll do if they show up here." The olde 'Do them before THEY do us.
edit on 30-12-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

It's more of a control function math thing. It's not inherently stable. Sort of like a Cuk converter running over 50% duty cycle, on steroids, with tensors.

So more like a Non-Isolated Cuk Converter? Running off the same core or field? But dealing with tensors. So a Tensor Cuk Converter of sorts? How does one dump unwanted feedback if it gets out of control? Convert it to photons or something and shed energy? The math must suck on all that. Poor computer.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

So more like a Non-Isolated Cuk Converter? The math must suck on all that. Poor computer.

Cuk's are fun until you get over a certain duty cycle, which is sometimes desirable.

But when you do, it puts poles and zeros in places in the control functions that make them inherently unstable. So you can't use a 'normal' sort of control. And even if you're stable some of the time, 'normal use' can put you into a pole, if things go wrong.

Other systems have funky abnormal inherently unstable control functions. Sometimes you can make that work ok. Sometimes not.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
What do you guys think of Lazar's description on how the craft travels? He says it pulls the space to itself, avoiding all collisions with debris. It also goes far faster than light. Sounds like a great way to avoid a lot of problems.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Navigation.
One has to have a map.

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

God that's like balancing on a razors edge. Again poor computer. Guess the Mach drives are stricktly "fly by wire'

posted on Dec, 30 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAmTheRumble
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I've looked into many of the alleged cases where someone has dealt with the technology of the disc. Part of the problem is some of their explanations for how it works are different. They also make different claims for how the "laws of physics" actually work. For example lazar states the warping of space is the method, where as others say there is complete mass cancelation, that allows for ftl travel.

I do believe Lazar, but it's hard to take other accounts seriously. Especially when Lazar uses relativity in his explanation. Which has been nearly proven, with how effective it is.

Someday I hope to see some secret craft flying through the air. I'm still young, I've got some time left to see one.

Good points

I believe both the warping of space and mass cancelling have to be happening for FTL travel, and probably other effects to do other jobs as well.
I forgot to mention this before, and agree that just one thing being required falls short.
Mass cancelling would achieve your need to move through space without resistances for FTL but you still need some force to move. The force to move would interfere with copper wiring, so fiber optics would solve that, just like what was reported in the Roswell wreckage. (The real wreckage that went to WP, not the weather balloon junk kept at Ramey's base in Texas).
The military had people working on this many decades ago. I know of one project that used a bunch of scientists and told them the problem had been cracked by America's enemy Russia at the time (in the '50's), but it actually hadn't. The scientists no longer believed it was impossible and so they approached it believing they could find the answers to anti gravity propulsion because someone already did it. This is a pretty innovative way to get a bunch of deadbeat can't do it scientists to get off their butts and solve the big problems..

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Think of this jump a wormhole cool if everything started with a big bright bang jumping the wormhole was pointless your still in the same light!

Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Is there some sort of theoretical (or hell, maybe empirical at this point) limit to how far you can move the goal posts? Could you make C approach/reach infinity? That would sorta be functionally equivalent to entanglement..

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tajlakz

Is there some sort of theoretical (or hell, maybe empirical at this point) limit to how far you can move the goal posts? Could you make C approach/reach infinity? That would sorta be functionally equivalent to entanglement..

The harder you push it, the worse the control functions are. Plus, think of it as a ski boat. Once you plane out, you can go faster since so little of the boat's connected to the water. But hit a wave, and you're in midair. Or the boat flips. If you lose your connection to the water, you're in your own little pocket universe. Maybe.

That's part of the issue, you wave 'bye' and they never show up again. As there's no FTL communication other than firing up the tub and coming home, you never know what happened. Did it kill the crew? Are they sailing the metric sea in a bubble like Hendrick van der Decken? Did they meet someone and decide it was a great time to pull the plug rather than let their new friends find where home is? It is a mystery. An expensive one.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Tajlakz

I don't see why the permittivity and permeability of vacuum can't become infinitesimal, but then I don't know how it works either lol. But the computer already can't keep up with it, so I can't believe they're too worried about making it go faster lol.

Bedlam, just write some hard sci-fi please. I'll buy all of your books, maybe even twice!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: IAmTheRumble

I've often wondered this exact same thing... One theory I came up with would be using a light source to power the speed of the craft. Some kind of energy that would thrust the craft as fast as the beam of light could push it. Once light speed is reached, which should be rather brief, there could be a thruster that could add more boost to the speed you've already attained.

As you travel through space, there is no friction to stop you so after speed is reached, I figure that a booster should be able to propel your speed even more. You would need a craft capable of taking damage from space junk and rocks at that speed too.

So, there's my basic idea.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: framedragged

Yeah Seriously I'd read it. The Planet Dirt Chronicles. Wonder if Bedlam would honor us by autographing ATS members copies? Id Put it right next to my Hugh Shelton Personally Autographed Auto Biography. And the Paul Tibbits one, and the Ben Rich one. Right next to them, Id put the Planet Dirt Chronicles.

Bedlam,
Question how far out you think we've ventured. Ie ...Planet Dirt is roughly how many LYs

Also, What are we doing about the Radio Broadcasts we've put out there so far since WW2 that will one day intercepted by Sentient Space Folks. If they see hitler going all crazy ape, and decide "Ehhh lets get rid of these nut jobs before they get loose" What are we doing to prepare for that. Seems like whats the point of Avoiding space aliens if we are already acting like a beacon in the night lighting up our own home world's location.

edit on 31-12-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: IAmTheRumble

Isn't it crazy how far we've advanced since 1905, yet we still can't take Einstein's theories and use them to our advantage and add more to what he came up with as far as time travel and light speed fast machines?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join