It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hunting trophies : its not new - so why the sudden manufactured outrage ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I know what triggers anger and strong reactions in the majority of humans.

It's called psychology.

And the media use it well.

"Genuine and long held" ? Emotions triggered by strong visuals. Let's revisit this in a couple of years shall we?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

You refer to "reading" in the media and "seeing" on social media....

Yet you have not been affected by the media?

What's going on ATS?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Manufactured outrage? Ex-bleeping-scuse me, he who's handle really fits in this instance, but it's not manufactured for me at all. I find people who practice catch & release fishing to be bottom-barrel knuckle-draggers as much as I do a knuckle-dragger who kills a land animal just to kill it. Are you going to eat it? That's fine, eat the critter if you must. But don't kill it or inflict pain & suffering just so you can have a snazzy effing picture to plaster on your Fakebook page & a mounted head to hang to expect people to fawn over. Sport hunting is NOT HUNTING. It's satisfying the psychopathic thrill-seeking dark corner of what they call their soul that desires pain, death & awe from inflicting them.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

What point are you trying to make? You think the outrage over Cecil is media manufactured lol

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Let's revisit this in a couple of years shall we?

More than happy to , my opinions / feelings will still remain the same.

And the Slaughter goes on , no hope for Whales

Some of us do care and are concerned about the plight of our wildlife , for you to just blanket accuse everyone of being weak minded and influenced by the media is insulting and wrong.
You shouldn't judge everybody by your own standard.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   

The media needs clicks and hits.

The way to do this is pick a story which fires up strong emotions. People then talk - words and emotions spread and clicks and hits go through the roof.

Trophy hunting has been going on for years - yet only now that the media has pushed it into the lime light are you people getting on your high horses about it.

The term moral panic has been widely adopted both by the mass media and in
everyday usage to refer to the exaggerated social reaction caused by the activities of
particular groups and/or individuals.
Such activities are invariably seen (at the time
at least) as major social concerns and the media led reaction magnifies and widens
the ‘panic’ surrounding them.

Moral Panics

Keep reading those headlines and reacting like they want you to. There's a whole other world going on around you but just keep letting the media feed you with your motivation to get angry.... It's what they want.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   

You need to read that link I posted above.

It's not about being weak minded. It's about influencing minds.

Just because you have been influenced doesn't make you weak.

And unfortunately (or fortunately depends on your approach) all human minds work in very similar ways. You're not as individual and unique as you'd like to think.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Sort of related to what you just said...
If everyone thinks they're unique, but I think I'm not unique, does that actually make me unique?

On topic:
I was leaning towards the view that Palmer was not criminally liable for this, regardless of the moral reprehensibility. But then it comes out that it isn't the first time he's made an illegal kill. So, yeah, feed him to Mufasa.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   

You're not as individual and unique as you'd like to think.

And you are not as right as you'd like think.
My beliefs come from within myself , I have always been this way , the media informs me of the happenings in the world and I form my own conclusions.
I am and have been for a number of years a member of a couple of wildlife protection organisations including the Avaaz organisation , I have petitioned governments on their animal welfare standards off my own back.

I choose to make the effort to enact change and try to secure the future for our endangered species , you sit behind your keyboard and mock those like myself who care , think as you will it makes no difference to me.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   

You're defensive... I'm not mocking you. I'm highlighting a psychological tool used by the media which the populace fall foul of regularly. The difference with some ATS members? They think they're special enough not to be affected by the media. That their thoughts are unique and are born from nowhere in their brain. That their emotions aren't influenced by the media.

This thread and other moral panic threads are an example that they are affected.

Keep up your efforts protecting wildlife. I'm not disparaging that at all. It's enviable and much needed.

When it comes to knowing about the psychological effects of the media - I am right.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   

If minds have been influenced by this then good , it has brought an existing problem to the public attention.

The media didn't invent this story they're reporting what happened , it's for the public to decide how they react to it , as seen in this and other threads the reaction is not uniform so are the people who are concerned about it being influenced and the people who don't care not influenced by the media ? , or is it more likely that people are different and view the world differently , issues that matter to me don't matter to everyone and vice versa.

Psychology isn't hard and fast , it's hardly even science.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   

The media doesn't just report on stories though does it? It purposely gives it a slant and uses images to trigger certain responses which ultimately give their business an advantage by influencing your actions.

The media didn't invent this story...

Sorry you can't see this.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Here's a link to the the original OP article on the killing of the Lion , it seems balanced and factual to me but perhaps you could point out the slant in the story.
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Well that's where you are very very wrong. Sure it is in the media at the moment, that's how the World works, things happen that pushes issues to the fore, it is a bonus of having a free press and the true reason for having them. I would put money on it this story has ZERO to do with clicks and selling papers, this is real the journalists want this scum collared and the practice stopped. I think you will find most of us have been outraged by trophy hunting for years! Most sane, educated and civilised people are and have always been against it. You must live in a bubble if your only now aware people don't like this practice.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

You're honestly under the belief that this Guardian article is a factual and balanced report not designed to fire emotions?

Without even going into detail about the Guardian's typical readership and what they want to hear..... Just have a look at the emotive words and phrases used over again to get you fired up:

Famous Lion
Star attraction
Killer
Killed
Skinned
Headless
Angry
Threats
Rich man spends $45k to kill
Link to other pictures
Multiple pictures in the article

Man alive, from your signature and previous threads I expected so much more from you.
edit on 31-7-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Man alive, from your signature and previous threads I expected so much more from you.

My position is consistent with my beliefs , the words you've selected hardly show a bias they just reflect the story being reported.
As I said above you are free to believe as you will but in this case you are barking up the wrong tree if you see some kind of conspiracy or effort to form opinion , the story is what it is.

Palmer did the wrong thing and the public reaction is a reaction to that not to some agenda you may believe is being cooked up by the media.

If I don't meet your expectations that's because we don't agree on this issue , I'm happy with my position because it is the correct one for me to take , I'm true to myself not the expectations of others.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Emotive language is being used because of the strong feelings about this, how are you finding this so hard to grasp?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Fair enough.

Keep reading your ballanced reports and keep making up your own minds all on your own.

edit on 31-7-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo

Emotive language is being used because of the strong feelings about this, how are you finding this so hard to grasp?

Emotive language doesn't give a balanced report.
If the report was unbiased strong feelings wouldn't be involved.

How are you finding that so hard to grasp?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Well in this case it wasn't just any lion but a tagged and protected lion on a sanctuary. He didn't just kill a random lion, he killed a very well know lion.

It was lured off the sanctuary, hunted and killed.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join