It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austin City Council Votes To Ban BBQ Restaurants

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
AND, when you think about it, KC BBQ is considered better. BBQ WARS!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: beezzer

I never said no more BBQ.

I love BBQ, but I am also able to try to see the other side of the argument against the smoke in large daily quantities.

You know what makes Texas style BBQ taste the way it does? SMOKE in large daily quantities. There is no way around that.

There are at least three major regional variants of BBQ, each distinguished by either their sauce or their smoke. Texas is a dry variant distinguished by smoke and rub over sauce.
edit on 29-7-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I actually prefer Texas style.

KC depends on the sauce, its signature, and I'm not a big sauce fan. If I can't be perfectly happy eating the meat without any sauce, then it's not good Q, and Texas-style makes that an art.

Still, it is hard to beat a plate of Kansas City Joe's burnt ends.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
As a property owner, could I have large vats of cabbage cooking in my yard with industrial sized fans blowing the smell of sick people's gassy farts over to the BBQ restaurants while their patrons are eating? Just wonderin'

Only if you are Korean.

The best kind.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I love BBQ, but I am also able to try to see the other side of the argument against the smoke in large daily quantities.

You know what makes Texas style BBQ taste the way it does? SMOKE in large daily quantities. There is no way around that.

There are at least three major regional variants of BBQ, each distinguished by either their sauce or their smoke. Texas is a dry variant distinguished by smoke and rub over sauce.

That's not the point.

The point is BREATHING in the smoke.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I actually prefer Texas style.

KC depends on the sauce, its signature, and I'm not a big sauce fan. If I can't be perfectly happy eating the meat without any sauce, then it's not good Q, and Texas-style makes that an art.

Still, it is hard to beat a plate of Kansas City Joe's burnt ends.

Agreed. I prefer BBQ that I can eat with no sauce. Period.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Austin is one of the few cities I have seen where the business leaders don't really get to have much say in how things work. Of the several business owners I know that live in Austin, they all just shake their head every time the City Council does something new.

There are 3 bbq places that define the Austin food scene. And then there are the food trucks, which again define the Austin food scene. There is no way a roach coach would be able to afford $100k in new equipment.

Its kind of a shame, really.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

That's not the point.

The point is BREATHING in the smoke.

While i can't tell what your point here is without reading back a little more, I figure Ill throw this in:

If you have lots of visible smoke while you are bbqing, something is going very wrong. In grilling it means you have a flare up and will have charred chunks of burnt meat. In bbqing, it means you are burning the oils/creosote/pitch/tar in the wood. The meat will have a chemical flavor.

Early in the morning, when you first fire up your pit, you will have smoke. That is all the bark and pitch burning away, and its over in about an hour. After that, you just have small amounts of smoke released while the embers slowly burn through the wood. You aren't really breathing anything in. Especially considering the ridiculous Austin traffic...you just aren't breathing in any smoke.

This has more to do with smell, and/or the misguided "feels" you get from hugging trees and loving the Earth.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
After that, you just have small amounts of smoke released while the embers slowly burn through the wood. You aren't really breathing anything in. Especially considering the ridiculous Austin traffic...you just aren't breathing in any smoke.

Exactly.

This has more to do with smell, and/or the misguided "feels" you get from hugging trees and loving the Earth.

I don't see it that way. I see bored mid level executives taking out their angst on their environment.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well Austin can send some of its food scene up here.

I can use some of those food trucks. KC has some but not nearly enough.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Well Austin can send some of its food scene up here.

I can use some of those food trucks. KC has some but not nearly enough.

The food truck thing is just part of the Austin "weird" thing. Small, entrepreneurial, marching to their own drum, artistic....its like an embodiment of what makes Austin the city it is.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence
I just don't want to live in your world I guess.
If this is the future then the future sucks.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Before long the EPA will be able to tell you what you can and can't do with rain puddles in your yard.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
There was no BAN or threat to ban. Yet another way the media lures you into their threads, making you believe the worst has taken place.

Not sure why this is coming up only now. This was originally done back in April. It was PULLED and did NOT pass. For some reason it's being rehashed.

Info

Did Austin’s city council really ban BBQ and BBQ smoke? No.

The city council did give preliminary approval to an ordinance but strong opposition prompted the council member who proposed the change to the city code pulled it from the meeting agenda. The measure will not move forward unless it is refiled by a council member.

This was an issue for restaurants and trucks in RESIDENTUAL areas.

Council member Pio Renteria asked council to amend city code and regulate the amount of smoke that comes from food trucks and restaurants within 100 feet of residential areas.

If your home was smothered by smoke from these places, you would complain too. Sure, it would be great during times you were hungry, and maybe at first, but day in day out and all day long? Me thinks not!

Good find,and on the first page even!

And dudes and dudettes, BBQ 'round the clock really ain't all that great. Smells good to me for all of 5 minutes and then it becomes a gross wafting overkill on the breeze. We have someone in the neighborhood here that likes to spend several days BBQing & running a smoker. It. gets. NAUSEATING. Even my BBQ snarfing, grilled bacon master husband gets fed up with it after awhile. There comes a point when one's "yummy food smell" becomes another person's strong dislike with enough inundation. Kind of like smelling donuts all day, or fast food fries. It grates after a while.

The snow & cold weather ain't the only reason I'm looking forward to winter. Hurry up, dammit.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Yeah, but I find that my nose gets deadened to constant smells like that one would be.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
nvm not worth it

edit on 7/29/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinalCountdown
a reply to: Liquesence
I just don't want to live in your world I guess.
If this is the future then the future sucks.

For a man with a trump avatar, I don't want to live in your world either.

Whatever post(s) of mind to which you're referring.

And what world is that? The one where I have no say or recourse over an offensive or potentially hazard odor (whatever the human-created source) when it invaded my property and offends my senses?

I *like* the smell of BBQ smoke, but that's not the point. The point is people NOT liking it and having to endure it.

edit on 29-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I wonder what BBQ'd lion smells like?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Funny, I've smoked quite a bit of things, and I've been around smoking meat quite a bit and I have seen a LOT of smoke happening. I've seen large scale smoking by restaurants with a ton of smoke wafting from the smoker, as well.

It's the heat/smoke that smokes/helps cooks the meat, and with larger chunks of meats more time/smoke/wood is needed.

Maybe I'm just living in bizarro world, though.

I'll give you pollution versus meat smoke, but

the misguided "feels" you get from hugging trees and loving the Earth

Is something you'll have to explain.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Yeah, but I find that my nose gets deadened to constant smells like that one would be.

Mine doesn't deaden to scents that easily, unless they're already very light to begin with.
I've dealt with nasty migraines most of my life. Imagine having that going on, with the infamous highly sensitive migraine nose and smelling someone's heavy backyard smoker or BBQ pit stink. It makes that food seem totally not worth it even well afterward. This is essentially the food version of when certain aromatic perfumes or colognes become the migraine enemy and become turn-offs afterward, not that much different.

To be honest,I have about as much sympathy for smelly cookers as I do people who marinate themselves in their perfume/cologne. Which is not much.

Quick edit: This is not to say I'm against grilling and such, I'm not. Can't really grill for ish myself, but I'll eat what hubby grills. My entire point here was to illustrate that just because you think something is the bee's knees of smells doesn't mean it translates across all noses.
edit on 7/29/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join