It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austin City Council Votes To Ban BBQ Restaurants

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: johnwick
I just don't get it, I lived by a BBQ place once, it didn't bother me a bit, it just made my grilling experience more of a competition as I tried to make mine smell better.

I lived OVER one for almost 2 years. Same building. No issue. Except I put on about 30 pounds.

Nobody could fault you for that, you are human after all.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I wonder what BBQ'd lion smells like?

i don't know that answer but it tastes like chicken, or so I have heard.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Well...we run restaurants, and in every single one of them we smoke all our stuff in the kitchen, indoors. Ribs, brisket, fresh smoked pork belly (aka, bacon). All done indoors. When we make the chorizo, or the onion jam, the smell fills the building. The bbq...not so much. Granted, we have some ventilation in place. But where our huge ventahoods are, if a grill has a flare up itll make enough smoke to momentarily overwhelm the ventahood. The bbq never seems to.

RE: the last comment....the squeaky wheels get greased. 90% of the population usually doesn't care about any particular measure, even the most contentious. Its the most passionate who actually care, and drag the rest of us along.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Not surprising at all coming from the little blue bubble of Texas. I wonder if they're gonna go after the taco stands on every corner next. Doubt it.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Not surprising people just look at the title and assume it must be true.

There was no ban, there was never going to be a ban.

The proposed regulations were also tabled after objection to them.

So the dirty liberals listened didn't push it forward.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I live near enough to a bbq joint to occasionally smell the aroma! Heavenly.
We're out in the country with no zoning but I never see smoke from their cookhouse. As BigFatFurry said, if that is happening, something is seriously wrong.
For those comparing paper mills to smokehouses----well, that's a chuckle and hyperbole if ever I've seen it typed out. I lived every summer in a town with a paper mill just outside the city limits. There is absolutely no comparison. A paper mill is an industry, a bbq joint is a business, completely different zoning regulations.
Where were these complain' folk when the bbq businesses were applying to set up shop? Does the city council/planning commission not have public hearings on such matters? Even our small town has such hearings and believe me, crowds of people from the neighborhood show up if they believe the business will affect their property adversely. That's how civilized people conduct society---not running sniveling to the authorities after the business is established and they object to the smells.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

I wonder if the people complaining were Muslim? It wouldn't be the first time such complaints were heard. Remember that place the guy did pig races or something of the sort, and they moved in and started complaining?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

when you live in a town with a cereal manufacturer....that is some nice aroma. Toasting corn (or whatever they are making).

I live in the oil and gas area. So it smells a lot like hydrocarbons (i.e., fart) as the primary scent of industry.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

You lied in your post. Obama is omnipresent hes the cause for everything wrong in all places at all times.

Thanks for admitting that you were wrong.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
They should contain the byproduct of their business, or move to a location where no one else is affected.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Wow. I love BBQ but talk about overreacting.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
More than likely what happened was this bbq joint applied to move in, the home owners were all excited and approved it thinking easy bbq, now they got tired of it and whined. If the zoning wouldn't have been approved, wouldn't have been an issue, but whiney people always try to make up for past mistakes by complaining and shifting the blame.

Been to Texas several times, never met a bbq I didn't like down there.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Bone75

Not surprising people just look at the title and assume it must be true.

There was no ban, there was never going to be a ban.

The proposed regulations were also tabled after objection to them.

So the dirty liberals listened didn't push it forward.

The fact that it was even considered is asinine. Anyway, the proverbial foot is in the door.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I still think they should relocate the citizens that object to bbq smoke filling up their living room.
Seems fair since the majority benefit from the sweet and tangy taste of bbq'ed meat and all.
Ya'll.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join