It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Cincinnati Officer Ray Tensing Indicted For Murder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

He was very, very good.

He spoke about them having upgraded (one, I think) of the charges from involuntary to voluntary manslaughter right at the end of the live conference. I missed the beginning.
edit on 7/29/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

I don't know the area and know nothing of the campus, but I don't recall ever seeing rent-a-cops with guns. Maybe tasers, but not loaded guns. And as you said, this was off campus, so how was this even something a campus cop would think was in his purview? All rhetorical, no need to answer. Just sad that lives have been ruined for no apparently good reason.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Did you see the video? It was murder...

Seems that there is more in Tensing's past that says he should've never been a cop to begin with. That was my feeling when they released comments from his performance reviews. There is a reason why he was working at UC and not in a traditional PD. That'll probably not come out until the trial though.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
Kudos to Deters for playing this SO close to the vest. No matter the threats and lawsuits filed by the media, he handled this like a pro.

I hope this guy gets a bit more into the political scene. Even if he was a liberal, I think I would like to hear what he has to say.

He reminds me of Biden, but with a brain, and without all the guffaws.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

No, as I said, I missed the first part of the presser.

Campus cops here are cops like any other. I was assuming it was the same in Ohio.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
So if he is tried and found guilty, this should set legal precedent right?

We should quickly see the arrests of other officers out there with recent videos of them shooting an unarmed man in the head or body, killing them.

Right?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Some cops actually prefer to work the Uni PD rather than traditional PD. Depending on the Uni, it could be a much more laid back atmosphere with little confrontation. I'd known at least one cop who said he preferred working as a Uni PD cop.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

We should quickly see the arrests of other officers out there with recent videos of them shooting an unarmed man in the head or body, killing them.

Right?
No.

It would all depend on the circumstances before the shooting, the actions of the suspect, etc.
If an officer is in reasonable fear of his life, using his service weapon in defense of that life is permitted even if the suspect is unarmed.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Crap if I had known they were showing it I would've tried to find the press conference somewhere. I just searched and couldn't find anything with the video itself. Hopefully it gets posted soon.

Thanks for the info

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I don't know the area and know nothing of the campus, but I don't recall ever seeing rent-a-cops with guns. Maybe tasers, but not loaded guns. And as you said, this was off campus, so how was this even something a campus cop would think was in his purview? All rhetorical, no need to answer. Just sad that lives have been ruined for no apparently good reason.

Apparently, UC's security are actually sworn officers. Their cars say University of Cincinnati Police on them...But I ALWAYS thought they were more like security guards given the proximity to District 4. UC is actually in District 4:

Cincinnati PD District 4 Info

Here's a photo I uploaded a week or so ago of where he was shot (the red pin) and you can see it is not near the campus:

UC's campus is north of Calhoun (Calhoun St., MLK, Vine Street and Clifton Ave. surround the campus). There are restaurants and bars and off campus apartments, but anything south of McMillian is REALLY pushing their boundaries. I believe that the CPD chief and Joe Deters felt the same way (and UC President Santo Ono as well) since they immediately stopped patrolling "around campus." There hasn't been a clear "line" of where they were allowed to patrol and stop individuals, and where they weren't allowed to conduct such business. Clearly, this area is more than a mile from UC's property and from what I hear it was NOT an area that UC's PD frequently patrolled.

Tensing was acting as if he was a Cincinnati Police Department employee, stopping Dubose for what Joe Deters called a "chicken crap violation" way off campus. Just that thought gives me the creeps. I wonder if there are other citizens who have had a run in with Tensing and if we will be hearing from them anytime soon?

I've said it before and I will say it again: I wouldn't have stopped, at all, for a UC "cop" that far from campus (and neither would anyone I know)!

edit on 29-7-2015 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Press conference

The video stops before the bodycam footage is shown. However, I saw a thumbnail of the cam footage as was watching the press conference, and from what the prosecutor says, the man was shot for trying to pull off, whereupon the cop lied saying his arm was caught in the car and he had to shoot him. Once. In the Head.

Prosecutor. "It was a chickencrap stop."
"He never should have been an officer."
edit on 29-7-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Uh...no. Because there are circumstances when an officer is completely justified in shooting an unarmed person, whether the general public likes it or not.

Hopefully the precedent it sets is shaping the way controversial shootings are handled, and changes the way district attorneys deal with said shootings.

This DA seems like he's pretty on point with things and isn't pulling his punches in any way.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Some cops actually prefer to work the Uni PD rather than traditional PD. Depending on the Uni, it could be a much more laid back atmosphere with little confrontation. I'd known at least one cop who said he preferred working as a Uni PD cop.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure campus cops are just as much cops as regular cops. They can arrest you and put you in jail just like any other cop right? And the charges will stick..

link   

Most 4-year colleges have sworn officers as their University Police.

Additionally, I believe (I could be wrong) they are permitted to perform traffic stops outside of the campus.

link   
11:30 AM UPDATE -- Joe Deters now says the video will be released today, July 29.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

Right?

Well, if their prosecutors have the balls Joe Deters obviously has, that is. Deters isn't one to worry about politics or the media, etc. Never has been. He has been the prosecutor in Cincinnati for a long time, and a great one at that. He's been reelected many times and has never shied away from a fight (for lack of a better word).

Tensing attempted to manipulate the situation, which is clear if you read his statement. Once the video was shown one of the media asked about this and Tensing's claims that he was "dragged" and had a "scuffle" with Dubose which CLEARLY did not happen. I heard he fell when he discharged his weapon and that is how his uniform was torn and he suffered his "injuries" that he was seen in the ED for...Which is what happened. He wasn't drug, he fell when he blew Dubose's head off for no reason.

That's murder, folks. It may not be premeditated, but there is obviously something in Tensing's past, which hasn't been revealed yet, otherwise Deters would never have said he should "never have been a cop anywhere."
edit on 29-7-2015 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I know yall saw that right... during the live conference..??

Dubose's mom was about to comment on the numerous shootings involving cops and unarmed black men, because a reporter asked her about the community marching together to invoke change..... and MSNBC "LOST" the news feed.

I'm sure thats just a coincidence...

and the feed came back 45 seconds later, with Mrs. Dubose off the stage.

Can't make this stuff up!!!
edit on 1113x6711America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago7 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: Shamrock6

Press conference

The video stops before the bodycam footage is shown. However, I saw a thumbnail of the cam footage as was watching the press conference, and from what the prosecutor says, the man was shot for trying to pull off, whereupon the cop lied saying his arm was caught in the car and he had to shoot him. Once. In the Head.

Prosecutor. "It was a chickencrap stop."
"He never should have been an officer."

I saw the video (during the press conference, which I linked in the OP). It was a recording of the projector screen in the prosecutors office but it was clear to me that he killed the guy for no reason.

The alcohol is clearly not opened, either. I believe Tensing asked what it was and Dubose handed it to him...Which didn't happen the way Tensing reported. He made it sound like he asked for his license and Dubose handed him the bottle of alcohol, to make it seem Tensing was impaired. Even if he was, he didn't deserve to be killed like that.

It was a BS stop. Especially by a UC "cop" way off campus! The fact this POS stopped him for that and then ultimately killed him infuriates me...

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
I know yall saw that right... during the live conference..??

Dubose's mom was about to comment on the numerous shootings involving cops and unarmed black men, because a reporter asked her about the community marching together to invoke change..... and MSNBC "LOST" the news feed.

I'm sure thats just a coincidence...

and the feed came back 45 seconds later, with Mrs. Dubose off the stage.

Can't make this stuff up!!!

Gotta steer clear of the national news on this...They'll spin it to their agenda.

Here's a link to the Fox affiliate Fox 19 who is still reporting live on the situation: Cincinnati Fox 19

Dubose's sister is on TV now.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Most 4-year colleges have sworn officers as their University Police.

Additionally, I believe (I could be wrong) they are permitted to perform traffic stops outside of the campus.

Most four year universities aren't smack dab in the middle of a city like UC is...

They may be permitted to make stops "off campus" but this was WAY off campus.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join