It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Cecil" the Lion Hunted and Killed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: HumanPLC
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Shooting an animal with a crossbow and subjecting it to 40 hours of excruciating pain while you track it is not species control.

Knee Jerk reactions = ignorance

look another knee jerk reaction..........

If it was a high powered rifle youd call it not a fair fight....

Now hes using a crossbow and its monstrous......

People like you are never satisfied and will always cry foul, its pointless

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The dude who "allegedly" shot him is getting hammered, threatened, and more on Twitter.

CecilTheLion

Unbelievable. What the hell is wrong with some humans?

U.S. hunter to be charged with poaching in death of beloved lion in Zimbabwe
edit on 7/28/2015 by ~Lucidity because: fixed link

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

At least a high powered rifle would be quick , a crossbow bolt not so , and yeah it is monstrous.
Of course that money goes the right causes , or perhaps some slush fund.

I'm anti hunting for sport so don't bother with the knee jerk reaction call.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Who is this cecil?

I never heard of him..

Would I go out and hunt them (big game) like that?
No.

Should this guy be prevented from doing so?
No

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

You just nailed on another big issue... AFRICA IS AS CORUPT AS FLESH EATING BACTERIA lol. This is a big problem, the official who sanctioned this Cecil hunt mighta just done it to pocket $50,000 and this hunter figured it was a good justly researched kill.

In truth Africa is totally EFFed and the only things that survive do so because they have value. Take the $$ away from these animals and someone will strip mine the habitat lookin for gold... $$ rules africa

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

You do realize that these hunts donate the animal to local tribes correct?

You also do realize when they do these hunts that the animals are picked to protect the integrity of the "herds" and or "prides" right?

You do realize that they arrange the hunts to maintain optimal population to keep the species strong righ?

Knee Jerk reactions = ignorance

No I did not know that they donated to the local tribes. So thank you for bringing that to my attention however....
If they had picked Cecil for him to kill then why are they so upset about this?

I am assuming it is because this guy was NOT supposed to kill this particular and beautiful lion.

Thanks.
edit on 7/28/2015 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

If they had picked Cecil for him to kill then why are they so upset about this?

Thanks.

Yeah that plus it was illegal poaching. They lured him out of a protected area. Apparently they're arresting or have arrested the poacher he paid.

U.S. hunter to be charged with poaching in death of beloved lion in Zimbabwe

edit on 7/28/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

People like you

Ohh come on, dont start with all that, were both adults here!

Now hes using a crossbow and its monstrous

Are you seriously trying to say that you condone an animal suffering for 40 hours?

People like you are never satisfied and will always cry foul, its pointless

Its not pointless at all... I happen to believe that Lions and the tribes that you say eat them got along pretty well by themselves before we turned up with our guns and started interfering.

As the OP title states, lets debate. Im sure you can easily justify the killing and prolonged tourture of an innocent animal.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: HumanPLC

No one is condoning 40 hours of suffering that's not what happens every time you shoot something with a crossbow. That's what happens when you take a bad shot.

And actually il go look up the article but there's an area of Africa that had decided to exterminate all lions out of safety for themselves because people were getting eaten on a weekly basis but conservationist set it up so the lions live where they do, get hunted and protected, and the people live where they do, that's conservation. Most people in Africa would rather not have lions at all if you asked them.
edit on 28-7-2015 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

Right but that IS what happened in this particular case which is what is being discussed.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Its what happened here though

@NerdGoddess I gave you a star for thinking the same as me at exactly the same time (post above), lol.

edit on 28/7/15 by HumanPLC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
All im going to say is trophy hunters are deficient in head and heart. If anyone thinks wounding the animal with a crossbow and thinking no big deal it suffers for 40 hrs is also deficient.
Cheers.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Jericho would of most likely killed a few of Cecil's Cubs anyway.... And Jericho wouldn't of had any Cubs...... Now he will.... It's not a wash... Jerichos line gets to spread on now he's the young healthy male.

what would have likely happened is that Jericho might have killed one or two or tried to, Cecil might tried to kill him, but you know as well as i they very rarely fight to the death in the pride only to submission. Cecil's would have whooped Jericho ass and run him off to the bush where he starts his own pride or brcomes a nomad.
the only time they kill in the pride is to rid them selves of a blood line when the old male dies or is run off by a younger one, and then it's just cubs

then as time went own Cecil's cub's grow up and challenge him, same thing happens.

here is a little education from a wiki just cause it's fast, if you want you can find other sources that say the same.

Lions are the most socially inclined of all wild felids, most of which remain quite solitary in nature. The lion is a predatory carnivore with two types of social organization. Some lions are residents, living in groups of related lionesses, their mates, and offspring. Such a group is called a pride.[63] Females form the stable social unit in a pride and do not tolerate outside females.[64] Membership only changes with the births and deaths of lionesses,[65] although some females do leave and become nomadic.[66] Although extremely large prides, consisting of up to 30 individuals, have been observed, the average pride consists of five or six females, their cubs of both sexes, and one or two males (known as a coalition if more than one) who mate with the adult females. The number of adult males in a coalition is usually two but may increase to as many as four before decreasing again over time.[66] The sole exception to this pattern is the Tsavo lion pride which always has just one adult male.[67] Male cubs are excluded from their maternal pride when they reach maturity at around 2–3 years of age.[66] The second organizational behaviour is labeled nomads, who range widely and move about sporadically, either singularly or in pairs.[63] Pairs are more frequent among related males who have been excluded from their birth pride. Note that a lion may switch lifestyles; nomads may become residents and vice versa. Males, as a rule, live at least some portion of their lives as nomads, and some are never able to join another pride. A female who becomes a nomad has much greater difficulty joining a new pride, as the females in a pride are related, and they reject most attempts by an unrelated female to join their family group.

the only time lions fight to the death is when the pride is threatened by another nomadic lion, and even then if the nomad runs they leave it alone.

so knowing this i still say the count is more than likely 7

like i said peddle that sh@@ elsewhere
edit on 28-7-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I mean if these people truly cared about the conservations and the animals, they would just GIVE them the money. Or pay to SEE the beautiful animals or interact with them as best they could.....

But they aren't. They are interested in paying to kill the animals, for show and tell, under the guise of "I'm saving the savannah"

Gross. Gross. Gross.

I still stand by my opinion that this is a disgusting and foul act.

edit on 7/28/2015 by NerdGoddess because: Stupid Auto Correct Is Stupid

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Exactly and you and all the other "save the whale" fruits generalize and say all kinds of ridiculous things about hunting and killing and murder blah blah blah.

So this guy took a bad shot, that's his only wrong doing so far. If he knew what was going with the luring out of the protected area then he was wrong there too but I'd be willing to bet someone took advantage of him and took his money for an ez lion kill they knew about.

Look at your first post in this thread ;

This is so selfish With the technology we have today, Trophy Hunting is not only unnecessary, but destroying species.

He didn't NEED Cecil's skin for clothes.

He didn't NEED Cecil's muscles and organs for food.

He didn't NEED to kill Cecil.

He threw away Fifty Thousand Dollars...... To kill a beautiful creature.

To me that is sick, and a sign of a mental illness. That is just my opinion.

I am disgusted.

-Alee ;

All this talk of "need" and mental illness ..... That's not what hunting is.

In this case the only thing this guy is guilty of, so far, is taking a bad shot with his bow.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

At least a high powered rifle would be quick , a crossbow bolt not so , and yeah it is monstrous.
Of course that money goes the right causes , or perhaps some slush fund.

I'm anti hunting for sport so don't bother with the knee jerk reaction call.

Yes lets forget that the meat feeds hungry people in the area and helps maintain a good breeding population...

Again facts do not reign supreme eh?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Where exactly would Jericho of found a pride with a dominant male around? He would of been kicked out to become a nomadic male and have to fight another male for his pride somewhere else or he would of sat back not making Cubs til Cecil dies and then fights for the loosed females.

I'm not disagreeing that Cecil probably shouldn't of been killed being able to breed so well still and someone should be prosecuted for that but not this hunter, I'd be willing to be he was under the impression that it was all on the up and up.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Exactly and you and all the other "save the whale" fruits generalize and say all kinds of ridiculous things about hunting and killing and murder blah blah blah.

Save the whale fruits? That was awfully rude of you. Offensive actually. Immature and Juvenile at best. Resorting to name calling now are we? Just because I have a different opinion? Lovely.

So this guy took a bad shot, that's his only wrong doing so far. If he knew what was going with the luring out of the protected area then he was wrong there too but I'd be willing to bet someone took advantage of him and took his money for an ez lion kill they knew about.

I'm not just talking about him. Everyone who was involved. Someone knew that what they were doing was wrong. I have not called for this mans death, or attacked him. I think it is sick that he paid to kill the Lion.

Look at your first post in this thread ;

This is so selfish With the technology we have today, Trophy Hunting is not only unnecessary, but destroying species.

He didn't NEED Cecil's skin for clothes.

He didn't NEED Cecil's muscles and organs for food.

He didn't NEED to kill Cecil.

He threw away Fifty Thousand Dollars...... To kill a beautiful creature.

To me that is sick, and a sign of a mental illness. That is just my opinion.

I am disgusted.

-Alee ;

All this talk of "need" and mental illness ..... That's not what hunting is.

In this case the only thing this guy is guilty of, so far, is taking a bad shot with his bow.

That is purely your opinion which clearly differs from mine.

-Alee
edit on 7/28/2015 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
I mean if these people truly cared about the conservations and the animals, they would just GIVE them the money. Or pay to SEE the beautiful animals or interact with them as best they could.....

But they aren't. They are interested in paying to kill the animals, for show and tell, under the guise of "I'm saving the savannah"

Gross. Gross. Gross.

I still stand by my opinion that this is a disgusting and foul act.

.........both parties get what they want, hungry people get fed, and populations continue to improve.......

Your reaction is visceral and emotional and not at all grounded in common sense......

Thats the problem with society now days

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Yes lets forget that the meat feeds hungry people in the area and helps maintain a good breeding population...

You obviously missed the part where I said I'm ANTI HUNTING FOR SPORT.
I am not anti hunting for food , this guy and others like him do it for fun , not to eat , not to wear the skin.
You kill the lion you eat the lion.

The lion is a vulnerable species, having seen a major population decline in its African range of 30–50% per two decades during the second half of the 20th century. Lion populations are untenable outside designated reserves and national parks.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 28-7-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join