It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Cecil" the Lion Hunted and Killed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
This story bothers me, as a species why do we allow this sport killing, not to eat, but for the pure thrill of the kill.

Cecil The Lion

I know there are much worse things happening to humans in the world all the time but
the morality of this, is very questionable, debate away.
edit on 28-7-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This type of sport killing is allowed because the rich get what they want. You don't see an average man doing this nonsense.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
O boy... Lots of nuances in this one. Gimme a bit and il write my whole response to this but please everyone don't go all "poor Cecil" just yet. This is a bummer sitatuion but like I said nuances. Brb

+17 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

This is so selfish With the technology we have today, Trophy Hunting is not only unnecessary, but destroying species.

He didn't NEED Cecil's skin for clothes.

He didn't NEED Cecil's muscles and organs for food.

He didn't NEED to kill Cecil.

He threw away Fifty Thousand Dollars...... To kill a beautiful creature.

To me that is sick, and a sign of a mental illness. That is just my opinion.

I am disgusted.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It's a disgusting sport done by disgusting people. Not much more to say about it really. Especially in this case that the lion was wandering around in pain after being shot by an arrow for 40hours.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Man, oh man…

The hunter first shot at Cecil with a bow and arrow but failed to kill the lion. “They tracked him down and found him 40 hours later when they shot him with a gun,” Rodrigues said.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
got no problem hunting to put food on the table if you actually have to supplement your food stuffs that way. other wise go to the grocery store and buy you a steak, it proablly tastes much better. but even at that you don't know if the animal was treated right.

but killing animals just to be killing them that's just horsesh@@, and to call it a sport that's even more ludicrous. if you want a sport, teach them how to fire a weapon and then run around in the bush on equal grounds, that would be a sport.

plus those that bait a field, or use lures to bring them to a blind, or putting on male or female scent to bring them up, hide in the trees above them down wind, case them with dogs,trucks, helicopters or any of the other tricks used, what a bunch of pansies.

get out there and stalk, doing all that other stuff does not pit you against the animal, that just shows what a no good lousy sneaky pete bastard you are.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Guy isn't a hunter he's a self absorbed prick...

He needs a beating .

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
First off, nothing is certain, when I speak on things I'm speaking on the way it works out the majority of the time. Sure there's bad people that poach and hunt for bad reasons and those are bad people, that minority isn't who I'm speaking on.

Ok let's start with the sport hunting vs meat hunting.

Not always but a vast majority of the time these "sport" hunting events take place in areas of Africa that preserve the animals ONLY FOR HUNTING. The $$$ value of the animal being hunted has driven many animals back from the brink of extinction. None of this "save the whales" nonsense. If it's worth money for dentists to come from Minnesota to shoot a lion, you better believe there will ALWAYS be lions to shoot, how's that for conservation.

The meat

Many times during these sport hunts the meat is all eaten by a local tribe. The trophy hunter takes his trophy and pays hansomly for it and the meat gets put to use by people who need it, no one is wasting a pile of food in Africa that's for sure.

Culling older males

Usually it's a local guide who lives nearby who's picked out the older males past breeding age to be culled. In the example of the black rhino recently that was killed, the older unable to breed male had just recently killed a male that was in breeding prime and because of that a large area of black rhinos is now in major danger, if someone would of culled the orny old bastard sooner, black rhinos would be much better off.

Magical forest faries

Conservation is a very mature and adult topic of discussion. There's many hard truths we need to remember. FIRST OFF, these animals don't live forever if we don't hunt them. They die a terrible terrible animal death most of the time. Eaten alive by coyotes butthole first doesn't sound like fun and that's a very very common death for many mammals in North America. Freezing to death slowly because they aren't strong enough to make it sounds like fun too huh? A good clean hunter kill is over in seconds. A clean arrow kill is over before the animal even knows its hurt.

$$$$ is good for animals.

This dentist and all his moneyz.... Not my favorite kind of people, I know a guy personally who's paid millions all over the world to hunt everything you can imagine and I have ZERO respect for him. He wouldn't last 1 day hunting with me crawling through the swamps looking for them deer that have never seen a person.... No his idea of hunting is catered breakfast and guides carrying your gun for you... Do I fight against him? Nope, his millions have gone to improve the environment 1000 fold more then anything I could of ever done, as long as he's making good kills and not being a bane on the environment I'm thankful for him and every other richy rich hunter.

Just "not killing" these animals won't save them, biologists and conservationists working with millions and millions in funds from hunting licenses will!

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

A spokesman for Palmer told the Guardian that the hunter was “obviously quite upset over everything”.

Quite upset that he's in the news.

“As far as I understand, Walter believes that he might have shot that lion that has been referred to as Cecil,” the spokesman said. “What he’ll tell you is that he had the proper legal permits and he had hired several professional guides, so he’s not denying that he may be the person who shot this lion. He is a big-game hunter; he hunts the world over.”

Meaning he's some jackass who pays people tens of thousands of dollars to participate in glorified turkey shoots. I'm all for killing for food or even something like population control but this doesn't even qualify as sport; there's no chance of failure.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Trophy hunting is actually what's saving species. Who do you think pays for conservation efforts?

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Mine as well.

"The thrill"...

Of killing...

People need to double down on that proverb and truly understand how sick a person has to be to be "thrilled" by killing.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I know there are much worse things happening to humans in the world all the time but
the morality of this, is very questionable, debate away.

The things happening to humans are mostly caused by other humans , I have no sympathy for us.

I hope he becomes a "trophy" in some Lions stomach real soon.

edit on 28-7-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

It's been suggested many many times and I back it whole heartedly that taking a bad shot should be punishable by law. I get the argument that it's really really hard to prove but in my opinion archery tags shouldn't be given out without a very thorough testing of skills. Archery is the most common "bad shot" form of hunting that is just from lazy people.

If you wanna see what some one who trains all the time and usually drops his targets in a matter of seconds with a bow, Cameron Hanes is the man. He's a bit goofy but damn he's very optimistic and just a plain ole good person. He's very careful and researched about where he takes his kills and he's one to very much look up to. He bear hunts from the ground with his bow to really be a part of it all, no hiding behind guides and tree stands for cam.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

If the Lion had a rifle then i'd consider it a sport. This is just slaughter.

I have not killed an animal that has not tried to kill me first-I'll let a spider live when most people will squish em, and I'll let a snake live if it is not a threat.

These trophy hunters are-forgive my french-@$$holes. They use guns against unarmed animals then wax lyrical about their 'big catch' like it's some kind of heroic endeavor. I have three word for these @$$holes-charity boxing match. Let me at them.

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

Trophy hunting is actually what's saving species. Who do you think pays for conservation efforts?

really,

from the op,

Conservation authorities said they were also dealing with the likely consequences of Cecil’s death for his six cubs. “The saddest part of all is that now that Cecil is dead, the next lion in the hierarchy, Jericho, will most likely kill all Cecil’s cubs so that he can insert his own bloodline into the females.”

so now that 7, Cecil and his six male cubs that will most likely be killed by the more mature male lion that takes his place in the pride.
chances are of those six, 1 to three would have grown up and left and started prides of their own.

go peddle your horsedh@@ some where else.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

This is so selfish With the technology we have today, Trophy Hunting is not only unnecessary, but destroying species.

He didn't NEED Cecil's skin for clothes.

He didn't NEED Cecil's muscles and organs for food.

He didn't NEED to kill Cecil.

He threw away Fifty Thousand Dollars...... To kill a beautiful creature.

I am disgusted.

-Alee

You do realize that these hunts donate the animal to local tribes correct?

You also do realize when they do these hunts that the animals are picked to protect the integrity of the "herds" and or "prides" right?

You do realize that they arrange the hunts to maintain optimal population to keep the species strong righ?

Knee Jerk reactions = ignorance

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Small penises, both of em!

w@nkers too!

RIP Big Man!

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Shooting an animal with a crossbow and subjecting it to 40 hours of excruciating pain while you track it is not species control.

Knee Jerk reactions = ignorance

edit on 28/7/15 by HumanPLC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Jericho would of most likely killed a few of Cecil's Cubs anyway.... And Jericho wouldn't of had any Cubs...... Now he will.... It's not a wash... Jerichos line gets to spread on now he's the young healthy male.

In Cecil's case it should of been much more closely monitored how big his pride was, it does indeed sound like in this case it might be a conservation mistake and an investigation should take place. Proper lion etiquette is to take them when they have many females and few Cubs but they are still able to beat up the other males. That's the most ideal situation. As long as there is a young male to replace the old male tho, it's not a total loss, within a year those Cubs will be reborn.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join