It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abruptly Warming Climate Triggered Megabeast Revolutions - Evidence against man made climate change

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I was reading this very interesting article regarding animals groups that went extinct only to be replaced with other, genetically distinct lineages of the same species. Through their research they determined that these extinction/replacement events corresponded to sudden bursts of warming called Dansgaard-Oescher (D-O) events.

What interested me was the following paragraphs:

To find out, the team used ancient DNA to discover cases of turnover that are hard to observe from fossils alone. They then carbon-dated the bones of the ingoing and outgoing animals to work out when these turnovers happened. Finally, they plotted these dates against an accurate record of North Atlantic climate over the past 60,000 years, gleaned from Greenland ice and Venzeuelan sediments.

Most of the replacement events lined up with sudden bursts of warming called Dansgaard-Oeschger (D-O) events, which happened a lot between 12,000 and 60,000 years ago. In each one, average temperatures abruptly rose by anywhere from 4 to 16 degrees Celsius in just a few decades, before gradually falling again over several millennia. If you plot the temperatures on a graph, you see a distinctive sawtooth pattern—sharp upward spikes of warming and then gentle downward slopes of cooling. “They’re the most abrupt changes in climate that you got in the Pleistocene—those transitions from cold to warm,” says Cooper.

Abruptly Warming Climate Triggered Megabeast Revolutions

I was under the impression that the warming of the climate today was "unprecedented". This certainly looks like a precedent.
edit on 24-7-2015 by BomSquad because: Forgot to include the link to the original article.

edit on 24-7-2015 by BomSquad because: spelling/grammar

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Good find and what my NASA meteorologist friend tells me.

That warming and cooling happen in cycles
and man does not cause or contribute
enough in the atmosphere to change the
cycles.

Mankind is just arrogant
and self-centered
enough to think they can cause it

We are in the "the universe revolves around the earth"
cycle of science when it comes
to climate change cycles.

edit on 10Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:37:04 -0500am72407amk245 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Mankind is just arrogant
and self-centered
enough to think they can cause it

Well, if there's one thing that we as a species are famous for, it's being self-centred and arrogant.

It's been mankind vs. nature for millennia and nothing is going to change that overnight... not even climate change.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Not only is mankind arrogant and self-centered enough to think they can cause it, they are arrogant and self-centered enough to think they can prevent it.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for mankind cleaning up it's act and stop polluting all over the place (land, sea, air, all of it), but we need to be realistic as well. We cannot bankrupt our society with draconian pollution controls implemented all at once. We didn't get to where we are today, overnight. We took over a century and a half of industrialization to get where we are today. We shouldn't be surprised if it takes us at least that long to get our act together in a reasonable, measured and sustainable pace. Make it financially attractive (not punitive) and people will line up to recycle, reuse and throw away less.

Look at Henry Ford as an example. He took a waste product from his car manufacturing business and turned it into a profitable commodity that many of us use today. He took wasted wood chips, shavings and dust and started a business making Kingsford charcoal. Win-win. No more waste wood to dispose of, instead, profitable product to sell.

We need more innovation like that.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

It has also been suggested that the early earth had an oxygen rich atmosphere that allowed for creatures such as dragonflies with a foot long wingspan and 'plants' species such as prototaxites.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Climate Change, does any one else feel that this has become a religion, Only the high priest of CC can save us, we must worship the CC god and do the bidding of its priests. Any one who does not believe is destroying the world.
Thats all the world needs, another mad religion

edit on 24-7-2015 by imod02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
Climate Change, does any one else feel that this has become a religion, Only the high priest of CC can save us, we must worship the CC god and do the bidding of its priests. Any one who does not believe is destroying the world.
Thats all the world needs, another mad religion

That pretty much sums up my take on the subject.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

It's an interesting article, but is there a reason it's in this forum? I would have thought Fragile Earth is where AGW thread usually go.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Mostly because I don't post much. My bad. I picked the wrong forum....

Is it possible to get a thread moved to the correct forum?
edit on 24-7-2015 by BomSquad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I'll alert a mod. I didn't want to mess with it if you had a reason for doing it.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

No good reason for it, I definitely agree that Fragile Earth is a more appropriate forum...

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Its obviously not evidence that human activities do not also cause climate change (at least I hope it is obvious!). And regional changes of several degrees do not necessarily mean that global temps rose by the same amount.

However, I agree that it raises questions about any given regional change in temp being described as "unprecedented". Though I think in most cases when that term is used its media/commentator hyperbole rather than something investigating scientists have specifically claimed (though there may be exceptions).

It is also worth noting that we do not have instrumental measurements of any temp change during D/O events and can only use other methods to calculate what we think the changes were.

Of course, some arrogant humans will use anything to "prove" that humans are not responsible for anything. But thats religion for you ....

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
How is this evidence against Climate Change? Because you think you've discovered a tenuous link to it that may disprove it through certain reasoning?

Why do you deniers always have to do these roundabout measures to try disprove climate change? Can't you just look at the data itself and see if it is flawed? Nah, it's easier to create strawmans out of other sciences to prove your point...

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

I have an open mind on the whole climate change debate. The only thing I am leery of is all these reports that it could ONLY be man made. I don't believe that at all. It is quite possible that man's activities can be a contributing factor, but to chock up the whole thing to man's actions seems a little much.

There ARE other possible explanations. These Dansgaard-Oescher (D-O) events do seem like an awfully close match to the recent observed behavior of the climate, and there was no industrial revolution 12,000 to 60,000 years ago (according to accepted history).

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

No one says that climate change is SOLELY caused by man. Scientists freely acknowledge that natural causes go into the climate. They are just more concerned with the ADDITIONAL causes that we are supplying to the climate that is causing it to behave outside of its normal cycle.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well the data has already been manipulated sooooo pretty pointless to waste more time than I already have going through those biased abstracts.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
How is this evidence against Climate Change? Because you think you've discovered a tenuous link to it that may disprove it through certain reasoning?

Why do you deniers always have to do these roundabout measures to try disprove climate change? Can't you just look at the data itself and see if it is flawed? Nah, it's easier to create strawmans out of other sciences to prove your point...

You mistake my pointing out evidence with me drawing a conclusion. I have drawn no conclusions, I am only pointing out the evidence.

Attacking me as "you deniers" is unproductive. How about the site's motto, Deny Ignorance?

I point out some possible information that runs counter to current reporting on climate change, that is all.
Also, what "strawmans" am I creating from other sciences?

They were researching the DNA of large exitnct animals which were replaced by other animals of the same species but of different genetic lineage. In an effort to discover the how and why this could have happened, they then researched the climate records of the same era and discovered a possible correlation with climate change, specifically the 5 to 16 degree climate warming in the course of a few decades.
edit on 24-7-2015 by BomSquad because: one of these days I'll spell everything right the first time....

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad
a reply to: AndyMayhew

I have an open mind on the whole climate change debate. The only thing I am leery of is all these reports that it could ONLY be man made. I don't believe that at all.

I dont think any climate scientists think that either. Its a straw man created by the deniers. All natural factors continue to affect the climate as they always have done. Human activity simply adds a new factor. But it is one we are responsible for, and if it is affecting the climate in a way which is adverse to modern human society ......

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danke

Well the data has already been manipulated sooooo pretty pointless to waste more time than I already have going through those biased abstracts.

You know this how?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Danke

You know this how?

He read it on the internet .....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join