It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confederate flags filmed being stolen, destroyed in new social media challenge

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

The confederate flag incites violence and dehumanization.

That appears to happen to only certain people. It has never incited either in myself.

by certain you mean "black" people. And, I agree.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Three people does not a trend make. Don't you guys ever get sick of looking like fools?

3? Sorry, here's a listing from 2 days that I'm sure is incomplete:

Monunents defaced:
One of the defaced monuments was the Confederate Memorial in St. Louis' Forest Park, 10 miles from Ferguson. The

same graffiti was reported on memorials in Charleston; Baltimore; Austin, Texas; Asheville, North Carolina;

Richmond, Virginia, Durham NC, Winston-Salem NC, Dallas TX, Spokane WA, Seattle WA,

That's 11.
Looks more like a trend to me.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

It may have been my great-great grandfather that shots yours at Gettysburg.
Maybe Lincoln shouldn't have invaded the South.
Yes, that Confederate flag is about hate -
Hatred of abuse of authority, hatred of treachery and dishonesty, hatred of those who would violate their peace and well-being.
The Confederacy were just as much Americans as the North.
They simply would not tolerate paying 75% of the operating revenues of a Federal government that worked against their interests.

By the way, my great great grandpa didn't own any slaves,
95% of the men fighting for the South didn't own slaves either.
The Confederate battle flag was given meaning by the soldiers who fought under it.
Take your divisive and absolutist ranting somewhere else.
Brown University for instance welcomes such opinions as yours where they teach the North is pure and wonderful and the South is wicked and racist.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I think it is kinda funny to watch some people argue about a symbol in terms of 'these are the facts.'

Symbols were never repository for facts. The currency they store and dispense, is not that of facts. If it were, they'd never be a controversial symbol.

A symbol holds emotional and personal meaning. I watched the pagan community fight over getting a pentagram put on a grave by a government that decided it was about the fear and disrespect that Hollywood's movies had deposited on it. I saw the community cry when a soldier's family was finally granted the right to be buried with the symbol he wanted on his grave.

I see good Christian organizations use the cross to show charity, and white supremacists burn it to show a willingness to terrorize and control.

Ok, there's been 2 families now that have had guns pulled on them for display of the flag. One of Chesterfield and one in Austell, GA.

I don't know if we'll ever solve the problem of racism or the problem of people trying to tell other people how to think and feel. All that is coming from a place of power over and that will not solve any problems, only be counterproductive. I
I sure do hope we can solve the problem though of people not having equal protection under the law, and respect for others' private property - certainly including one's right to be safe in their home and body.
Mutual respect and fair application of the law is the right path.
If all groups could work on that together we'd get something done. I don't think TPTB really want that though.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

I find the rainbow flag offensive but because I'm a white male I have no opinion. If I do express my feelings and beliefs I would be labeled a bigot homophobic racist. Makes me ashamed to be veteran.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: hadriana

I wish it were funny but I find nothing humorous about this effort to denigrate an entire generation of Americans based on geography which is exactly what this is. Should the current view prevail every American from now on will carry that same ignorant, biased and hateful opinion of Southerners and the Confederacy.
!50 years of revisionist teaching has made a serious impression on many including people from the South who should know better but want to appear hip and progressive and I can foresee the Confederacy being treated with the same contempt as Nazi Germany, in fact the comparison is often made even now.
Confederates were Americans who seceded to preserve Constitutional government.
It was not revolution nor was it treason, they weren't trying to change the North or the Federal government one iota.
They had thrown up their hands in disgust and simply walked away.
That is what they are being attacked for even today.

edit on 17-7-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Well, the Constitution of the U.S. did say 'United States' which means, literally, united states in one union. This was an armed rebellion to break apart that union, pretty much right down the middle. I'm not for taking down the conf. battle flag if someone wants to fly it on private property, but the Mississippi flag is going a bit overboard and the recent removals from state house grounds seems appropriate. But to attack private property, stupid and dangerous for the people doing it, as well as illegal.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Golga13

I find the rainbow flag offensive but because I'm a white male I have no opinion. If I do express my feelings and beliefs I would be labeled a bigot homophobic racist. Makes me ashamed to be veteran.

Well you are what you are but you dont have to be a racist nor do you have to be a bigot, my skin is white as snow that doesnt mean I am a racist, or I must be a racist. I am not gay doenst mean I find the rainbow flag offencive. I am not interested at all in gay male on male sex(females im ok with that actually is a turn on) doesnt mean I will discrimininate against gay people or seek to treat them any differently than anyone else.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Yeah 3. Maybe a couple more since I made that post... considering the topic is the #noflaggingchallenge and not defacing the confederate trash littering public grounds.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
Well, the Constitution of the U.S. did say 'United States' which means, literally, united states in one union. This was an armed rebellion to break apart that union, pretty much right down the middle. I'm not for taking down the conf. battle flag if someone wants to fly it on private property, but the Mississippi flag is going a bit overboard and the recent removals from state house grounds seems appropriate. But to attack private property, stupid and dangerous for the people doing it, as well as illegal.

Yes very much illegal, just like toilet-papering or egging someones house, its not something you should start murdering teens over, if anyone does murder someone reguardless of if they were toilet-papering, egging, or ripping down a confederate flag they should be sent to prison foreveva and eva. Because they are murderous scum and dont belong in a civilized society with civilized people, they are murderous savages. But yes you shouldnt go into peoples yards and take anything, nor should you egg peoples homes, nor should you toilet paper them period. If the cops catch you your going to jail, or juvinile hall for at least a day or two. . . . .

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

i don't think you understand the meaning of the word "murder".

Killing a tresspasser/thief is not murder.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Ha reply to: FormOfTheLord

How civil are the ones stealing. I guess it's ok to break the law now.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

i don't think you understand the meaning of the word "murder".

Killing a tresspasser/thief is not murder.

It surley murder is if they arent thretening you.

But murder away go ahead, just dont think its anything else than that nor will the people see it in any other manner unless its a swayed jury, and believe me it will be a long drown out on TV spectacle NAACP battle in court.oh yeah and Al Sharpton will be there too, so will MSNBC. Anyways good luck to those who shoot those who loot. Not saying you will but someone will eventually and to them I look foward to seeing you on the news.

edit on 17-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Do you know what the Castle Doctrine is?

A few years ago a Houston man shot a kid in the back as he tried to flee the property....when you have no reason to be on someones property late at night, you won't likely get much flak from the law in Texas (and many other states)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

No one is saying that but you, what I am saying is if you provoke people expect a response.
edit on 17-7-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

No one is saying that but you, what I am saying is if you provoke people expext a response.

Now you're getting it!

If you come onto someones property to steal their belongings (provoke), expect a reponse (to be shot)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This is theft. Black, white, brown, purple or yellow....You're getting shot if that happens on my land and racism won't be involved. Just a bullet in your head.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

No one is saying that but you, what I am saying is if you provoke people expext a response.

Now you're getting it!

If you come onto someones property to steal their belongings (provoke), expect a reponse (to be shot)

Ah the media will be all over it with Al Sharpton and MSNBC, be ready for a media storm. Also there will be some new laws we all wont approve of, just so ya know. . . . .

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Yeah 3. Maybe a couple more since I made that post... considering the topic is the #noflaggingchallenge and not defacing the confederate trash littering public grounds.

If by Confederate "trash" do you mean men like Robert E Lee, Nathan Bedford Forrest and Jefferson Davis? Those men were patriots, honorable and not deserving of such snide remarks. Their courage and commitment stand as testament to what men can achieve under difficult circumstances. Those men were great Americans in every sense of the word.

It's easy to sit here in our modern world and pass moral judgment on people from long ago but since your on the bandwagon you may as well put George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and US Grant on your list along with every Asian and Middle Eastern figure of historical note going back to the beginnings of civilization.

Are you going to call every Pharaoh, most African tribes and Arab Nations "trash" as well? How about Jesus? Israel had plenty of slaves. It would only be fair given your standard of slavery being accepted in their particular culture at the time. FTR Saudi Arabia didn't outlaw slavery until 1962 - a full century after the Civil War.

People cannot control the time and place of their birth. Had you been born in that society and time your views would no doubt be very similar to the very people you seem to take such delight in mocking. Empathy works for understanding history as well. Not all life is as cut and dry/good and evil as some would like to think it is.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

You are right. The media will be all over it. Al too if he gets paid. Sad that someone will have to die before something's done. Hurry up and ban the flag. That'll fix everything.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join