It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cheap noms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I got something cooking right now. it's healthy, it's cheap, and I think only some will appreciate the taste. with that caution here's the scoop:

cupa brown rice
liter or two of water

to a boil, let it simmer a bit you just wanna get the rice fluffed out and cooked
I watch it, periodically drop the temp as the water leaves, and halfway through dump some cinnamon and curry spices in it

when there's just a cup or so of water left, i drop in some nutty butter. last time was almond, this time is peanuts.

drop the temp and let it thicken.

that's really it. it was pouring and I was lazy, had next to nothin in the kitchen, this is what came out. i expected it to be horrible, turned out not so bad. going at it for the third time in 10 days.

maybe $.80c meal with about 800 calories.

i feel good from it, like seriously seems to drop my cortisol and blood pressure.. like i'm mildly sedated yet clear headed within a half hour or so.

not my fav, but my newest super cheap, healthy meal.
edit on 24-6-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

My rice is cooked up using two parts cold water, one part rice, Goya Sazon and Adobo and a lump of butter. Bring to a boil (covered) then simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from heat, never lifting the cover. Let stand for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve.
Rice is cheap and filling. I have a pot in the fridge almost always, waiting to reheat.
edit on b000000302015-06-24T20:25:29-05:0008America/ChicagoWed, 24 Jun 2015 20:25:29 -0500800000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Summer lunch salad:

Buy a head of romaine and some red leaf lettuce or butter lettuce (or some other green that gives you a nice contrast to the Romaine). Each about $2.

Buy radishes, chayote, cucumber, carrot, celery. Most right around $1/lb or bag.

Get the things for simple homemade vinaigrette (3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar/acid, then add flavorings).

Chop the greens and store in a large bag. Chop the veggies and store in another container.

You have enough to make a good sized salad for lunch each week. The vinaigrette will also cover you if you use about 1c total vinegar and oil not counting flavorings.

Hard boil an egg. Add some cheese shreds or crumbles of choice, maybe some sunflower seeds, and you have a hearty and cheap lunch that's pretty healthy and mostly veggies.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Yogurt and flax seed for females. Bob's Red Mill Golden Organic. Grind them up and put a nice heaping spoonful in there.

Yogurt and chia seeds for male. You could grind them as well, but they also turn gelatinous when left in a liquid.

That is itself could provide you with a few hours of solid energy, not to mention improving your skin's elasticity and complexion.

I would suggest Liberte or Wallaby Organic yogurt which should both be found at your local Stop & Shop or Walmart.

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I Definitely need.to do this

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The perfect rice, quick and easy, every time...I was.taught this by my Aunt, God rest her.soul, when i was about 15. She spent 10 years in Honolulu and learned it from a native Hawaiian there...works everytime!

1) Think about how much rice you will need, no measurement needed, i always wash mine until it's clear, makes it not so sticky.

2) with the washed rice, smooth evenly so the top is fairly even

3) using cold water, put your middle finger on the every top of the surface of the rice so it barely touches the rice.

4) pour the cold water in SLOWLY until the water comes up to your first knuckle crease of your middle finger, then STOP pouring.

5) bring to a boil, immediately turn the heat down to low/ 2 and cover, do NOT remove the lid

6) cook for 30 mins

edit on 24-6-2015 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Brown rice is exceptionally for keeping your blood surgar low because has less starch....from what i remember..

edit on 24-6-2015 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
I got something cooking right now. it's healthy, it's cheap, and I think only some will appreciate the taste. with that caution here's the scoop:

cupa brown rice
liter or two of water

to a boil, let it simmer a bit you just wanna get the rice fluffed out and cooked
I watch it, periodically drop the temp as the water leaves, and halfway through dump some cinnamon and curry spices in it

when there's just a cup or so of water left, i drop in some nutty butter. last time was almond, this time is peanuts.

drop the temp and let it thicken.

that's really it. it was pouring and I was lazy, had next to nothin in the kitchen, this is what came out. i expected it to be horrible, turned out not so bad. going at it for the third time in 10 days.

maybe $.80c meal with about 800 calories.

i feel good from it, like seriously seems to drop my cortisol and blood pressure.. like i'm mildly sedated yet clear headed within a half hour or so.

not my fav, but my newest super cheap, healthy meal.

This is actually quite popular here in the Philippines. Instead of normal rice though, they use a sticky variety and then add roasted and crushed peanuts to mix in with the sticky rice. Of course sugar too, it seems like everyone is addicted to it here.

After it's made, then it is divided up into portions and wrapped in a banana leaf to carry/preserve/sell etc.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
1/4lb ground beef, shape into a party and fry in a pan. Remove and set aside. Add sliced onion to pan, cook over medium until soft. Toast a small bun, add burger and onion and a slice of cheese. About $2.00
May not be healthy but it makes a great lunch or dinner. Americans eat about 270lbs of meat a year each. More than any other nation on earth.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Philippines

Speaking of banana, I get the feeling that might mix well into it. I'm gonna add one next time.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
1/4lb ground beef, shape into a party and fry in a pan. Remove and set aside. Add sliced onion to pan, cook over medium until soft. Toast a small bun, add burger and onion and a slice of cheese. About $2.00
May not be healthy but it makes a great lunch or dinner. Americans eat about 270lbs of meat a year each. More than any other nation on earth.

We do eat more meat than any other nation on Earth.
But Luxembourg and Hong Kong eat more meat per capita.
I like meat, but I don't think I eat 270 lbs a year.
I only had a small can of sardines yesterday.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

With a name like butcherguy you only ate sardines yesterday. That's it...from now on you're cannedfishguy not butcherguy. What about today? More fish? I had left over spaghetti with shrimp for lunch and chicken for dinner .

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

With a name like butcherguy you only ate sardines yesterday. That's it...from now on you're cannedfishguy not butcherguy. What about today? More fish? I had left over spaghetti with shrimp for lunch and chicken for dinner .

I ate a chicken thigh for dinner.
My freezer has deer, pork and tile fish in it though. I did not kill the pig, I must admit to killing the deer and tile fish. Our last trip for tile we got 78 of them between 6 of us. My kids love it.
My favorite canned fish is kippered herring.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

My freezer has chicken pork beef and fish but i didn't kill any of it. If I'm eating any canned fish other than white albacore it's smoked oysters. I love them. I live on the Atlantic coast and we eat fish every week.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657
I do enjoy the smoked oysters too. Most of the time, I can only find them packed in cottonseed oil, so I drain them really well before I eat them.

new topics

top topics

join