It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First school in nation to offer LGBT Studies Course --- why?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: queenofswords

"First school in nation to offer LGBT Studies Course --- why?"

To educate kids on the ignorance that the gay community had to put up with from their parents and grandparents? I mean it goes beyond watching Milk.

A whole course of study, uh? Ridiculous. A couple of days of that "discussion" in a health class would be way more than enough.

Yes. People that would like to sweep these people and their rights away would like it to be done as quickly as possible, if not avoid it altogether. Equality but only if it's the equality that one prefers. That's not impressive.

Not avoid....Keep behind closed doors if that is their lifestyle...Much, much different that sweeping their rights away!

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

So would you say it's OK to teach about heterosexual relationships in a health class, but not homosexual relationships?

link   
It's a history/sociology course with a very current dialogue in modern society. So why not?

I had a choice in Ancient Rome, Church history, Aboriginal studies, American history, European migrant history, Industrialism, Politics history, , womens history, Fashion history, Rock music history, Asian studies, etc I don't get your complaint.

Are you suggesting LGBT don't exist in san Francisco so why bother looking at their history and the socio implications of their shared experience?

link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I'm not sending my kid there! They might turn out LGBT! *sarcarsm*

So what if they did? They're still a human being, my child and I would love them anyway.

Exactly. Were my niece, who is the closest thing I'll ever have to a daughter, to tell me that she was a lesbian later today, it wouldn't change my love for her a whit. Or tomorrow. Unconditional, ever-lasting. To the death and beyond.
edit on 6/23/2015 by seagull because: Fixing my fractured English...

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

So would you say it's OK to teach about heterosexual relationships in a health class, but not homosexual relationships?

NO!

How many times do I have to repeat myself???

What you choose to do in your relationship is yours and yours only! Behind closed doors....The choices and decisions you make in your sexual life are yours to make, yours alone! Nobody needs to teach kids which way is right or wrong...Let them make up their own mind, everything will fall into place...But you don't need a class teaching kids because they will think it is okay, straight or LGBT classes! Let them feel out their own destiny and choose their own path and live their life...Behind their own closed doors with their relationship
edit on 6/23/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

originally posted by: queenofswords

"First school in nation to offer LGBT Studies Course --- why?"

To educate kids on the ignorance that the gay community had to put up with from their parents and grandparents? I mean it goes beyond watching Milk.

A whole course of study, uh? Ridiculous. A couple of days of that "discussion" in a health class would be way more than enough.

Yes. People that would like to sweep these people and their rights away would like it to be done as quickly as possible, if not avoid it altogether. Equality but only if it's the equality that one prefers. That's not impressive.

Not avoid....Keep behind closed doors if that is their lifestyle...Much, much different that sweeping their rights away!

But you don't know about them unless you TALK about them. But marginalizing their access to educating you are taking away the only avenue to gaining equality. Seems like that's what some want. This IS the 21st century, you know?

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Why would anyones sex life in your family be of any concern to you, it wouldn't. Unconditional love is the closest humans can get to the 'god' experience.

nice words seagull

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Unfortunately I do know this is the 21st century.....Unfortunately....

I never learned about it in school yet I know and knew exactly what LGBT people where doing...I knew exactly what it was/is and the details behind it without ever having a class on it while I was in school....How did I ever manage to make it through school without a LBGT class??

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I wouldn't care. I would love my child regardless of whatever lifestyle they picked for themselves. I'm pretty much an atheist so I'm not worried about them going to some nonsensical pit of fire for "eternity".

As I said, no human being on Earth has the moral authority to decide if someone can or can't be LGBT.

These people are here to stay, they aren't going anywhere, and have been with us since time immemorial.

"I don't like them and I won't accept them! So there!"

That attitude reminds me of a toddler that doesn't want to eat their vegetables.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
A highschool in San Francisco? Where almost 1/3 self identify? They probably are already hip to what GLBTQ means. The time would be better served with a pre-calculus class.
edit on 23-6-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

edit on 23-6-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: intrepid

Unfortunately I do know this is the 21st century.....Unfortunately....

I never learned about it in school yet I know and knew exactly what LGBT people where doing...I knew exactly what it was/is and the details behind it without ever having a class on it while I was in school....How did I ever manage to make it through school without a LBGT class??

Well this type of ignorance is going the way of the Dodo. Kicking and screaming but it's going. May I suggest you get a Delorean and see if it can be modified to go back to the 50's?

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

So no sex health at all in schools, gay or straight?

You do realize that in places that don't teach sex-ed the teenage pregnancy rates and STD rates sky rocket. Just providing the teens with some basic information on how to prevent pregnancy and STDs goes a long way.

Not teaching them anything isn't going to keep kids from having sex. Teenagers are teenagers, and you can't ignore the fact they have hormones.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

You know I am religious from other threads so there you threw that in my face without me ever mentioning that...AT ALL

Then you attack me and call me a toddler for my views?

You all wonder why people won't listen when you talk....

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Basic information is fine....You said courses, having a sexual education presentation is different....

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Not really, I don't pay much attention to who's religious and who's not. As somewhat of an atheist, I don't really care what someone believes. This is why I brought it up. I have no religious objection if my son or daughter wanted to be LGBT. I wouldn't be worried for their souls or anything.

I never called you anything. Please re-read my post. Did I mention your name? Did I even mention it in some kind of context that implied it was you? No.

I'm sorry you're feeling like a hurt victim, but that's simply not the case. You need to accept the fact that you're in a growing minority when it comes to LGBT rights/acceptance. Just like 100 years ago inter-racial marriage was very looked down upon, now it's OK. In another 100 years LGBT people won't be seen as any different than you or I.

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

That attitude reminds me of a toddler that doesn't want to eat their vegetables.

Nope....Not at all

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

A highschool in San Francisco? Where almost 1/3 self identify? They probably are already hip to what GLBTQ means. The time would be better served with a pre-calculus class.

So you are saying that it is wrong for them to have a social studies course that actually let's them study these issues, or for the non-LGBT people to increase their own awareness? People have only just begun to accept such people. Taking a single class, probably for elective, is a great idea for anyone if they can find the time. There is no substitute for intensive study of these kinds of issues to fight our own bigotry.

It's just like, in undergrad I took two electives focused on ethnic issues, race, culture, etc. I took an African-American Studies course about real slave narrative literature. Then I took an American Indian studies course, which covered that history. Both were very eye opening.

A lot of people show a lot of ignorance regarding all kinds of topics like these, proving that we AREN'T at a point yet where people "don't need to learn about these issues."
edit on 23-6-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I don't feel hurt....But nobody can have a conversation without attacking the views that don't have anything to do with what we are currently discussing!

You bring it around full circle to god, hell, and that attitude reminding you of a toddler....

I am done repeating myself over and over only to have people like you attack me or my views instead of discussing the topic at hand...

I will leave you to the thread, hopefully you can jehovas witness your way to getting everyone on board with teaching their children LGBT is good and healthy, and needs discussed in schools!

Personally, if I find out that comes to any schools near me....My kids will be pulled immediately and moved to another school...If it is there as well, I will home school...Have fun!
edit on 6/23/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Did I say you were a toddler not wanting to eat vegetable? I was making a broad generalization. Please, stop trying to turn yourself into a victim. You also left out part of what I said to further twist it to make it appear I was making it about you. If you would have included the full statement:

These people are here to stay, they aren't going anywhere, and have been with us since time immemorial.

"I don't like them and I won't accept them! So there!"

I don't see any mention of you, or it being directed at you in any way whatsoever.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join