It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet Ceres shows the signs of an intelligent civilization based on photos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

I love how you adamantly say it's definitely not civilisation but it's almost certainly natural in the same post.

posted on Jun, 14 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

I love how you adamantly say it's definitely not civilisation but it's almost certainly natural in the same post.

not sure what your point was....

But Jade is correct. If you don't know why, learn a little!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
These white spots are unexplained. I'm glad the mission found something more interesting than the usual impact craters. My best guess: water ice from a comet impact. I would not expect to find any kind of structure placed on this barren space rock. A lander may be the only way to know for sure.
a reply to: neoholographic

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MarsIsRed

I believe that it was the level of arrogance showed when making the comment that is the issue and not so much what was said... or at least for me anyway. As much as you, and others, might be getting tired of people jumping to the conclusion that anything out of the ordinary is a sign of intelligent life. I am, and I am sure there are others, equally getting tired of people jumping to the conclusion that it can't be. It's true that thus far you have been correct in your assumptions while we have not... but law of averages states that eventually we will be right. Besides what makes you think that an alien species would follow the same same or even similar design stylings and idea of what is functional/practical as we would? If they truly are alien, than likely their entire way of thinking and design concepts would be just as alien.

In conclusion I'm not saying the OP is right or wrong, merely that it's an entertaining idea and for that reason alone it has some merit and shouldn't be dismissed without some sort of consideration given. After all not a single person on this thread or any other (excluding perhaps CretumOrbis) has ever seen the surface of the planet in close enough detail to definitively say one way or the other what something is or isn't. We can guess, and use logic, but in the end that's not much better than a simple wild guess since it's an alien world and anything could be possible, hell it could end up being a new energy source for us to use to power our future space ships for all I know.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Not really sure what it is, but to jump to the conclusion that it is alien life is irresponsible. It certainly is an anomaly and mertis further study.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

"I'm not saying this is something definite but how can it be blindly dismissed?" Intelligent minds make decisions based on evidence. So, that should answer your question. It's not blindly dismissed, you're just not bring anything substantial to the table. You're basically screaming, "Hey, that cloud looks like a bunny. WHY WON'T ANYONE BELIEVE THERE ARE RABBITS IN THE SKY?!?!?"

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Ceres could be older than this solar system!
it could have been a comet around a star that went nova.
and Ceres was thrown out.
and then got captured by are solar system.
if signs of life are there.
then They will hide them...

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Wouldn't other civilizations find Ceres interesting if they spotted it and wouldn't they send a mission to Ceres like we have?

One word: curiosity. What does Ceres has that Europa doesn't?

Astronomers and atrophysicists are like toddlers that sees a shiny new toy-once they've seen it then they'll stop at nothing to get to it. I know that scholars have their reasons for studying Ceres but it seems completely unremarkable, bland even. Perhaps it could help us understand the formation of the solar system, but frankly I wouldn't give Ceres a second look in terms of finding life, there are more likely candidates closer to home.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Exactly....
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Ceres is a planet??

Really??

We are still trying to find intelligent life on earth, no luck yet...

edit on 15-6-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

We will know a lot more by the end of the year or beginning of 2016 as Dawn will fly around Ceres in its current orbit until June 28 and then will start to spiral closer to Ceres. By August it should be at 900 miles (1450 km) orbit and by the end of 2015 Dawn is scheduled to be closest to Ceres at an altitude of 232 miles (373 kilometers) (from Nasa).

I could not even guess what those white spots are as I am not an expert, but so far the theories are:
Super ice that doesn't sublimate in a vacuum, impact glass, silica also created by impact hydrothermal synthesis, diamonds, Ammonium Chloride, salts, etc.

I personally believe there is a simple natural explanation but as a big sci-fi fan I would be absolutely chuffed if the bright spots turned up to be the signs of an unknown advanced civilization.

I was hoping for something cryvolcanic, but it's looking to be a negative. Ceres is not Titan. Titan, by comparison, is a lot more interesting. Lots of activity s*** going on. Frankly, I was hoping Ceres would look more like Mars and less like hte moon. Dead worlds aren't as fun.

But I wonder what value these "dead" worlds have to future colonists? Might humans someday want to live on Mercury or Ceres or some of the moons further out? Which world is better suited for it? Could be lots of factors which influence the site selection process. They might evne hone in on some of the drifting asteroids which come near Earth.

And ET life is another factor. We simply don't know everyting yet. It could be that ET life is on almost all of the planets/moons, but it's buried deeply in their crust. Or maybe it's only in certain planets/moons, dependent on many factors. Maybe, just maybe, Ceres is actually more likely to have life than Europa? Europa usually gets all hte attention because of the oceans which're thought to be below the fractured icey surface. However, our understanding of the origins of life is probably not finished. Lots of things might happen to make formerly "dead" worlds more interesting to astrobiologists.

Going to Ceres was a good idea. Whether or not it's exciting, it improves our knowledge. Real science means doing the hard work.
edit on 15-6-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Jesus christ. Do you work for Nasa?

We already know your completely boring theory. Reflective contrast blah blah whatever. Quit repeating it.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

We already know your completely boring theory. Reflective contrast blah blah whatever. Quit repeating it.

But it's the most likely. Honestly, no matter how I strain my eyes, the most I can see is some interesting terrain around hte spot. But I don't see any ET's. I don't see any rivers or lakes. They say it's not a cryovolcano either. It looks like this'll only really be entertaining to people who study planets and the formation of the solar system. The rest of us struggle.

BUT this is the nuts and bolts of space exploration and space science in general. It's not a reality TV show or a hollywood blockbuster.
edit on 15-6-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

May be boring but probly the right answer.
Do you want exciting lies or boring truth?.
Truth for meevery time.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Europa looks amazing, so beautiful, with those spectacular criss-cross chunks of ice. If life was to be found, Europa has to be the one that has it, but perhaps I'm biased as I believe life in other planets need the same chemical building blocks of life we need on our planet.

Going to Ceres was a great idea..... going anywhere in the universe is a good idea because it's helping us build new knowledge, just like you said.... I wish space travel was a possibility right now.... ~sigh~

Oh, and I also agree with Jade, her theory is not boring, nothing is boring when science is at work.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: looneylupinsrevenge
a reply to: MarsIsRed

I believe that it was the level of arrogance showed when making the comment that is the issue and not so much what was said... or at least for me anyway. As much as you, and others, might be getting tired of people jumping to the conclusion that anything out of the ordinary is a sign of intelligent life. I am, and I am sure there are others, equally getting tired of people jumping to the conclusion that it can't be. It's true that thus far you have been correct in your assumptions while we have not... but law of averages states that eventually we will be right. Besides what makes you think that an alien species would follow the same same or even similar design stylings and idea of what is functional/practical as we would? If they truly are alien, than likely their entire way of thinking and design concepts would be just as alien.

Sorry but Giorgio does it better:

edit on 15-6-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

Nope. Just college student/astronomy major who has participated in some of their programs...

It's not just my "boring theory" it's the one with the most evidence in support of it.

But feel free to speculate. If you want to know -WHY- you don't see anyone credible jumping to the ridiculous "it's a mystery therefore aliens" theory feel free to ask. But somehow I doubt you want to know.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

You forgot to drop the mike and walk out with that first line lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join