It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet Ceres shows the signs of an intelligent civilization based on photos

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite

originally posted by: lightedhype
a reply to: JadeStar

Jesus christ. Do you work for Nasa?

We already know your completely boring theory. Reflective contrast blah blah whatever. Quit repeating it.

But it's the most likely. Honestly, no matter how I strain my eyes, the most I can see is some interesting terrain around hte spot. But I don't see any ET's. I don't see any rivers or lakes. They say it's not a cryovolcano either. It looks like this'll only really be entertaining to people who study planets and the formation of the solar system. The rest of us struggle.

BUT this is the nuts and bolts of space exploration and space science in general. It's not a reality TV show or a hollywood blockbuster.

The thing people often are overlooking or simply do not know is that not all "space rocks" are alike. Some are bright. Some are dark, some are in between.

Ceres is very dark therefore anything that is light colored on it's surface is going stand out as "bright".

Here's a great collection which Emily Lakdawalla posted when talking about the same topic on her blog at The Planetary Society which I highly recommend to anyone who is interested in the Dawn Mission, Mars and solar system planetary science in general.

edit on 15-6-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

You forgot to drop the mike and walk out with that first line lol.

true.

But that's not my style.

I'm all about education and I love that people are fascinated with Ceres and the Dawn mission and the possibilities of life and even intelligent life in the universe.

That's a good thing.

But I tend to like speculation which follows the science and this stuff doesn't. It first of all ignores the basic fact that the spots are not self illuminating. They're reflective.

I'm cool with speculating about Ceres and I'm cool speculating about intelligent aliens, just not in the same thread

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype

Odds are, at some point she will, or something of the sort. She knows more about the topic than 99% of us, which certainly includes me, in this thread.

The Ceres Brightspot is, in all likelihood, a perfectly natural piece of ice sculpture that got exposed somehow.

It's reflective.

It's likely ice, which is totally cool in its own way. Along with things that we'll discover on Pluto, and the Kuiper Objects over the next few decades, this will teach us much about the origins of the Solar System, which could eventually lead to discovering how life originated here, which could lead to helping discover alien life around the stars...

That's pretty exciting if you ask me. No, its not aliens from whereever, but much more likely, and much more illuminating.

MHO, of course.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I know more mine lol

Here is a question for you then Jade.

The next lot of photos does show an ancient seemingly abandoned alien base and everyone sees it.
What do you think the space community would do? would we get an international mission to go and have a look?.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I also love to see it happen that it could be alien in origin, but I've got the feeling NASA doesn't want to lean towards that possibility.

Now for a more down to Earth approach, could quicksilver be something that's naturally formed on that moon. It's also highly reflective I would think?

edit on 0b44America/ChicagoMon, 15 Jun 2015 17:57:44 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 15 Jun 2015 17:57:44 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I know more mine lol

Ok.

The next lot of photos does show an ancient seemingly abandoned alien base and everyone sees it.
What do you think the space community would do? would we get an international mission to go and have a look?.

Well the first thing that would happen is the pictures would be looked at in every possible way to rule EVERYTHING natural out. Even if it looked like some ancient alien base the threshold to declare that is quite high and no one respectable wants to look like Giorgio so you can bet all of Dawns instruments, particularly VIR (Visible and infrared spectrometer) and GRanD (Gamma Ray and Neutron Detector) would be doing overtime looking at that possible base.

Using data from both instruments would be able to tell us things like what it was made out of and even possibly how long it has been there., ie: when it was built.

So let's assume it all checked out and it was a base that was left there by some alien species who came to our Solar System a few million years ago.

Well then it's GAME ON!!!

Every nation with a space agency will be ramping up both it's robotic and its human spaceflight development. I suspect there would be an announcement by most world leaders that we aren't alone and Mazlan Othman at UNOOSA (UN Office of Outer Space Affairs) would probably call for a special UN session to co-ordinate international space exploration efforts targeted at Ceres.

You could end up seeing either a "gold rush" type thing in absence of that (ala The Gateway series of books by Frederick Pohl) or a global space exploration agency (ala Extant, Star Trek, etc) in the wake of such a discovery.

I'd also expect a lot of companies trying to cash in by renting time on old Russian and US planetary radar and satellite communication stations offering to "Send your tweet to the Ceres Alien Base for only $20 per message" and stuff.

Beyond that it would be AWESOME BEYOND BELIEF!!!!! God knows everyone in my astronomy and astrophysics classes will be fully employed for life

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
I also love to see it happen that it could be alien in origin, but I've got the feeling NASA doesn't want to lean towards that possibility.

Now for a more down to Earth approach, could quicksilver be something that's naturally formed on that moon. It's also highly reflective I would think?

Quicksilver aka liquid mercury would be frozen sold at those temperatures. "Ok so what, what if it formed a long time ago?", well then there is the issue with dust covering it up over time. Ceres is pockmarked with impacts. The dust of such impacts would cover it up over time so if it was frozen mercury it would have to be fresh. Oh and it's not a moon. It's a dwarf planet which orbits between Mars and Jupiter.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
intelligent life needs a mechanic to check their fuel system.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
woah

that's actually a really beautiful landscape;

it's like a photograph of a thousand orbs flying mid-air, of all lengths, close up and far away; all naturally etched into the rock whilst being accented by shifting dust and ice.

really nice gradient too.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

Nope. Just college student/astronomy major who has participated in some of their programs...

We already know your completely boring theory. Reflective contrast blah blah whatever. Quit repeating it.

It's not just my "boring theory" it's the one with the most evidence in support of it.

But feel free to speculate. If you want to know -WHY- you don't see anyone credible jumping to the ridiculous "it's a mystery therefore aliens" theory feel free to ask. But somehow I doubt you want to know.

You've convinced us that you are an expert by mentioning your 'reflective contrast' thesis a few times, and showing us an image of a package that has apparently been mailed to you... Interesting.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor

Nope. Just college student/astronomy major who has participated in some of their programs...

It's not just my "boring theory" it's the one with the most evidence in support of it.

But feel free to speculate. If you want to know -WHY- you don't see anyone credible jumping to the ridiculous "it's a mystery therefore aliens" theory feel free to ask. But somehow I doubt you want to know.

You've convinced us that you are an expert by mentioning your 'reflective contrast' thesis a few times, and showing us an image of a package that has apparently been mailed to you... Interesting.

The best part is we won't have to wait too much longer. July/August will pretty much tell us what they are as Dawn's orbit will be very close to the surface.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

today's picture.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The best part is we won't have to wait too much longer. July/August will pretty much tell us what they are as Dawn's orbit will be very close to the surface.

I'll certainly enjoy returning to this thread in July/August to witness you realizing that your 'fascinating' concept of 'reflective contrast' was simply... NOTHING.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: egidio88

Certainly doesnt look like an intelligent civilization does it... ?

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I know more mine lol

Ok.

Well the first thing that would happen is the pictures would be looked at in every possible way to rule EVERYTHING natural out. Even if it looked like some ancient alien base the threshold to declare that is quite high and no one respectable wants to look like Giorgio so you can bet all of Dawns instruments, particularly VIR (Visible and infrared spectrometer) and GRanD (Gamma Ray and Neutron Detector) would be doing overtime looking at that possible base.

Using data from both instruments would be able to tell us things like what it was made out of and even possibly how long it has been there., ie: when it was built.

So let's assume it all checked out and it was a base that was left there by some alien species who came to our Solar System a few million years ago.

Every nation with a space agency will be ramping up both it's robotic and its human spaceflight development. I suspect there would be an announcement by most world leaders that we aren't alone and Mazlan Othman at UNOOSA (UN Office of Outer Space Affairs) would probably call for a special UN session to co-ordinate international space exploration efforts targeted at Ceres.

You could end up seeing either a "gold rush" type thing in absence of that (ala The Gateway series of books by Frederick Pohl) or a global space exploration agency (ala Extant, Star Trek, etc) in the wake of such a discovery.

I'd also expect a lot of companies trying to cash in by renting time on old Russian and US planetary radar and satellite communication stations offering to "Send your tweet to the Ceres Alien Base for only $20 per message" and stuff.

Beyond that it would be AWESOME BEYOND BELIEF!!!!! God knows everyone in my astronomy and astrophysics classes will be fully employed for life

Jade; A very interesting, and moving, scenario you suggest, of what could happen if possible or confirmed signs of an extraterrestrial presence were found on Ceres. It's not inconceivable that we might be in the midst of such a process right now.
Recall that anomalous infrared readings were found at the much discussed bright spots. They were no cooler than their darker surroundings, despite the natural expectation that they would be. This result was called 'surprising' by a spokesman for the Dawn mission team. It was thought that this might be due to some problem with the observations.

The area of Ceres containing the bright spots will doubtless be viewed again in the infrared, to see if the no-temperature-difference result persists. If it does, it would be more difficult, it seems, to assign any geological explanation to the bright spots.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I'll certainly enjoy returning to this thread in July/August to witness you realizing that your 'fascinating' concept of 'reflective contrast' was simply... NOTHING.

Looks like we don't have to wait even that long....

Sure looks like highly contrasting surface albedo to me... No ET city lights as some had hoped for to the point of losing all rationality.

The only question now is what that stuff is made out of and that's what Dawn's instruments will tell us in about a month or so.

edit on 16-6-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ross 54

I know more mine lol

Ok.

Jade; A very interesting, and moving, scenario you suggest, of what could happen if possible or confirmed signs of an extraterrestrial presence were found on Ceres.

Yep, too bad it's just a sci-fi scenario.

In a week or so I figure most armchair alien hunters will be bored with Ceres's brightness variations now that we're get a close look at them and they're looking perfectly natural.

I suspect they'll be moving further out, to another mission with blurry imagery. New Horizon's "canal" on Pluto*.....

* i don't actually think it is a canal of course.

(post by Iamnotadoctor removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
*snip*

What's with the insults? Limited brain cells? Can I ask what degree you have? Sheesh.

BTW: My limited brain cells urge yours and anyone else who is interested in Ceres and on Twitter to follow the hashtag #abscicon - It's a science conference. Much talk this morning was about new imagery from Ceres and the possibilities of the spots either being ice or mineral salts.
edit on 6/16/2015 by maria_stardust because: Removed ill-mannered quote.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join