It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim world reacts to Obama's latest speech

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Legman
a reply to: 727Sky

This is not what is being said guys.

I still recognize some arabic words and phrases and they were not in the subtitles.

Pretty damn funny though.

The arabic word for daughter sounds like bidt-nat (or fitahing for my girl)(I think)... Its not in the bicep clip... a few others as well as I noticed.

Btw climate change very well could be our biggest military threat. Starving people in droughts with armies... they fight. Thats what history says.

That's funny, I was going to say that from the few Arabic words I do know, they were indeed in the subtitles.

I cannot speak fluently however, but I see no reason for them to no bang on like that, it's what I'd expect, really.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Even if the subtitles are tainted, it's still correct.

And take a closer look at MEMRI-TV

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
It has been edited and the subtitles are incorrect.

The poster of the video even says as much in the comments.

IPhoneConservative 1 day ago (edited)
I must admit I find it fascinating that so many people commenting here are voicing their outrage at my editing of the subtitles in this clip from MEMRI. For those that don't know who they are...........they are an invaluable site that documents and translates much of what goes on in Middle East media. This clip was from their site.
Every day they post videos with leading Islamic figures and personalities making hideous statements about Jews and Christians. About killing gays and beating women. I wonder how many of those outraged by my use of the clip in this way are equally outraged by the real sentiments expressed on these program's?

Source

Considering the name of the account, iphoneconservative, this was a made-up clip to get the anti-Obama crowd outraged about nothing.

We already know they aren't really conservative, but at least we know they are gullible.

Lol well then. I still did hear words used in Arabic that did correspond to the subtitles. But I guess it's easy to change what is said to work with the main gist.

Kudos to the youtube guy lol..

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

From your source:

The institute was co-founded in 1998 by Yigal Carmon, a former Israeli military intelligence officer and Meyrav Wurmser, an Israeli-born American political scientist. MEMRI states that its goal is to "bridge the language gap between the Middle East and the West".[2] Critics charge that it aims to portray the Arab and Muslim world in a negative light, through the production and dissemination of inaccurate translations and by selectively translating views of extremists while deemphasizing or ignoring mainstream opinions.

Very interesting indeed.

Care to expand on your thoughts about this?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Kudos to the youtube guy lol..

Kudos for being a liar and deceiver in an attempt to breed more partisan bickering?

Hardly admirable in my opinion.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

a reply to: Legman

My apologies.

I'm very keen on propaganda and this is par for the course for the anti-Obama folks. The worst part is, many of my fellow members fell for it.

Even if they suspected it may be false, they still enjoyed it because the clip confirmed their personal political bias.

Deny ignorance indeed.

Actually the clip of Obama declaring climate change is the number one threat to the world and the USA was in his own words. The Arabic speakers whether edited or completely false had just enough truth to be very funny to me...

Take the video for what it is worth... Some got a laugh (as I did) while others cringe due to hero worship or some such political B.S. and party affiliation..

Climate change being the number one national security issue facing the USA with all the other stuff happening in the world (in real time) is laughable and probably all part of some far off agenda that must be taxed and controlled today..

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I understand what you're saying. Can i ask you a question?

Which one of the subtitles do you not agree with? Whether superimposed or not? In your opinion?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

St Udio 12k posts.... DIDNT!

lol

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

My apologies.

I'm very keen on propaganda and this is par for the course for the anti-Obama folks. The worst part is, many of my fellow members fell for it.

Even if they suspected it may be false, they still enjoyed it because the clip confirmed their personal political bias.

Deny ignorance indeed.

The funny thing is that I am not an Obama fan... but I refuse to pile on any man regardless of political feelings. I think more are like me than not... I even think more are like me here. But I might be wrong.

Was a funny video. Scary if people took this at face value.

I mean even the numbers which any 4 year old could learn in 5 minutes and listen to the audio were not there...

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: southernplayalistic
a reply to: introvert

I understand what you're saying. Can i ask you a question?

Which one of the subtitles do you not agree with? Whether superimposed or not? In your opinion?

Ill play this game....

Ever see Mad Max? Consider for a mere heartbeat that global warming is real (Im on the fence)... When a country has a military and its people are starving they either revolt or attack. Its history. Like 3000 years worth. I repeats.

Lets take an example... Lets say This current 116 degree heatwave in india that has killed 1600 people in a week is an effect of global warming. Lets pretend for a second this persists... You really think India is just going to let its billion people die while it has the third largest army??? HELL NO. Singapore, Nepal, and ESPECIALLY Pakistan will be on the plate. What is the cascade effect of this?

I am not an obama guy... but FFS maybe he think further out than 50% of the joe bobs out there and ISIS really is a pissant.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It was a funny video mocking Obama.

Not surprised that there would be people defending him and disputing the clip.

I *heart* Obama

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
edit on 27-5-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

From your source:

The institute was co-founded in 1998 by Yigal Carmon, a former Israeli military intelligence officer and Meyrav Wurmser, an Israeli-born American political scientist. MEMRI states that its goal is to "bridge the language gap between the Middle East and the West".[2] Critics charge that it aims to portray the Arab and Muslim world in a negative light, through the production and dissemination of inaccurate translations and by selectively translating views of extremists while deemphasizing or ignoring mainstream opinions.

Very interesting indeed.

Care to expand on your thoughts about this?

OH OH OH let me please!!!!!!!!!

I knew exactly what it was at the mention of "Poe's law".

Your unlinked mention of MEMRI did not in anyway apply anything from the YouTube video description.The description gives that source as where the unedited video came from.

Lastly and mostly you should really work on your sense of humor or you'll end up with ulcers.

Lighten up a little dude/dudette .

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

In what dialect?

I've always heard "daughter" pronounced ben-te as in

"shuff-nee ben-te" - show me your daughter
"tajib ben-te" - I want to borrow your daughter?
"tah-jar-ah Kevah" I'll trade coffee
edit on 27-5-2015 by 200Plus because: blame the brain damage

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

MSA...

and I just played it back... didn't hear any of that. It sounded egyptian which is fairly msa.

Did you even try to find any words in the video or just reply to me?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Care for a wager?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

In what dialect?

I've always heard "daughter" pronounced ben-te as in

"tajib ben-te" - do you have a daughter?
"shuff-nee ben-te" - show me your daughter
"tah-jar-ah Kevah" I'll trade coffee

tah-jar-ag Kevah for your ben-te?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

oh the translation isn't even close. It's a parody.

I was responding to you not to "call you out", but to potentially learn a word in a new dialect.

I once responded to a Catholic church fire in Baghdad. My interpreter spoke pigeon English and Arabic, the Priest spoke French, his interpreter spoke pigeon french and Kurdish, I had a troop that spoke Spanglish. I never did figure out what exactly happened to the church, but the multiple conversations and pantomimes were a fun diversion.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I wasn't mad man... but even in MSA I was not fluent. And when I was asked to translate Syrian or Other dialects I was often lost.

So You had a good point. There is like 6 dialects (actually many more, just the main ones) that have a lot of different words. MSA is just the Koran version of arabic and we were expected to become masters at the other dialects from it.... needless to say it didn't happen often.

My smattering of persian is even worse!!!! lol

edit on 27-5-2015 by Legman because: (no reason given)

btw in egyptian a lot of the Q sounds sound like an "ah" .... thats how you tell it apart.
edit on 27-5-2015 by Legman because: a something else

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Climate change being the number one national security issue facing the USA with all the other stuff happening in the world (in real time) is laughable and probably all part of some far off agenda that must be taxed and controlled today..

Climate change/global warming, or whatever you wish to call it, has a better chance of causing us harm than any middle eastern terrorist. The CO2 studies conducted from ice core samples alone prove that co2 has/is/was rising to extreme levels.

What I do not fall for is an agenda that will deny empirical evidence just because it contradicts their political talking points.

a reply to: southernplayalistic

It's not the subtitles that are actually the issue here. The real issue is how the viewers of that video interpret the message and the intent of the person that posted said video.

It was not to have a laugh. If it was, I'd be ok with it.

The intent was to push a political agenda, as proven by the posters comments the the yt section, and to enrage more of the ignorant masses that simply hate Obama/the Left.

Sadly, it worked. The evidence can be seen in this thread.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I do have a sense of humor, bu this was not meant to be humourous. It was meant to cause outrage within the ignorant masses. The proof is in the poster's very own comments on YT.

Also, if this is just humor, why is it in the Political Madness forum?

Seems to me that the Joke forum or the hoax forum is more suitable.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join