It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Think They Need A Gun?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: superman2012

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: superman2012

Or women who have little to no chance of protecting themselves when the ex comes busting through the door to "teach her a lesson".

Gee, there's just such a story in the OP's opening two posts.

Right, how many stories are there where the cops intercede before? I wonder what the ratio is, cops helping, to women shooting their ex's? Whatever though, let's keep guns in everyone's hands because of fear.

The only fear I see demonstrated is the one you've got for your fellow law abiding citizens. Me owning or carrying a firearm does not put you at risk in any way, shape, or form.

Would you fire at someone in a mall (if you carry in public) if they were shooting up the place? What if you miss? I have no fear, only amusement that someone feels they need to carry a firearm because they are so afraid.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Jefferton
Cultural brain-washing along with tiny-penis-syndrome, mostly.

And I am sure that you have kept a log of a meaningful sample of the male gun-owning population's penis size.

Oh snap.

Jefferton, you'll be needing this.

link   

Or women who have little to no chance of protecting themselves when the ex comes busting through the door to "teach her a lesson".

Right, how many stories are there where the cops intercede before? I wonder what the ratio is, cops helping, to women shooting their ex's? Whatever though, let's keep guns in everyone's hands because of fear.

Do you have many cases where cops show up to prevent a crime???
They almost always show up after a crime is committed.
Not ragging on cops, it is just how things work.
Cops are not clairvoyant, so they almost always operate in a reactive mode. People call the cops when a crime happens, then the cops come afterward.

link   

How many stories end with that woman dead, or seriously hurt by that ex because the cops didn't show up in time?

The cops can not be everywhere. ...and at times they're as much a problem as the criminals they're supposed to protect us from. I can understand why people might be reluctant to call them.

So why not give everyone a gun and do away with the police?

link   
The Police have no duty to protect you.

edit on 4-5-2015 by frostie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Do you have many cases where cops show up to prevent a crime???
They almost always show up after a crime is committed.
Not ragging on cops, it is just how things work.
Cops are not clairvoyant, so they almost always operate in a reactive mode. People call the cops when a crime happens, then the cops come afterward.

Obviously I meant before someone is killed or seriously hurt.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
...my guns, and my vagina would like to have a word with you.

They can talk?
Oh the stories they could tell.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: teslahowitzer
I keep and maintain an arsenal. mainly to protect my family, property and ensure freedom (you will not understand the last one). I and my family are well trained on firearms, therefore unlikely to shoot myself. If firearms become criminal, then only criminals will have firearms. Home invasions, drive-by shootings, etc., happen more and more these days, try that at my house....I do not expect all to understand this, but I will keep my weapons thank you, no matter of your "opinion"...

I understand and I agree, there will always be people that dont don't understand, because they have never lived that life.

I grew up in the country. From the time I was about 9 years old, my father started me in the training of the use, and respect of a gun. In the country, at the time that I was a child, a gun was a necessary resource. I never saw, or heard, of anyone being shot or killed by a gun the whole time I was growing up.

I will add that neighbors did not live that close in the country, doors were not locked. If your neighbor called or sent for you, you went. The people were poor. Some Black. Some White. I will not say there was no bigotry or racism, as I child I didn't recognize it. I will say, that we lived and worked together in harmony, because we couldn't "afford" to do it any other way. We all worked together or we all suffered. Very simple really.

I had guns all my life. It was just about 4 years ago that I gave up my guns. Times changed and even though I still live in the country my job had me working nights and then it took me away from home for months at a time. Not a good idea to have guns lying around waiting to be comshawed.

Now I am an old lady. Bursitis and arthritis are not good companions and they don't play fair. I have a massive family that I love dearly. I don't hoard items for them to fight over after I am dead and gone. Anything I want them to have, I give it them while I am alive so I can have the pleasure of watching them enjoy my gift. I have nothing of value to anyone but me in my home. My even elderly mother, my 19 year old, blind, deaf Rhodie, my 19 year old feral cat I rescued at 3 weeks, that thinks it is dog, and I don't think the dogs know he is different either, or they love him too much to tell him the truth, and my 11 year old female Rhodie. Yes. If it came to protecting this over the hill gang, we are a rag tag team, and would put up a good fight, and would laugh our asses off, as we traveled together into the sweet by and by.

If I was younger, you bet your sweet bippy, I would still have my guns, but all things in their season.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

In the strict sense of the term? No, they don't.

However, it is what we've come to expect. Or many of us... Do not count me among them. I'm responsible for me. ...and if in the process I have to use violence to do so, I'll deal with any repercussions as well.

Understand me, I don't sit around dreaming of killing some one... But I will protect myself, and my family by what ever means come to hand.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
there's a name for people who can't/won't defend themselves

"victim"

+3 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The only fear I see demonstrated is the one you've got for your fellow law abiding citizens. Me owning or carrying a firearm does not put you at risk in any way, shape, or form.

Would you fire at someone in a mall (if you carry in public) if they were shooting up the place? What if you miss? I have no fear, only amusement that someone feels they need to carry a firearm because they are so afraid.

Depends on the situation. I've used a firearm in war, so I'm confident in both my abilities and intent.

Do you have a fire extinguisher? If so, then obviously you must be afraid of fire, by your logic.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Why not indeed? I, for one, wouldn't miss 'em all that much... Oddly enough, I think the trouble makers would.

Contrary to what Hollywood would have us believe, the Wild Wild West was, for the most part, fairly peaceful...

Why? Because you ride up to that farm house lookin' for trouble, you were probably going to find it in a sufficiency.

My grandfather was a county sheriff during the height of Prohibition, and he had three deputies for the entirety of the county. There doesn't need to be a huge police presence, but there does need to be a sure and certain knowledge that if you're a problem, there'll be someone comin' for ya.

So, I would see no real issue with doing away with a large portion of the many police agencies around.

Bet you weren't expecting that answer...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Depends on the situation. I've used a firearm in war, so I'm confident in both my abilities and intent.

Do you have a fire extinguisher? If so, then obviously you must be afraid of fire, by your logic.

Confident in your abilities, does not equate to being 100% reliable, there is a chance you could miss. Could you live with yourself if you killed a civilian playing vigilante?
No, I do not carry a fire extinguisher around with me because I'm afraid of fires being around town. Do you?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Confident in your abilities, does not equate to being 100% reliable, there is a chance you could miss. Could you live with yourself if you killed a civilian playing vigilante?
No, I do not carry a fire extinguisher around with me because I'm afraid of fires being around town. Do you?
If you suddenly catch fire, you'll be awful glad when a passerby carries one with him though.

Same logic.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Do you wear seat belts in a car?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

The same thing could happen to a cop. Like I said, it depends on the situation.

I carry a fire extinguisher around in my car. I've used it too--to put out fires. Being prepared for a situation does not make one "living in fear." Methinks you are projecting your own insecurities upon others.

So you don't own a fire extinguisher at all? Not even in your home?

Typical leftist thought process--if something is not 100% reliable, it must be banned.
edit on 4-5-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

So a person is shooting up the mall and your primary concern is that the person saving the day might miss?

70-80% of shots fired by police officers miss the intended target.

In a perfect world, no one would carry a gun because there would be no bad people. As long as there are bad people, there will be a need for firearms.

Tell me who is more afraid: the person carrying a gun for self-defense or the person with no form of protection that just has to hope the bad people don't want to hurt them?

edit on 5/4/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Why not indeed? I, for one, wouldn't miss 'em all that much... Oddly enough, I think the trouble makers would.

Contrary to what Hollywood would have us believe, the Wild Wild West was, for the most part, fairly peaceful...

Why? Because you ride up to that farm house lookin' for trouble, you were probably going to find it in a sufficiency.

My grandfather was a county sheriff during the height of Prohibition, and he had three deputies for the entirety of the county. There doesn't need to be a huge police presence, but there does need to be a sure and certain knowledge that if you're a problem, there'll be someone comin' for ya.

So, I would see no real issue with doing away with a large portion of the many police agencies around.

lol No I wasn't.
I was expecting one that dealt with the present, not the past.
While I do agree that criminals knew what they would get if they broke the law back then, there would be just punishment. Also, you might be surprised to know that there was more gun restrictions back then, than now. If it was peaceful, that might be a good reason..

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

So a person is shooting up the mall and your primary concern is that the person saving the day might miss?

70-80% of shots fired by police officers miss the intended target.

In a perfect world, no one would carry a gun because there would be no bad people. As long as there are bad people, there will be a need for firearms.

Tell me who is more afraid: the person carrying a gun for self-defense or the person with no form of protection that just has to hope the bad people don't want to hurt them?

Maybe, just maybe, it is the person who neither carries a weapon in fear, nor fears walking in public because of a few loonies. Please explain how the second person in your "afraid example" is showing any fear? lol

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

lol No I wasn't.
I was expecting one that dealt with the present, not the past.
While I do agree that criminals knew what they would get if they broke the law back then, there would be just punishment. Also, you might be surprised to know that there was more gun restrictions back then, than now. If it was peaceful, that might be a good reason..
I'm all for common sense measures that make it harder for lunatics to get ahold of guns, just so we're clear. But the ability of a law-abiding, average citizen to carry in the U.S. should not be compromised. I wish the U.S. could be more like Japan, where even getting a gun is something so difficult, regardless of legality, that most criminals just don't bother. But guns are already so permeated into U.S. culture that removing them would require a tyrant and the loss of millions of lives. I think what the U.S. has now works great for it's landmass and culture.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join