It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Think They Need A Gun?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+59 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I hear it a lot from folks who aren't "gun knowledgeable": why do people think they need a gun?

Carrying a gun won't make you safer.

You're more likely to be shot with your own gun.

If you're living in a place so dangerous that you think you need to carry, you should move.

People who carry guns are just paranoid.

People who carry guns are compensating for something.

People who carry guns just have a secret desire to kill someone.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

I present to you, the following examples from just the last 60 days:

April 30, 2015: Police say the store employee was about to enter into the store with a bag under his arm when a man approached him from behind and pointed a gun at him, demanding the bag, possibly thinking there was cash inside.

The employee, who also had a concealed handgun license was able to turn to his own gun, pull it out and fire four shots at the man. Two or three of those shots hit the man in the chest area.
Source

May 2, 2015: A shopper with a concealed weapons permit shot and killed a man who was trying to carjack a woman Saturday outside a Utah grocery store, officers said.

The man told police he went to assist the woman, and the 27-year-old male suspect lunged at him in an attempt to grab his gun.

The suspect allegedly assaulted a woman earlier Saturday and drove to the Macey's parking lot in a stolen pickup. Once there, he exited the truck and tried to carjack the woman at about 11:20 a.m., police said.

"That may be a reason he escalated a fight to the degree that it's gone on today, and stealing cars to try to get away, because he has some felony warrants,"
Source

April 22, 2015: A Fort Worth grandmother thwarted her would-be robber Monday when she pulled a pistol from her purse and scared her assailant away.

Turner said she rolled down the window when the man said he needed directions.
“He stood there and we talked for a while, [him] just asking for directions and me giving them to him,” Turner recalled. “Never thought that when I turned my head that that young man would stick a knife to my throat.”
Source

April 2, 2015: A woman's ex-boyfriend was shot to death after he showed up at her house attempting to attack her and her new boyfriend with a brick, according to Harris County Sheriff's office.

The ex-boyfriend showed up to his ex-girlfriend's house in the 11000 block of Canyon Star in northwest Harris County with a brick in hand attempting to attack the new couple early Wednesday morning, according to HCSO.

Officers say the woman's new beau had a gun and shot the man to death.
Source

April 1, 2015: HARRIS COUNTY, Texas – Deputies in northeast Harris County say a father opened fire on three men who smashed in the front door to his family's home.
The home invasion happened before 5 a.m. Tuesday in the 14000 block of Merry Meadow.
Precinct 3 Deputy Constables said the man's wife and child were asleep in another room. The father was in the living room on the couch when three men busted in.
The dad grabbed his gun and started shooting, and the suspects reportedly fired back as they headed back outside. There were no reports of injuries, but the home invaders got away in a dark blue vehicle.
Source

April 7, 2015: A homeowner shot and killed an intruder who broke into their East Knox County residence on Wednesday morning.
According to the Knox County Sheriff’s Office, the homeowner living at 1001 Randles Road woke up to the sound of broken glass from the front window.
Deputies say the he fired one round from a gun, from the bedroom to the living room.
The intruder, later identified as James Melvin Vinson, 40, was struck and fell backward onto the porch, according to preliminary reports from deputies. Vinson died as a result of his injuries.
Deputies say Vinson had an extensive criminal history with the Knox County Sheriff’s Office and Knoxville Police Department and had two outstanding warrants in Knox County, related to a theft charge and a violation of probation. His criminal history includes theft and drug charges.
Source

April 25, 2015: A woman is not facing charges after police say she shot her alleged abusive ex-boyfriend during an attack.
The ex-boyfriend is in critical condition.
“He beat me twice. Three times, it’s a wrap. I don’t want to go through that no more,” said Moody.
Police say the 23-year-old was walking out her apartment early Saturday morning when her ex-boyfriend rushed into the home and assaulted her. Moody grabbed her gun and shot him in self-defense.
Source

April 20, 2015: Authorities say no charges will be filed against an Uber driver who shot and wounded a gunman who opened fire on a crowd of people in Logan Square over the weekend.
The driver had a concealed-carry permit and acted in the defense of himself and others, Assistant State's Attorney Barry Quinn said in court Sunday.
Source

April 14, 2015: Gadsden police say a home invasion led to a teenager being shot dead by a homeowner.
Police say a 17-year-old boy was one of three suspects who broke into a woman's home at about 3 a.m. Monday, April 13.
The woman told police the teenager held a gun to her head and raped her while the others ransacked her home.
She said two of the men eventually left her home, but the teen stayed behind, beat her in the head with his gun and demanded money from her.
The victim told police they ended up at a neighbor's home after she told the attacker her neighbor had her money.
Police say the neighbor called 911 when the woman and her attacker arrived outside his front door.
The attacker reportedly demanded the neighbor get off the phone, fired two shots into the air, and pointed the gun at the neighbor.
The neighbor, who was armed, fired a bullet into the teenager's chest, killing him.
Source

April 15, 2015: A man was shot and killed after he attacked three people early Sunday morning, according to Sgt. Trent Crump with the Phoenix Police Department.
They said Hitchins approached them and without provocation pulled out a handgun. They said the man struck one of them in the head, possibly with the gun.
Once that occurred, the victim who was assaulted pulled out a handgun and fired several shots at the man, striking Hitchins at least once.
Source

To be continued because I've run out of space...
edit on 5/4/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

April 6, 2015: Witnesses told police that three men and three women were inside the affected apartment. One of the women left the unit and encountered Quintavious Reed in a breezeway. Reed forced the woman back inside the apartment.

Investigators said Reed got into a struggle with one of the men inside the unit. The victim, who had a gun, fatally shot Reed. A second man inside the apartment was grazed by a bullet. Two guns, including one Reed was carrying, were confiscated by investigators.
Source

March 27, 2015: Police say two men in their twenties got off the trolley at 56th and Lansdowne Avenue and headed toward Media and Conestoga when two other men approached and announced a robbery.
One of the victims then reportedly pulled out a gun and shot those two robbers.
“Unbeknownst to the robbers, the 27-year-old victim has a permit to carry…has his handgun with him,” Police Lieutenant John Walker says. “He’s able to draw his handgun, firing multiple times, striking both robbery suspects.”
One of the robbers then returned fire and shot the friend of the armed robbery victim.
Source

March 22, 2015: Police say a man likely saved the lives of several people when he shot and killed a gunman inside a West Philadelphia barbershop.
A 40-year-old man was inside Falah Barber Shop Inc. on the 600 block of Preston Street shortly before 3 p.m. Sunday when police say he began fighting with another person inside.
The fight quickly escalated and the 40-year-old man took out his gun and opened fire on customers and barbers, police said.
"The person who responded was a legal gun permit carrier," said Philadelphia Police Captain Frank Llewellyn. "He responded and I guess he saved a lot of people in there."
Source

March 18, 2015: An 84-year-old man was able to turn the tables on a robber who hit him in the face and took his wallet.
He pulled his gun out of his left pocket, and that's when the tables were turned, and the robber was the one afraid.
Source

There are several more that you can read about here but I'm tired of posting: All the self-defense shootings compiled

As you can see, law-abiding citizens with guns use them all the time in defense of themselves and others but you don't hear about it in the national news. Only when innocent people get killed or when a white cop shoots a black man is it worthy of national news.

+3 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Cultural brain-washing along with tiny-penis-syndrome, mostly.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

There is no beauty in disarming the only beautiful people.
Goodness and strength should always walk hand in hand otherwise the good don't stay good, or they don't stay alive.

+52 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

Ya know how I know you didn't read any of the thread?

The women who used guns in those reports had "tiny-penis-syndrome" too, huh?

edit on 5/4/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Ya know how I know you didn't read any of the thread?

Ooooh. Ooooh. I know the answer.

Because women do not have penises.

+15 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I keep and maintain an arsenal. mainly to protect my family, property and ensure freedom (you will not understand the last one). I and my family are well trained on firearms, therefore unlikely to shoot myself. If firearms become criminal, then only criminals will have firearms. Home invasions, drive-by shootings, etc., happen more and more these days, try that at my house....I do not expect all to understand this, but I will keep my weapons thank you, no matter of your "opinion"...

+18 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

Looks like you didn't bother reading the OP.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
i think pride is just getting in the way of productive discourse, as usual, when you get down to it, pro gun and anti gun people really just want the same basic thing:
more regulations to make sure not every lunatic can own a gun.
You both want the same core things, but you are fighting against each other because the government created this idea that people that are not keen on guns want to take them away from you in the absolute sense

+18 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Its not a question of "thinking they need a gun" it is "knowing they MAY NEED ONE"

+14 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Nice thread...funny how media never reports on these stories in a major way....guess it doesn't fit the agenda.

Either way...good to know there are a LOT of good people out there willing to put their lives in jeopardy to help others when needed.

+14 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Thank you for this thread. I get sick and tired of hearing anti gun people saying all of the things you've listed, all the while depending on guys with guns to protect them. I also like that you've given valid reasons why people should be armed. Guns in the right hands save lives.
Here is another reason: If you're out in the woods, they are necessary. I live in the mountains and there are snakes here. I'm not talking garter snakes. I'm talking copperheads and rattle snakes. Also, there are coyotes. They will attack if they think they have an advantage. There are also bears. You can't outrun them and climbing trees won't work. They can climb, too.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Well, i don't know, isn't it more a show of a problem with the society, than a reason for gun ownership.

Here is the reason why guns for the public is a bad idea, though ironically it is also the reason you have to own one for protection, not that it helps much in most cases.

CLICK ME

GUN VIOLENCE ARCHIVE 2015 TOLL OF GUN VIOLENCE ( So far )
Total Number of Incidents: 15,600
Number of Deaths1: 4,087
Number of Injuries1: 7,542
Number of Children (age 0-11) Killed/Injured1: 201
Number of Teens (age 12-17) Killed/Injured1: 737
Mass Shooting2: 80
Officer Involved Shooting2: 1,431
Home Invasion2: 702
Defensive Use2: 403
Accidental Shooting2: 669

edit on 4-5-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

Thank you for this thread. I get sick and tired of hearing anti gun people saying all of the things you've listed, all the while depending on guys with guns to protect them. I also like that you've given valid reasons why people should be armed. Guns in the right hands save lives.
Here is another reason: If you're out in the woods, they are necessary. I live in the mountains and there are snakes here. I'm not talking garter snakes. I'm talking copperheads and rattle snakes. Also, there are coyotes. They will attack if they think they have an advantage. There are also bears. You can't outrun them and climbing trees won't work. They can climb, too.

Many times even a gun won't help with a bear.....has to be a large caliber with enough behind it to push through. I have read accounts of bullets "bouncing" off bear skulls before. Would hate to go up against an angry one with my .45. I believe I would be at a slight disadvantage....

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
I hear it a lot from folks who aren't "gun knowledgeable": why do people think they need a gun?

Carrying a gun won't make you safer.

You're more likely to be shot with your own gun.

If you're living in a place so dangerous that you think you need to carry, you should move.

People who carry guns are just paranoid.

People who carry guns are compensating for something.

People who carry guns just have a secret desire to kill someone.

The problem is those statements are assuming that everyone who is carrying a gun is incompetent. You could make your same arguments for driving a car if you are not competent in driving.

I have been around guns my whole life and fired thousands upon thousands of rounds never once accidentally discharging my weapon. With that...every time I touch a gun it still makes me nervous. I have never once become completely comfortable with them.

The first argument...carrying a gun will make you safer for certain situations. Having a gun doesn't mean you are invincible but in certain situations it can save your life. The best way to protect yourself is use better judgement and avoid conflict people and areas but you can't always do that as we see with some of the random mass shootings that occur.

You are more likely to be shot with your own gun: This goes back to the incompetent thing...you are more likely to die in your own car too...especially if you aren't a very good driver. This stat pulls from the handful of people that just want a gun cause its cool but never take the time to master the weapon and the safety of it. And let me tell you...ive seen an E6 in the army who didn't know how his weapon worked...

You should move: well not everyone has that option always. You go where the work is...this argument doesn't make sense because many people want guns in safe areas as well....the gun is for the one time moment in your life when things go bad. This can happen in good areas too.

Ther last 3 arguments are just attacks on gun people...some of those may be true (sometimes) but its the same as stereotyping. That is like saying everyone who protested in Baltimore also looted.

I could literally copy this thread and make it with driving...or even better yet drunk driving. Lets remove all alcohol and cars too. I think to own a gun people should have to take a course...make it a nice 40 hour course. That is enough time to get acquainted with a gun.. Then there should be another 40 hour course for concealed weapon carry. This would remove a lot of ignorance towards guns.

And last but not least: To overthrow the government if it becomes so corrupt and dangerous to its people..the people will need to be armed.
edit on 4-5-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

And you are right...Law abiding citizens with guns can completely turn the table on violence. ....
edit on 4-5-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

why do people think they need a gun?

I would like to share on a personal level my response :

Because of simple brainwashing of the sheeple throughout the years and lobbying involved including money and political power gained...

Not to mention in certain countries the amount of testosterone showing that "needs" to be done in order to look all strong and big in front of "potential" agression!

However, I am not from the USA and have a couple of shotguns and a rifle... (because I cannot afford a hunting bow which costs a darned fortune over here in France) (not to mention the yearly permit))

Guns are only for family needs as I hunt for meat....

5 dogs roaming in the garden keep baddies away... where I live

oh ohhhhh, am I in for a beating now from certain members...

Nibs
edit on 4-5-2015 by Nibbles because: Phrase changed

+15 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

You've pretty much explained it with those links.

I can add my own story to those. Thankfully it didn't come down to having to pull the trigger.

I was sitting at my desk playing on the computer (ATS, as it turns out...), when a gentleman came to my door carrying a sledgehammer, he peered into my living room window, then into my office window (actually a converted bedroom, but anyway...). Saw me, started to heft the hammer to, I'm assuming, break in the door. I reached into my desk drawer and pulled out my .38 S&W revolver that lives in my desk. Amazing how quickly he left. All I did was place it beside my keyboard will looking through the window at him. Didn't have to aim it, or anything overtly threatening...just the fact that it was there, and that I was aware of him, was enough to defuse the situation.

That's why I know why I need a gun.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Bad people will always want and have guns even illegally if they must.
Good people need legal access to guns to protect themselves from bad people.

The good people also need guns if ever their government becomes corrupted beyond repair...
Which is the situation we are now living in.

So in a sense, we almost need more good people will guns.

FYI, I don't own one and in a perfect world, I would rather that no one at all had a gun.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Good thread. All I see here are people standing up and not taking any crap. As well of course, many well deserved Darwin Awards. You can't fix stupid.

Cheers - Dave

+4 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I can prove you wrong but I'd get banned.
Some of us live in the real world, where we know the police are minutes away when you only have seconds to react. We don't live in gated communities, or countries where they've disarmed their citizens or think we're super bad asses because we know some martial arts. Try some of that when your attacker is 10 feet away and has a gun pointed at you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join