It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Think They Need A Gun?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

If you're lucky they're only minutes away...

If you live more rural? It could be half hour, or more. You must be able to, at the least, be able to attempt to protect yourself.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I guess it's because people need to carry guns when other people carry guns.

I watched — gasp! — two YouTube videos recently, one from an ATS link (sorry, I'm too lazy to go and find the thread). The ATS one was a police-car 'dashcam' video of some cops trying to subdue a family group of 'Christian' musicians who seemed to be high on something and were beating up a Wal-Mart employee in a hypermarket parking lot. It ended badly, with one of the family members being shot dead by the police after he grabbed an officer's gun and shot him in the leg with it. What amazed me — and most of my friends who watched the video — was how token were the police officers' attempts to resolve the situation non-confrontationally. They went in prepared for violence, and that is what they got.

The other video showed some Swedish cops on a New York subway using nonviolent techniques to separate two homeless men who seemed to be trying to kill each other. No guns were employed. But then, neither of the homeless men had a gun either (and what were a group of Swedish cops doing vacationing together in NY anyway, eh? Maybe attending a police convention?)

Anyway, I watched these two videos (I'm not American) and I got to thinking that policing techniques have to be different in America, or some parts of it anyway, because a good chunk of the populace is armed to the teeth. And I thought about all the situations people can get into, in which a gun in their pocket can seem like the solution to a problem, and I thought, well, it isn't just cops, everybody has to walk around in public with the knowledge that people around them are carrying guns. And might fire them.

I can't understand how that can make anybody feel secure.

edit on 4/5/15 by Astyanax because: of the shot.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Cultural brain-washing along with tiny-penis-syndrome, mostly.

And people say that conservatives are the ones prudishly obsessed with sex. This is the typical ad hominum attack and it's old.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
people like what people like. I don't much care about it. I do think it's weird how eager people are to want to carry them around, but whatever. I have small handgun at home. I think I still know where it is, and if there are any bullets for it, they are probably 20 years old by now. I do know it isn't loaded.

I've never felt the need to carry it around, and probably never will. If someone else feels the need, then whatever floats their boat. Except those long arms douches. There's my exception. Those people a just looking for attention they didn't get from their family or something. I just flip them off when they do their stupid little takovers of the local strip mall.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
What about when society collapses and you have a wife and children.
Im not a fighter, I hate violence, but that gun on me could save 3 lives.

I can see america collapse before most of europe.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

So, people need guns to protect themselves from other people with guns/weapons?
People with guns, are people that are afraid of other fearful people/cowards with guns.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The ironies of leftists calling for gun control and "only the police should have guns" while at the same time calling for justice for Mr. Gray for his murder at the hands of those very same police.
edit on 4-5-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I have a friend that was a 911 operator for many years.

And the number of times he prayed to god that someone had a gun to defend themselves while people were breaking into their homes are too many to count. He told me many stories of people hiding in their closets calling 911 because they no way of defending themselves from home intruders.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Or women who have little to no chance of protecting themselves when the ex comes busting through the door to "teach her a lesson".

Gee, there's just such a story in the OP's opening two posts.

+2 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Me, my guns, and my vagina would like to have a word with you.

Well, I still technically own my firearms, but since they aren't permitted in Japan they're back in New Mexico with my parents. Still, I shot fairly frequently as a means of leisure, and was pretty good at it. Aside from the occasional Coyote on the property eyeing the chickens, we never had to use our firearms in self-defense. In rural New Mexico, guns are fine. They protect you from wild dogs and the occasional badger, and when you're bored, you can go bullseye tin cans out near the barn.

So what was that about cultural brainwashing and tiny penises?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
The ironies of leftists calling for gun control and "only the police should have guns" while at the same time calling for justice of Mr. Gray for his murder at the hands of those very same police.
Nail, head, etc. Quoting for truth.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

And I am sure that you have kept a log of a meaningful sample of the male gun-owning population's penis size.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Then there is the act of owning a Gun just for ownership. Patriots love to practice their rights just for simply doing so.

'Merica

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Or women who have little to no chance of protecting themselves when the ex comes busting through the door to "teach her a lesson".

Right, how many stories are there where the cops intercede before? I wonder what the ratio is, cops helping, to women shooting their ex's? Whatever though, let's keep guns in everyone's hands because of fear.

+3 more 
posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012

originally posted by: seagull

Right, how many stories are there where the cops intercede before? I wonder what the ratio is, cops helping, to women shooting their ex's? Whatever though, let's keep guns in everyone's hands because of fear.

The only fear I see demonstrated is the one you've got for your fellow law abiding citizens. Me owning or carrying a firearm does not put you at risk in any way, shape, or form.
edit on 4-5-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
everybody has to walk around in public with the knowledge that people around them are carrying guns. And might fire them.

I can't understand how that can make anybody feel secure.

Never once have I worried about others around me who are legally carrying a gun , or may fire them . What , you think everyone just starts firing their weapons for sh*ts and giggles ? Ye haw , pew , pew , pew , yee haw !!!

I am all for CCW/gun rights . I own weapons (guns) myself but I do not carry . I do not think people around me are just going to start firing their weapons for no reason . Most all the CCW people I know , always carry and you would never know it . It is not like they are those want to be gangsters who love posting pictures of themselves on Facebook posing with their (illegal for the most part) guns .

Nor do I think people who carry concealed weapons walk around in fear . But , I would rather have it and never need it , than need it and don't have it .

+2 more 
link   

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

How many stories end with that woman dead, or seriously hurt by that ex because the cops didn't show up in time?

The cops can not be everywhere. ...and at times they're as much a problem as the criminals they're supposed to protect us from. I can understand why people might be reluctant to call them.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
...my guns, and my vagina would like to have a word with you.

They can talk?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join