It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unidentified Lying Object at the LHC.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 3 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Recently there's been talk of a mysterious object showing up in the vacuum tube at CERN.

De Roeck is a leading scientist on CMS, one of the Large Hadron Collider’s key experiments

"It will take only one significant deviation in the data to change everything,” De Roeck said. “The upgraded machine works. Now we have to get to the real operation for physics.” But work remains to be done. One issue the accelerator physicists remain cautiously aware of, he said, is an “Unidentified Lying Object” in the beam pipe of the LHC’s 17-mile underground tunnel, a vacuum tube where proton beams collide and scatter particles that scientists then analyze for keys to unlock the mysteries of the Big Bang and the cosmos.”

The unidentified lying object turns out not to be a problem for the operation, it’s just something to keep an eye on,” De Roeck said. “It’s in the vacuum tube and it’s not a problem if it doesn’t move and remains stable.”

Now I usually shy away from this stuff as I'm not a very scientific kinda guy, but this just strikes me as weird. They're not even checking to see what this thing is. They don't know what it is or how it got there either. Am I Missing something here? Shouldn't this be like a shut down event kind of thing?

This object apparently appeared out of nowhere and is just lying there. Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be? An internal component maybe? A bit of metal shaved off the tubing? Anyone!? His words just don't inspire confidence in me at all.

This bit concerns me the most " it’s just something to keep an eye on". Well okay, then what is it? He's a scientist but he's content to call something 'it' in one of the most highly debated scientific studies in modern history? I'm confused.
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

Link added after as per request.

esciencenews.com...

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Link?

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

www.science20.com...

esciencenews.com...

Sorry I always forget to include the link. I apologise, there's a myriad of links one could follow for this however, I'm surrpised it hasn't been reported on already - ATS is usually quick to report on things like this.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

2paragraphs.com...

So far all I can find is fringe media reporting it.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
That's it............We're all DOOOOMED !!!!!

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

There is also.

I'm leaning toward a totally mundane reason for it. Maybe a little conductor or something. Who knows? But why wouldn't the scientist just say what it was. Maybe it's something as insignificant as dust.

esciencenews.com...

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
One of my dead relatives?

You would think that they would clean out that thing. It could possibly effect their results somehow.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Cool…

This time everyone is wary of the "Unidentified Lying Object" problem, called such because if there is even the tiniest debris - a nitrogen particle - the beam could be disrupted. Such an object would be unidentified because the beam pipe is a sealed vacuum.

Read more: www.science20.com...

As I understand these things the vacuum in vacuum systems is many times purer than in space. The smallest particle of anything can disrupt the works, but shouldn't present a problem if it doesn't enter the beam.

ETA:Like a mass spectrometer, any other elements would give false readings. They want to smash subatomic particles together after all. Personally, I think they will just end up developing better weapons and maybe space drives but what do I know?
edit on 3-5-2015 by intrptr because: ETA:

+13 more 
posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I've E-mailed the guy responsible for the claim and asked what his reason was for saying what he did. I'll have his response in due time and re-post it, with his permission, in this thread.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Strange. The item would have to be so that it does not react at all to electromagnetism. If it did , should not all those very powerful magnets they have to keep the particles "in line" rip that object into its basic sub particles (i.e almost disintegrate) it?

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

If it did , should not all those very powerful magnets they have to keep the particles "in line" rip that object into its basic sub particles (i.e almost disintegrate) it?

It would, giving false results, let alone the possibility of beam disruption.

Absolutely nothing can enter the beam during a shot or run or what zit called…

Vacuum sputtering systems work this way and any foreign object ends up contaminating the plasma. I don't know enough about CERN to carry it much further than that.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Cool…

This time everyone is wary of the "Unidentified Lying Object" problem, called such because if there is even the tiniest debris - a nitrogen particle - the beam could be disrupted. Such an object would be unidentified because the beam pipe is a sealed vacuum.

Read more: www.science20.com...

As I understand these things the vacuum in vacuum systems is many times purer than in space. The smallest particle of anything can disrupt the works, but shouldn't present a problem if it doesn't enter the beam.

ETA:Like a mass spectrometer, any other elements would give false readings. They want to smash subatomic particles together after all. Personally, I think they will just end up developing better weapons and maybe space drives but what do I know?

Unidentified LYING object...that's kind of funny actually, when I read that I thought lying as in not telling the truth.

I think the better word would be laying, because it is laying in the tube.

But let's stick with yours because it's funnier. That now describes half our media, but we can identify them.

edit on 5/3/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Some worker probably just left their lunch bucket there.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Some worker probably just left their lunch bucket there.

Did he have fried chicken?

Maybe also a bottle of Dr. Pepper?

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

ACtually no joke that did happen I think. It was like a sandwich and they came across it once...gonna see if i can find the link.

I can't find it but did find this Link to Telegraph

Guess a bird dropped some bread. There was a thread on here about it and I think it was either speculated or an original article mentioned it was a left over lunch haha.
edit on 3-5-2015 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It conCERNs me also.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: upnorthtrip
It conCERNs me also.

Colliding world views?

2nd line.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: upnorthtrip

Hoo hooooo I saw what you did there.

I really am interested in what his response will be. I'm eagerly awaiting his reply. I hope he writes back.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

No I just find it fascinating. What if it's like some super dense anti-matter, or some kind of foreign 5th dimensional goop waiting to transform into it's ultimate form!

In all seriousness though, I just wanna' know what it is. Haha.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join