It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Properties of coconut oil.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: saadad

Man, this thing is not cheap, coconut oil over here is very expensive.

Which just goes to show what a scam this whole thing is. Coconut oil is very cheap to produce and harvest. The costs are in deodorizing and de-flavouring it — but the stuff health-food fans consume is just ordinary coconut oil. Why is it so expensive?

P.T. Barnum had the answer.

edit on 9/5/15 by Astyanax because: of coconutcases.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: saadad
a reply to: PeterMcFly

I use it everyday in all kind of ways. Inside my home made toothpaste. Also in my food. But you need to be careful because this thing is heavy in saturated fat. So you can gain some weight if you overuse.

I find that it reduces my appetite, so if I have more of the coconut oil, I have enough energy and don't really feel the need to eat.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I purchase CoCoNut oil in gallon buckets, butter and shredded meat online.. I even use the oil to clean and preserve the leather upholstery in a 17 year old Cadillac Eldorado, 10 year old Audi A6 Quattro and a couple of Brooks bicycle saddles.. I rub my feet with it and put on heavy wool socks I wear with boots.. I can wear the boots and socks all week before washing the socks.. There is never any offensive odor and the socks show no wear and never compress or feel soggy when wet with sweat.. I also have used it on my dog after washing him by rubbing it between my hands then rubbing it into his fur. I then rub him down with a towel then brush him.. Dog odor is removed and he shines like a new penny... The oil will become a little gummy if too much is used.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: hypervigilant
I also have used it on my dog after washing him by rubbing it between my hands then rubbing it into his fur. I then rub him down with a towel then brush him.. Dog odor is removed and he shines like a new penny... The oil will become a little gummy if too much is used.

LOVE your ideas! Thanks! I'll remember this one for the next bath!

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Consider the dog's sensitive nose, please.

edit on 9/5/15 by Astyanax because: nemmine.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

What? He loves coconut oil and comes running every time I open it. Many people use coconut oil topically on their pets. Of the millions of topical dog treatments that contain chemicals (shampoos, flea treatments and pharmaceuticals) that smell strongly of chemicals, I should be concerned about coconut oil?

I also use apple cider vinegar on him, too.

Coconut oil for Fleas
Coconut Oil for Dog Health

To answer your concern, I'm ALWAYS aware of the dogs sensitive nose and ears. And I don't share your opinion about coconut oil.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I will never look at coconut oil the same again.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Well, if he likes it, I suppose it's all right. We don't put smelly things on dogs in our house, though.

As for my opinion about coconut oil, you're welcome not to share it. It's your money!

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I am in the UK and purchase Virgin Coconut oil online from ocado. Last ones I bought ( Nutivar 29FL OZ 858mL @ £2.10 per 100mL ) No refrigeration required melts at 76F . Organic, Cold - Pressed and Unrefined.. This works out a lot cheaper than buying from health food outlets..
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

edit on 9 5 2015 by skywatcher44 because: Added

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

What? He loves coconut oil and comes running every time I open it.

The last cat I had was craving for coconut oil. I was giving it direct in a bowl by the spoon, no mixing or flavoring. Just seeing the coconut oil bucket was making him crazy.

It gave him magnificient fur.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly
a reply to: Jukiodone

If you like the taste of coconut its a no brainer....getting used to coconut flavoured fried eggs can take a while!

Is it just me, but I've alway remarked that coconut oil seem to "attenuate" the taste of everything I cook in it.

This is true in relationship to poping corn in it. Makes the best tasting popcorn one has ever eaten.

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I've heard that the natives of Africa use coconut oil to protect and cure infestation of mango fly (skin maggot fly) by coating their entire body with coconut oil. They even carry a flask of coconut oil for this purpose.

It would be nice if anyone from Africa would confirm this info.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

You fed a cat vegetable oil?

Par for the course on this thread, obviously.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Do you have any real and constructive knowledge on the properties of coconut oil to contribute to this thread or are you simply trolling here?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
You fed a cat vegetable oil?

The coconut is not a vegetable... And coconut oil is not vegetable oil. And it's also good for cats.

www.vetinfo.com...
coconutoil.com...

I have a question for the thread... When I feed my dog coconut oil, he eats his poop ('cause it's SO delicious!). When I stop, he doesn't find it appealing. Does anyone have any suggestions to how I can feed him the oil and not make his feces simply irresistible? He usus a doggie door 24/7 and I pick up the yard every day, but I don't always catch it in time...

7 Reasons to Feed Your Dog Coconut Oil

Coconut oil prevents and treats yeast infections, including candida. The number one reason dogs are itching scratching and licking: candida.
Coconut oil improves overall skin health, and clears up skin conditions. Dogs get flea allergies, contact dermatitis, hot spots, and generally a need to itch from internal candida.
Applied topically to the skin, coconut oil promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, bites, and stings.
Coconut oil helps prevent diabetes by regulating and balancing insulin.
Coconut oil promotes normal thyroid function.
Coconut oil prevents infection.
Coconut oil promotes weight reduction and increase energy, which promotes mobility in dogs with arthritis and other joint issues.

www.mauidogremedies.com...
edit on 5/10/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Coconut oil has really saved us some major stress.

Warm it up, melt it down, and some a few drops of tea tree oil.Voila! Lice be gone!

We used to spend hours, feeling guilty treating our childrens' hair with nasty, chemical treatments.With some lice, that doesn't even work.

I wish we knew this when the our girls were little.Last time I tried coconut oil, easy to remove knits, and good for the hair.Leave it in overnight.Laundered the bedding, and that was that!You could follow up again later, if you are really concerned.Works great, and a real time-saver.

edit:I didn't use all that much to melt, perhaps 1 drop per cup of oil.Adjust the volume as required.Hair lengths, vary.
edit on 10-5-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: Added part about the volume

edit on 10-5-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: misc

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Asatyanax, Please, I was wondering where abouts is your neck of the woods?

I'm curious to see if I could get my hands on some coconut oil at rock bottom prices.We're paying $10 Canadian a pound over here in beautiful British Columbia.I consider that sweet too, it's the Nutiva jar of wonders, lol.
edit on 10-5-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: grammer

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

When I feed my dog coconut oil, he eats his poop ('cause it's SO delicious!). When I stop, he doesn't find it appealing.

Strange, maybe unrelated but I wonder if your dog is fat starved. Dogs, like cats are carnivors. Carb have no business at all in their diets. But like us, I speculate they cannot live only on protein but require the bulk of their energy coming from fat.

Modern dog food is usually rich in carb because it make more food for less $$$, and sometime low in fat. Check this link:
Dogs and Carbohydrates - A Surprising Secret Revealed

edit on 2015-5-10 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I don't think so. He eats Wellness Core dog food. He doesn't eat poop when I give him olive oil or an egg... It's puzzling.

Sorry, I didn't want to hijack the thread. I just thought someone with experience with dogs and coconut oil might have some insight.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

Warm it up, melt it down, and some a few drops of tea tree oil.

Coconut oil is an excellent "base" oil for medicinal essential oil like the way you are doing.

However, Tea Tree oil is like the nuclear weapon of essential oil. We use it when everything else do not work. It is so strong (even properly diluted) that the patient may eventually became sensitised to it (skin reaction). We use to put a couple drops of Neem oil into coconut oil like you do. Much milder and very effective against bacterial and fungus infection. Effective also for infestation of insects.

edit on 2015-5-10 by PeterMcFly because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join