It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Properties of coconut oil.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
My whole family uses it daily. Cook with it, use it in hair, after shower/bath lotion for the kiddos, etc.....great stuff!

Coconuts are pretty amazing. Between the number of coconuts and avocado's my family goes through every week, we should own stock! Coconut avocado creme sauce is one of my favorite things on fish!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: PeterMcFly

I use coconut oil every day in several ways. I have it in my coffee everyday and use it to cook almost everything. I buy it in tubs.

I saw you mentioned a ketogenic diet in my Cipro thread and now here. It's wonderful to see. It's my way of eating.

When i was drinking cofee few years ago i was also using coconut oil in it. I loved it.

I saw your Cipro thread, i know antibiotics are bad for human health even before that. If you eat and live healthy life, you would rarely need them or let me say you will not need them at all.

But my question to all ketogenic diet eaters is where do you get meat, and if you choose ketogenic diet for health reason why are you ignoring meat that is filled with antibiotics and grown hormon and even some meat producers i personally know, they say that their pigs are genetically modified. And there is some saying that if you kill animal in wrong way it release kortisol in meat.

So how can you ignore all of this problems or you know something i don't know?

Maybe it is wrong topic, but if you are simply ignoring the stated problems above, then ok, but if you know something, then please open a thread and give us info. Because i m on totally opposite diet, i eat only vegetables that grow on my soil. Main reason is healthy life style. But if ketogenic is way to do it i would know how are you solving above problems.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: saadad

I am definitely not ignoring the problem with commercial meat (or vegetables, or fruit). I eat very little meat, but we live in a small town up in the mountains and we order our meat from a place called Blackwing and have plenty in our freezer. We also shop at the local co-op.

I have also known about the dangers of antibiotics for many years, and we have used herbal medicine whenever possible for probably 15 years. I just saw that Cipro article and wanted to bring it to the board's attention.

I apologize to the OP for off topic posts...
edit on 4/30/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Ok i understand for eating and maybe skin, but for hair? Or soap?
Man, this thing is not cheap, coconut oil over here is very expensive. I know there is virgin coconut oil and we onyl have this and this is expensive. But what is the difference between virgin and not virgin.

@BH:
Yea, that looks good. Over here, even if i live in small village all farmers use all kind of craps on their animals. Especially chickens, i would not touch this chicken with stick...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm a coconut oil fanatic as well. I buy the big tub of the Gold Label virgin coconut oil from Tropical Traditions. Really good stuff. Eat some every day.

I love it in my tea. I put a teaspoon or so in my Earl Grey or Chai, with some stevia and almond milk. Yummy, and it moisturizes my lips while I'm drinking it!

Has anyone tried coconut butter? Oh my, that stuff is addicting. I have to exercise restraint or I will eat way too much!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: saadad
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Ok i understand for eating and maybe skin, but for hair? Or soap?
Man, this thing is not cheap, coconut oil over here is very expensive. I know there is virgin coconut oil and we onyl have this and this is expensive. But what is the difference between virgin and not virgin.

@BH:
Yea, that looks good. Over here, even if i live in small village all farmers use all kind of craps on their animals. Especially chickens, i would not touch this chicken with stick...

Yep....great in hair....super good detangler for the kids right after shower or in a spray bottle for the morning....just a little goes a long way.

It isn't too pricey here in Georgia where I am....we buy it in mason jars at the local farmers market usually.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

That's exactly what I buy. Ordering some today.
I haven't tried coconut butter yet. But I will now...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Tropical Tradition is a very reputable company, from what I have researched. I like how their products come from small organic coconut farms in the Philippines that use traditional methods for processing the coconuts.

If you like the flavor of coconut, then you will love coconut butter. It has a natural subtle sweetness - no sugar added. So far, I have only been eating small spoonfuls right out of the jar. There's a low carb white chocolate coconut fudge recipe I want to try, but I imagine you could eat it any way that you would eat peanut butter or almond butter.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I have been buying from them for years. But just oil until today. I happened to read your post just before I placed my order, so added some of the butter (coconut cream) and it was a BOGO offer! Score! I will be eating spoons out of the jar. I don't eat sugar at all.

Recipes Using Coconut Butter OMG! Chocolate coconut butter! That's on my list!

It's VERY dry here now and because I use the oil so much, I'm not having any dry skin problems!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I call it "Facelift in the Food Aisle". Just started using it topically in place of moisturizer about a month ago. I've ate a little too.

I have a tooth needing a root canal, and even though I didn't swish it around my mouth (unsure about the claims you can aspirate it into your lungs and get sick), I held it on the tooth a couple times a day for a couple days and I've since got relief. I am still keeping the dentist appointment, but this got me through until I can see him.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I make my own deodorant with it: dissolve bicarbonate of soda into melted coconut oil (50:50 by volume). Give it another stir as it is just about to re-set, to ensure that it is uniformly mixed throughout. To use: scrape off a peanut-sized amount with your finger nail and rub into your armpit. You'll need to wash your hands afterwards. It works brilliantly. I haven't used anything else for the last 6 months. Some people are irritated by strong concentrations of bicarbonate of soda, so you may need to experiment with the ratio.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I tried the Keto diet and was extremely strict on my carb intake, keeping it lass than 20 carbs a day. I made "bullet-proof coffee with butter & MCT oil in the morning , and consumed mass quantities of bacon. My wife was sure I was going to die of a heart attack. Instead I lost 40 lbs and felt 100% better. Prior to this I was pre-diabetic and struggled to keep my blood sugar under control. While on the keto diet it stayed in the normal range.

The first week of Keto I felt like crap, but after that I felt my energy increase. I am notoriously skeptical of diet fads but this one seemed to work for me. I went off the keto about 3 months ago but so far have only gained back 3 lbs.

My wife isn't doing keto but she is adding the MCT oil to her coffee in the morning. She too has lost some weight and her energy level is greatly increased. She usually mixes organic coconut oil with the MCT oil.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Guten Tag, Greetings and Salutations-

Check out "Ayurveda" they have a whole bunch of info as it relates to coconut oil. I "used" to have skin cancer "trouble spots" but those are gone. ( most folks are de-hydrated to begin with and then by using alcohol laden sunscreens they get even more drier which leads to dis-ease.)

By using coconut oil ALL over, at least where You're exposed to Sol (sun) When folks use sunscreen and perspire they lose that needed water. When You use coconut oil and perspire the water stays with You, fighting off dehydration. The human body is 70% water below the neck and 80% above the neck, We ARE water.

"One rubs the lotion all over..." head (shaved) ears, nose, mouth...

namaste

P.S. Y'all ever try Grapeseed oil for cooking?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I use coconut oil as a moisturizer for my skin and hair, also as a deep conditioner. I oil cleanse my face with it...I used to have super oily skin, now it's so soft, smooth and matte...(I use aloe vera gel as my toner). I only wear eyeliner and lipstick for my daily makeup, and the coconut oil removes it instantly. I mix coconut oil with sugar or sea salt, and use it to exfoliate. I brush my teeth with it every other day...

I don't like oil pulling, makes me nauseous...but putting a little on my toothbrush works fine for me. I'm not able to cook with it...that gives me nausea as well for some reason. But, I can swallow one tbsp. of coconut oil before bed each night, and I don't have any problems doing that. I'm weird. I've been losing a couple of pounds each month, and my energy level has increased since starting the tablespoon at night four months ago, haven't changed my diet or activity level in any other way, so I'm giving the credit to the coconut oil.

I usually buy 5 or 6 jars at a time from Trader Joe's...it lasts a long time. Amazing stuff!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I use grapeseed for cooking when I don't want the hint of coconut taste. But that's not often. We even love broccoli sauteed in coconut oil.

Great tips in this thread!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I use it as a mouth wash (oil pulling) and it really is much better than chemical based ones.

The coconut taste is too tempting though, it is also cheaper than other mouth washes as you can buy coconut oil by the 500g jar for pennies.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I use it for all Cooking and skin moisturising. Virgin coconut oil organic Superfood

How its made.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
How can you spray coconut oil? Unless you live in Australia and temperature dont drop below 30. But my coconut oil is compact, my toothpaste is also very hard and i need to use spoon to place it in my mouth. Then in mouth it dissolves to real oil.

Maybe your coconut oil is not 100% real, maybe they add some other ingredients to make it in oily form on lower temperatures?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: saadad

It melts at 76F (about 25C), so if your coconut oil is still solid, just warm it in some water or if you take some out with your hands and rub them together, that will melt it as well. I take a small plastic bottle in the shower with me and stick it in a cup of warm water. When I'm finished with my shower, it's melted and ready to use. (it also works great as a shaving agent).

In the summers where I live, it rarely gets cold enough to solidify, even when we have the AC running.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It must be noted that sometime coconut oil is fractionated to extract lauric acid containing triglycerides (the very best part) to sale it to pharma and cosmetic industries. This is why it is best to only get the virgin untreated "tasty" version to make sure we get the right stuff.

But like every extra virgin oil, it is not recommended for cooking. It is then better to use the cheap "purified" tasteless version.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join