It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schizophrenia doesn't exist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

It is easier to assimilate into community care as PD as it is more vague. I seen previously diagnosed as schizophrenic cases being reassessed as PD during their psychiatric reviews, which I sat in on. The evaluative procedures are tantamount to asking if they were okay and CPN / key worker reports such as my own. They were medicated to the hilt so unlikely they were exhibiting any behaviour apart from apathy.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I've always felt that everyone on Earth is 'crazy'. Some might be a little more than others; the spectrum is broad. But there is no one on this planet without illusions, Freudian mechanisms, ego dependence, influences on the subconscious as a result of trauma, bouts of depression, etc. No one is really sane, though some may appear to be more than others. I think it's part of the human experience, part of being the only truly self-aware species on this planet(that we know of).

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I agree with this.
And so do i

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
I agree with this.
And so do i

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your joke but multiple personality disorder (or Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID)) is not the same as schizophrenia. A common misconception.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
i am diagnosed schizophrenic. I have been using more than meds to block the voices. I notice people who just go with "medical opinions/terminology" to explain whats happening to them, they dont fully get rid of the intrusive voices, just calm themselves so they dont react as much. For me, haldol, risperdol, latuda didnt work. it left me with a permanent neck injury. They put me on clozapine (carbon,nitrogen, iodine etc..) which works wonders stopping the crazy loudness i was hearing. But i also use external material/mixes to help me. as well as shampoo baths ironicly help too.
hearing voices is the most horrific thing to experience because they know what your thinking/feeling/intending all the time. And can take over your mind using loud-grindy vocalizing to fear into submission.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I personally think or believe that schizophrenia is a just a bunch of bad internal habits made up by the mind.

I'm not necessarily a schizophrenic, but I did have an auditoral psychosis years back that ended up that it was self inflicted by me, and it was or will be the closest experience I had to the condition. I had heard voices for many months before and after the ward trip, and even gained the bad habit of twitching, with various psychotic effects.

The practice of meditation(even though it got me into the mess of things) did give me a better look at my own insides, and I think schizophrenia is caused by the habit of trying to think to many things at once, and is very psycho reactive to what the normally perceived conscious and the subconscious trying to gather one thought together, but like a computer, just glitches because of software malfunctions.

Schizophrenics will also have the habit of repeating the same thought over an over again, like it was multiplying but brain science has only come so far.
edit on 13-4-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak
I haven't posted recently or frequently on this site; but, I have to say, man, good on you. I dated and lived with a girl for 9 months who was diagnosed with PTSD, Bipolar Depression, and in the last month of our relationship developed Schizophrenia(she confessed that she had begun seeing apparitions, hearing voices, and that she desperately needed help[yet refused professional aid]). Our relationship ended with her threatening to eat my flesh and trying to kill me(in the span of 5 minutes)with several different methods, me going to jail(for disarming her and defending myself in the most gentle way possible), and her going to a mental health facility...all of this on a vacation in beautiful, sunny Florida. The thing is she seems to have had similar personalities as your Cindy(one child like, one proper adult, and one pure evil). The sole traumatic event, at least that I am aware of in her life, occurred only three years prior to our relationship--her mother was a serial killer and my ex discovered the decomposed bodies of her baby brothers and sisters in her mom's closet. Honestly, the whole situation has now, I believe, traumatized me to a certain extent. I have to ask: is your lady receiving professional help and how often do you encounter the evil personality?

Additionally, I have to wonder if Schizophrenia is a spiritual phenomenon. Prior to her developing Schizophrenic symptoms, there were certain phenomenon that we had both experienced...I would dare say borderline, weak, poltergeist activity(i.e. small things randomly falling/flying off of a shelf and table, something the size and shape of a large grape crawling towards us under the bed sheets(when I tried to grab it there was nothing there), scratching sounds from beneath our pillows repeatedly(regardless of where we were sleeping[in a house, in a hotel, in a tent on the beach]). Needless to say, I was more than startled, but she claimed to have had these experiences/things follow her for her entire life and showed no concern. I don't adhere to any one religion, I do have so called "holy" items from multiple religions and I proceeded to bless and pray up a storm, to no avail. Maybe these things were psychic manifestations? In your 28 years together, have you had any similar experiences?

And, again, props to you dude.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: drockEst1983

We had physical manisfestation of faces in window panes. Like when the glass is foggy, one can leave a hand print etc...? We had faces appear in the glass of a couple windows in our old home. it was built in 1886. We also had sounds of childrens laughter and a ball that would bounce down the steps. These were covered in carpet, but the sounds were as if they were only wooden. Also heavy boots would clop up and down those stairs, sounding like wooden heeled boots on wood stairs.

Full body apparritions would appear to my wife, not me. Here we are now in a new place we have seen a full bodied apperition of an older woman. We, Myself and son included, have seen her a few times in only about a year and a half. We just recently had a glass bowl, rather large, launch itself out of a cabinet in the kitchen and shatter to bits in the middle of the floor. There was no way it just fell out of the cupboard and broke on the counter just below it. The bowl landed about 4 feet out and past the countertop and hit the floor. The glass is still being found up in some cabinets across the kitchen and high off the floor!

That is it more or less for the strange activity. Well besides the missing, then reappearing objects that happens a lot. Keys, books, anything really has been placed, then it is gone a few moments later, only to be found just as it was minutes before! This is very nerve wracking to say the least, but is harmless fun for the ghosts who are doing it. SO we just let it be what it is. LOL!!

My wife is under a doctors care now for her problems. Hears voices of dead relatives and others whom she does not know. Meds keep her inline, for the most part. However when the evil one comes, meds are no help at all. Fortunately the attacks are not as frequent, as they were in years past. Alcohol seems to trigger the events most of the time it seems. A little is ok, but a lot will bring forth the demon from hell. At times when she has not been drinking we have had to deal with some problems of dramatic nature. Not a lot of physical attacks, but verbal onslaughts that will curl your hair.

The fact that I am not insane, fully yet, or have stomach ulcers is due to me being usually heavily medicated myself. I have a bad back and use pain meds heavily for that. They help keep me docile to the attacks both verbal and physical. I do not go overboard when dealing with any of this. Keeps me on level ground for the most part. There are times when I do want to hurt someone or myself, but usually those thoughts sunbside rather quickly. Fortunate for those around Me and to Mysalf as well.

Not sure if any of this has helped, but know there is someone else who has gone through some of the same as You! We aren't special. This stuff can happen to anyone! My inbox here is open to you if you want any private contact with me. Know that! Take Care. Syx.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: johnnyjoe1979

Interesting article, I have bookmarked such for further reading and consideration.

I have battled Schizoaffective disorder for well over twenty years, and while the general prognosis is that or deterioration, I have been lucky and blessed enough to have found a solid foothold in effective management and treatment of my condition.

One I settled on a workable frame of reference for the terrifying manifestations (when they arise) I was able to set myself on the path to recovery with a regimen of social assistance programs (therapy, community involvement), medications (ugh - those took forever to finally work out t w workable paradigm) and personal reflections, meditations and positive thinking to help replace negative associations with positive ones.

The fight is not over yet, and it is highly likely I will never be able to re-enter into the workforce in the capacity I once held, but I'm still alive and kicking out here and hopefully one day we can contribute something or worth and benefit to the theraputic spectrum to help others fighting this horrible, horrible mental manifestation.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: johnnyjoe1979

I am a student of psychology. I know one person with schizophrenia. he is a paranoid type. he is brilliant, self medicates with thc, and controls himself and fights the voices. he recently got published in a science journal.

I think it exists. but honestly I think it is something of a spiritual issue. it also has a lot to do with excessive amounts of dopamine. basically it is a neurochemical malfunction in many cases. why this occurs could be genetic, environmental, or a combination of factors. it isnt a death sentence though. schizophrenics arent sociopaths. they just need their medication so that their symptoms are controlled. it definitely exists. is it merely misidentified? perhaps. maybe they would have been seen as shamans in the past--but only if they get past the madness. its part of our culture to be afraid of what we do not understand. so that is why we should be open to understanding people afflicted by schizophrenia. so that we can help them and accept them.

edit on 13-4-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak
thanks, man. I don't know how to send private messages; but, I genuinely appreciate what you have shared with me...it honestly does help. things got so crazy that I began to question my own sanity. I can only imagine the patience and emotional strength you have. I still love one or two of my ex's personalities; but, until she gets professional help, I would never want to get back with her--not that it is even an option, because I was blamed for anything perceived as remotely bad that happened in her entire life and she won't even communicate with me. thanks again. it definitely helps knowing other people have been through(or are going though)similar situations. stay stong, dude!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I agree that Schizophrenia may be more of a human condition that effects everyone than a disease.
Someone tried to explain schizophrenia to me using the water allegory, mystics swim while schizophrenics drown.
That makes it sound like there is a technique to staying sane.

When I was first learning to read I remember swearing off fiction and allegorical works at the library in favor of the non fiction section. Many of the fictional works could be interpreted in so many esoteric ways. As a child you don't have the experience to draw from. I was like Ben in Faulkners Sound and the Fury, when I tried to read those pulp fiction novels full of allegorical furniture it all went black except for the door. Seemed a lot more interesting reading the history of science. Fewer places to sit studying math and Da Vinci.

Hearing voices may just be one hemisphere of the human brain resonating the other. If you can trace back to the source that is being resonated that stops it. Last night I was reading the sad story of a brilliant Japanese mathematician who committed suicide at only 31 years of age. In his memoirs he mentioned his love for Beethoven's symphony number 8.

No explanation given for his suicide, there was this muffled noise coming from my basement closet so I went down stairs to see what it might be. As I put my hand on the door knob there was recognition, it was the Beatles singing Octopus Garden. As I opened the door a cold blast hit me and the closet opened up into a huge ice cave with the Beatles playing on stage and frozen Elsa sitting in the audience. Leaning against the stage was Yutaka Taniyama reading a book of poems by Robert Frost. As I stood there gobsmacked Taniyama looked over the the binding of the book at Elsa with a ghostly stare.

End of delusion, just a moment of creative thinking. Lot of Dali stuff in that closet, probably should organize it some day maybe move Elsa, but its not a priority.

So maybe if schizophrenia is just bad brain wiring or untidy closets full of Non sequitur memories it can be improved?

edit on 13-4-2015 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: drockEst1983

Ok, Ready?
Go to where you see My avatar. There's a little green dude under it? click that, than click send message. Also to get into your message center, click the arrow at the top of the page here that is in a small circle pointing down, this opens another menue. There You will see your messages icon way on the left that is an envelope with messages written by it. Click that to open your messages center. You will ge tthe hang of writing and sending in there Bud! DO message me. Stay in touch and I will continue to help you in any way I can... Really! OK?!

As far as being blamed for all that is bad, I am in the same boat and was blamed for all the bad sh it too man. Some was my fault granted, but the rest was all her doings. She of course would not remember doing any of it in one of her other personality spells. That is totally understandable considering the situation we have here, right? Don't think I didn't pull My hair out at times going through some of the sh it that we went though Man, LOL, I tell You I was close to shooting us both!! More than once! I just ended up doing what I usually do, and let it ride itself out...... It works. Most of the time pretty well.
SO if You Love Her truly, You stay strong, get her the help she needs and be prepared to go through some rough times..... I hope You can make it work. Find a way to get ahold of Her. Maybe through a friend of hers or something. You will figure that out. Write Me. I will be looking for a message from You soon Drock. Do, Please, Write Me...
edit on 13-4-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I know this is slightly off topic but why are the voices schizophrenics hears negative.

I haven't heard of someone who is suffering from this ailment who hears positive messages played without them wanting to.

Why must it be negative?

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Anyone who says a schizophrenic can't live a full, valuable life is a flat out liar, and if they are in the healthcare profession, maybe they should get another job.

John Nash

John Nash was a Nobel Laureate mathematician who was also a schizophrenic. It is well known that many schizophrenics have above average IQs. They are also extremely creative people. I knew a guy in my old building who was bi-polar and schizo, and he was an amazing artist, as well as pretty bright. If the illness is well managed, there are numerous ways a person with schizophrenia can live a pretty full life, even if not conventionally "employable". They are employable, just not in the traditional sense, or they haven't found their niche yet. The problem is not thinking outside the box enough.

Schizophrenia is an extremely difficult "disorder" in all aspects. It can be a nightmare for the person. The warped reality a schizo person experienced is, more often than not, unpleasant and negative. On top of this, they fear abandonment, ostracism, and rejection, so they often try and hide their symptoms for years until it gets out of control. Schizophrenics and Bi-Polar people have the highest rates of suicide for all major mental disorders, even beating depression.

I am certainly open to the idea of changing how it is looked at and viewed, or if it should really be classed as a disease at all. The lack of the mental illness in more primitive, simple societies and the connection to shamen, witches, medicine men, ect. I am beginning to think more and more our mental illnesses are a product of civilized society and the kind one lives in. Who knows.

Maybe schizophrenics are really people whose minds come into random contact with other realities or dimensions. Some seem to stumble into more benevolent, or at least harmless rifts(where they meet nice friends only they can see, the voices say nicer things, they get superpowers, believe they are wizards, ect). Other, sadly, tend to end up in "the hood" where they get roughed up. You never know.

Besides, remember when like, 20 years ago, someone ranting that the CIA, NSA, and FBI were watching them and planting spy devices, was considered a raving nut. Now we call them whistleblowers.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Omg yes. A Beautiful Mind is such a great movie and story. Everything balances out. He's a superdedooperdydooper genius. He had to deal with some adversity--and he did so fully and deserves so much respect.

They're just different. They need our compassion and understanding. I trust my one friend who has schizophrenia. He's one of the most-legit people I've ever met. Although we disagree on many counts (he's staunchly atheist and I believe in Jesus lol) I have a lot of love for the guy. He is so smart--way smarter than I could ever be. I remember me and my other friend telling him to not be ashamed of how he was. Because it's who he is--and he's like that for a reason. He just has to figure out what that reason is. He can still contribute to society and give and receive love. And indeed, he has already done those things. Yeah, I don't fully understand how his head works, but I get it enough. Enough to know when to be cautious and offer help and when he has it under control.

Anyway, yeah I think attitudes toward things like this are changing at least with my generation. People seem to be willing to try to understand. So hopefully we can find new and better ways to help others in the field of mental healthcare and psychopharmacology--& within the community as a whole.
edit on 14-4-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

I don't think it's always negative. Like, what about the people who think they're the new messiah or whatever? Or are they full of mean voices too? O.O

Interesting. I wonder what the answer is. Ty for bringing up an interesting point.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SyxPak
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Yesterday I mentioned I have been in a 28 year old relationship. It is with a gal who is (clinically diagnosed) schizophrenic.
The three woman I now have are a challenge on a daily basis. Her name is Cindi. But the other two have other names, of which I have never given them one, as I felt it would only keep adding fuel to the mentalities of them. SO I have been on a roller coaster ride for years because of this. Only one of the other personalities is negative, the other two are positive. One is very childlike, the other adult and proper. The bad gal is downright evil. So it has been a definite challenge for Me here.

I say all this to add to the discussion here that Schitso's can relate in society in decent ways, usually. The bad times can be overlooked because of this.

Pat on the back Charlie. You are doing fine! I am better for having known You here and reading your thoughtful replies to other threads. They have been inspiring to Me!!

Good Job on all that Bro!! Take it easy, Syx.

Isn't schizophrenia different to a multiple personality type disorder? I'm no expert by any means but think the two are different.

I also can't help wondering if this thread maybe affirms with the doubters of conspiracies that "most of them are schizo tin foil hat wearers". I have suffered severe depression and PTSD so would also stand out as part of the "well he's had mental health problems so this confirms" they" are all mentalists" group. I don't say this to be unkind as having severe mental health issues is the worst.

edit on 14-4-2015 by High5Ghost because: Add the second topic

edit on 14-4-2015 by High5Ghost because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: High5Ghost

I think you are right. However, even though there are three peopple in one here, there is still the voices and other schitzo elements to contend with. so if you are right then She has more then just schitzo to be tagged with . Thanx for the thoughts. Syx.

posted on Apr, 14 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SyxPak
a reply to: High5Ghost

I think you are right. However, even though there are three peopple in one here, there is still the voices and other schitzo elements to contend with. so if you are right then She has more then just schitzo to be tagged with . Thanx for the thoughts. Syx.

No worries. Just edited my post so hopefully fits with what you replied.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join